Multiplayer Radio Coms

nima2014

I hope you guys can help me/us out.

When in singleplayer and iceman is flying the plane I can do the comms from the rear seat. Now I’ve tried this with a good buddy of mine and it doesn’t work. Tanker, awacs etc. nothing is responding to me. XMTR switch is set to the right position, AM/FM is set to the right one etc etc. once we swap positions and my buddy is in the back, it works. Same positions of the switches. He ist the host of our server.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers

Edited by nima2014

I hope you guys can help me/us out.

When in singleplayer and iceman is flying the plane I can do the comms from the rear seat. Now I’ve tried this with a good buddy of mine and it doesn’t work. Tanker, awacs etc. nothing is responding to me. Xmit switch is set to the right position, AM/FM is set to the right one etc etc. once we swap positions and my buddy is in the back, it works. Same positions of the switches. He ist the host of our server.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers

It's possible that in single player you've got easy comms on, which will allow you to talk to any unit no matter what radio you try to use (e.g. if you use the default \ it'll work fine). In MP, lots of servers switch off easy radio and so you need to use the correct comms switch (and \ will no longer work for contacting anything other than the RIO IIRC). The F-14 has three mic switches - one for intercom, one for the pilot's radio and one for the RIO's radio. Make sure you're using the right one to talk to the tanker or he'll ignore you.

The F-14 has three mic switches - one for intercom, one for the pilot's radio and one for the RIO's radio. Make sure you're using the right one to talk to the tanker or he'll ignore you.

This is for the Pilot (although it's 4 actually).

The RIO on the other hand has only two mic switches (the foot pedals), one for ICS and one for the radio. When talking over the radio, the RIO needs to select whether he wants to talk over the pilots radio (UHF1), the RIO radio (UHF2) or both radios (BOTH) on the lefthand panel.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's possible that in single player you've got easy comms on, which will allow you to talk to any unit no matter what radio you try to use (e.g. if you use the default \ it'll work fine). In MP, lots of servers switch off easy radio and so you need to use the correct comms switch (and \ will no longer work for contacting anything other than the RIO IIRC). The F-14 has three mic switches - one for intercom, one for the pilot's radio and one for the RIO's radio. Make sure you're using the right one to talk to the tanker or he'll ignore you.

No easy comms on and we’re both aware of the mic switches and their functions!

This is for the Pilot (although it's 4 actually).

The RIO on the other hand has only two mic switches (the foot pedals), one for ICS and one for the radio. When talking over the radio, the RIO needs to select whether he wants to talk over the pilots radio (UHF1), the RIO radio (UHF2) or both radios (BOTH) on the lefthand panel.

As stated in my original post, the XMTR switch is set to the right position

Edited by nima2014

Since SP and MP are probably different mission files go check for the channel/freq/comm for both aircraft in the ME. Also obvious one - check volume knob.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Since SP and MP are probably different mission files go check for the channel/freq/comm for both aircraft in the ME. Also obvious one - check volume knob.

We’re using the same mission, so same frequencies etc.

Just read somewhere that there is a main issue with DCS which only allows the host to use the radio in MP aircrafts. This thread is a bit older, so I don’t know if it’s still an issue or has been fixed already. Anyone heard about this one?

As stated in my original post, the XMTR switch is set to the right position

I know, my response was directed at backspace340 :)

We’re using the same mission, so same frequencies etc.

Just read somewhere that there is a main issue with DCS which only allows the host to use the radio in MP aircrafts. This thread is a bit older, so I don’t know if it’s still an issue or has been fixed already. Anyone heard about this one?

I can confirm that this is not true. I fly the Tomcat as a RIO regularly with neither of us being the server host and I can use both radios just fine.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I know, my response was directed atbackspace 340 :)

I can confirm that this is not true. I fly the Tomcat as a RIO regularly with neither of us being the server host and I can use both radios just fine.

Okay, so we’l give it a try on a “neutral” server and check it.

I haven’t seen the post you are referring to but what you say is true...you only see this if a player is hosting the MP mission. I tested this yesterday.

If the players are not the server host then all should work as normal, just as @QuiGon mentioned above. Additionally, it not the only thing that doesn’t work as expected when a player is hosting a MP mission.

Edited by Rockrend

I haven’t seen the post you are referring to but what you say is true...you only see this if a player is hosting the MP mission. I tested this yesterday.

If the players are not the server host then all should work as normal, just as @QuiGon mentioned above. Additionally, it not the only thing that doesn’t work as expected when a player is hosting a MP mission.

Thanks dude! Do you know if they’re working on it?

I know, my response was directed at backspace340 :)

Actually what he meant about the server host is true, and here it comes: sometimes. Unfortunately with client also being the server host DCS does have issues sometimes, but they are very hard to nail down because they appear arbitrary.

It is easy to test: go on a public server and try comms, should work as intended. If it does not, most likely some setting like easy comms could be the root of the problem.

Then host a server as client and be the pilot: often the RIO wont be able to use the radios. This is what we call a server host issue. Unfortunately there is very little we can do about. For anyone not being in the host's aircraft it should not be an issue though, if it is, again it would point towards easy comms, wrong settings, wrong radio configuration, pushing wrong keybinds etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thank you for confirming. Wife and I chased this for days thinking we had a setting wrong. Then I saw this post, and as soon as I flipped who hosted the mission and who sat RIO, the fault followed, confirming the DCS issue. Thank you so much for starting the thread.