F-14B AI is frustratingly stupid - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
IronMike

Unfortunately this is a DCS issue; we only have limited access to AI.

Refueling for example, AI aircraft do not refuel external tanks and so forth, fuel management is lacking etc etc.

We will see how much we can do about it and we will keep working with our partners at ED to improve them over time.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
Ironwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
Unfortunately this is a DCS issue; we only have limited access to AI.

Refueling for example, AI aircraft do not refuel external tanks and so forth, fuel management is lacking etc etc.

We will see how much we can do about it and we will keep working with our partners at ED to improve them over time.
Thanks mate, I appreciate that its not entirely a third party issue most of the time, although as I noted the F-14A AI seems to be ok with some things, so hopefully its something that can be tweaked. It really is a fantastic module and it is in means a criticism of the work done to date, I just really want to use them as both AI coalition aircraft, but as others have mentioned as AI wingmen, in Single Player, and some Multi Player scenarios.

I figure if there's no feedback however, nothing will get done by anyone!
Ironwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #13
IronMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwulf View Post
Thanks mate, I appreciate that its not entirely a third party issue most of the time, although as I noted the F-14A AI seems to be ok with some things, so hopefully its something that can be tweaked. It really is a fantastic module and it is in means a criticism of the work done to date, I just really want to use them as both AI coalition aircraft, but as others have mentioned as AI wingmen, in Single Player, and some Multi Player scenarios.

I figure if there's no feedback however, nothing will get done by anyone!

You are absolutely right, and we appreciate the feedback tremendously. Thank you very much for that, I mean it. Continously improving the quality of the module has top priority for us.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
MBot
Veteran

I also noticed that the AI F-14B will not engage multiple targets with AIM-54 simultaneously, something that the old AI F-14A does very well. Engaging fighters with a single missile at a time seems appropriate, but when intercepting bomber formations the lack of multi-target engagements is apparent.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
rikkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scofflaw View Post
I notice my AI wingman often runs out of fuel quite early into a long mission. I'm not sure if there's any AI fuel management logic on any aircraft, but I've only noticed them ditching the aircraft due to fuel with the F14.
Classic ED problem. Wingmen handle throttles as binary: Slow or afterburner. In many missions you'll see the wingman literally bail out while still ingressing to target.
rikkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #16
KiraTheCat

Any way to add a radio menu option to ask the AI about their current fuel state? Just as nice would be some kind of audio warning (radio call) when they hit certain fuel states. I'm thinking like the old 'JANE'S USN '97' wingmen would call out 'Joker fuel', and then later 'Bingo fuel'. These are real radio calls, the first being "We're getting low on fuel, and we need to think about disengaging", the second "We need to head back to the ship right now if we don't want to be swimming home."
KiraTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraTheCat View Post
Any way to add a radio menu option to ask the AI about their current fuel state? Just as nice would be some kind of audio warning (radio call) when they hit certain fuel states. I'm thinking like the old 'JANE'S USN '97' wingmen would call out 'Joker fuel', and then later 'Bingo fuel'. These are real radio calls, the first being "We're getting low on fuel, and we need to think about disengaging", the second "We need to head back to the ship right now if we don't want to be swimming home."
He does call Bingo fuel or something, though I get the impression he calls it out just before running out of fuel completely as it's pretty soon followed by punching out. It would be nice if DCS would allow this Bingo fuel callout value to be set in the mission editor.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #18
IronMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
He does call Bingo fuel or something, though I get the impression he calls it out just before running out of fuel completely as it's pretty soon followed by punching out. It would be nice if DCS would allow this Bingo fuel callout value to be set in the mission editor.
From my personal experience, since I prefer them to RTB rather than punching out, whenever they call bingo, I send them rtb. So far they always made it. They seem to go into a more fuel conservative mode then as they do not try to keep up with you anymore, but I could be wrong, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #19
elaintahra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scofflaw View Post
I notice my AI wingman often runs out of fuel quite early into a long mission. I'm not sure if there's any AI fuel management logic on any aircraft, but I've only noticed them ditching the aircraft due to fuel with the F14.
While I have ~8k fuel left, my wingman often is on Bingo, then 5-10 mins later "bailing out"..
elaintahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 AM   #20
jmarso

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaintahra View Post
While I have ~8k fuel left, my wingman often is on Bingo, then 5-10 mins later "bailing out"..
This is frustrating, but there are a couple of tricks you can use to alleviate the problem- a bit.

It's important to remember that your wingman, or especially Dash-4 if your're flying a 4-ship, are always going to be hurting on gas more than you as the lead. This is even more true if you are climbing out at full military power and they are forced into burner to chase you and join up. I've noticed using the flyby views that when a wingman gets too far behind, he'll go to full burner to get back into position.

If you are launching from a runway/carrier with 3 wingman following you, try making a slow circle back around the ship as they launch in order to give them 'angles' to join up, and not having to chase you for 20-30 miles in burner. On the climbout, go a little shallower and set about 96-97% RPM- that gives your wingmen a little 'wiggle room' on power to help them keep up and keep gas consumption down.

These things will help, but not really solve the problem completely. Even being careful, it always seems like my flight is screaming that they're out of gas when I've got a ton.
jmarso is offline   Reply With Quote