Eagle Dynamics: Request a rethink on spotting mechanics.

Waxer

OK show me that program running in C++ without any other syntax or libraries.

Same thing here: that wasn't the question.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I rather enjoy correcting gross misconceptions, especially when they're being used as an argument against improving the game.

''Improving the game'' is subjective, though, especially in light of something as subjective as Gomer Pyle wailing he can't see his hand in front of his face while I can. I must have magic hacks that eliminate the problem. I've also found what people 'think they should see' vs what I as an amateur pilot 'know you can see' are somewhat in opposition. I think 'dumb gamers' and 'people that only see planes at airshows' make up a good portion of those wanting 'vision aides'.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

actually it is. according to a real fighter pilot recollection. try to find the a very popular tv show call dogfight. one IAF pilot said he could spot the fighter around 20 to 25nm while his colleague can only see around 15nm. some people has the eagle eye, probably beyond the chart that could measured.

yes you can "effectively quantify that." what if someone who calling out of bandit or bogey multiple times at longer distance than anybody who can see them?

i`d more prone to someone who was actually up there.

Yeah, that's just a visual acuity difference in those equations. That's pretty quantifiable, you know 20/20, 20/40, 20/10 and so on. Without a doubt there is variation in human visual acuity but the range is pretty well known. If you want an average pilot 20/20 vision is pretty well defined.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Maybe we should start listing all the aviation accidents where the pilots didn't see each other. You can go on Youtube right now and find all kinds of case studies and accident investigations. Those planes were usually painted bright glossy colors too.

''Improving the game'' is subjective, though, especially in light of something as subjective as Gomer Pyle wailing he can't see his hand in front of his face while I can.

You're slightly confusing two different things there, though.

One is a discussion of what to do to make DCS a better simulation in terms of how perception is being modelled; the other is an assumption that such a change would satisfy those who simply want… well… something simpler.

One is pretty much an objective improvement since we're talking about a simulator; the other is not, although the objective improvement most likely would satisfy the subjective one too… occasionally, under certain circumstances.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Maybe we should start listing all the aviation accidents where the pilots didn't see each other. You can go on Youtube right now and find all kinds of case studies and accident investigations. Those planes were usually painted bright glossy colors too.

For good reasons.

IDK, I play in VR, spotting sucks, but I've flown planes IRL and sometime spotting sucks there too. I'm just thankful for the nice smoke plumes SAMS give off so I can go kill them...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just off the top of my head, Vietnam era pilots said the early Russian sams were like telephone poles taking off with a very big visual signature. More recent sams with different rocket motors, I'm not sure what would be realistic.