Elgato Stream Deck as configurable button box

Sorry for asking again, but I don't know if you saw or answered. Do you plan on sharing just the final code or were you considering sharing the source code as well? Not a big deal, I'm just curious on seeing if I can learn anything from it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah sorry, I saw your post and meant to respond, but it slipped my mind. The source code is available here:

https://github.com/danieltian/dcs-bios-stream-deck-plugin

Edit: At this point I'm not accepting any PRs. The code is still pretty heavily in flux and some major pieces are not implemented yet, so it's not in a state where PRs would really be helpful.

Edited by Ranma13

Ah sorry, I saw your post and meant to respond, but it slipped my mind. The source code is available here:

https://github.com/danieltian/dcs-bios-stream-deck-plugin

Awesome, thank you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

This is driving me right up the wall. I've been trying on and off to get my Streamdeck working with DCS for over a year now, and no matter what I try nothing seems to work. I've searched the forums over and over. I've searched Google dozens of times. I just can't figure it out.

Some people suggest that its an incredibly complex job to make the SD send commands to DCS, while others seem to say its as easy as 1, 2, 3. My latest effort has been to try the profile created by pelellil which is available in the User Files area of the DCS site.

I've examined the mapping of the buttons, and like many other profiles I've seen it seems as simple as assigning a Streamdeck hotkey with the appropriate keyboard command. For example, my F18 UFC "1" button is mapped to NUMPAD1, but this combination does nothing when I try it in the sim. If I try it in a blank notepad document I can see it typing the 1, but nothing ever gets sent to DCS.

Can anyone tell me why, or even better spare a bit of time at some point to walk me through this? Being able to use the Streamdeck with DCS was one of the big factors that got me to buy it in the first place, and its so annoying that I can't work this out.

@ Frostycab , I had a similar problem, I fixed my problem by uninstalling and deleting all files pertaining to Elgato I could find, app data etc then I installed build , I think it was 3.0 , I then loaded my profiles and when it was working I updated to the latest build. go here for all the builds :

https://gaming.help.elgato.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2793637-elgato-stream-deck-software-release-notes

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

@ Frostycab , I had a similar problem, I fixed my problem by uninstalling and deleting all files pertaining to Elgato I could find, app data etc then I installed build , I think it was 3.0 , I then loaded my profiles and when it was working I updated to the latest build. go here for all the builds :

https://gaming.help.elgato.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2793637-elgato-stream-deck-software-release-notes

Hi Strut! Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried that, but to no avail. I've uninstalled the Streamdeck software using Add/Remove Programs, and then deleted Elgato folders wherever I could find them. I believe they were dotted around in Program Files and also 2 or 3 folders in Users/AppData. I reinstalled software version 3.0 as you suggest. Ran a quick test in DCS with just a couple of hotkeys set up, (such as F10 and even ESC), but still no response in the sim. Ran the Streamdeck update to bring it up to 4.2, and still no luck.

I must be missing something so simple, but I just can't work it out. :cry:

I'm running OpenBeta version 2.5.4.30038 at the moment. That shouldn't make any difference, should it? I can confirm that using hotkeys appears to work in other games, as I've just run a test in Cities Skylines with the same profile.

Frosty, thats no good at all, my last suggestion is to uninstall and delete it all again including all the profiles you have and make a new one and test that. I only use the Open Beta as well, there are no problems with that.

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Frosty, thats no good at all, my last suggestion is to uninstall and delete it all again including all the profiles you have and make a new one and test that. I only use the Open Beta as well, there are no problems with that.

I tried and failed. LOL

Deleted literally everything I could find that directly related to Elgato. Exported all my profiles and saved them to Dropbox, then deleted them off my system. After reinstalling the 'deck was pure virgin. All I did after that was to create a couple of hotkeys for testing, which failed in the sim.

The 'deck seems to communicate just fine with other games and software, so I just can't get a grip on what's up with DCS. I toyed with the idea of uninstalling DCS itself and reinstalling, but with my internet speeds that means a couple of days letting it download while it eats up what little bandwidth I have. Not a pleasant prospect.

Edited by frostycab

I tried and failed. LOL

Deleted literally everything I could find that directly related to Elgato. Exported all my profiles and saved them to Dropbox, then deleted them off my system. After reinstalling the 'deck was pure virgin. All I did after that was to create a couple of hotkeys for testing, which failed in the sim.

The 'deck seems to communicate just fine with other games and software, so I just can't get a grip on what's up with DCS. I toyed with the idea of uninstalling DCS itself and reinstalling, but with my internet speeds that means a couple of days letting it download while it eats up what little bandwidth I have. Not a pleasant prospect.

Anyone got an email address for Tony Stark? Oh wait.... :/

Thanks for the spoiler.

Frosty sorry to hear no joy, apart from contacting Elgato I cant think of anything else. Sorry mate.

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Frosty sorry to hear no joy, apart from contacting Elgato I cant think of anything else. Sorry mate.

Yeah, it's defo an odd one. I've been trying to see if there's some obscure setting in DCS that might block it, but no luck yet. I'll try and fire off an email to Elgato support tomorrow if I can find time.

You can blame Microsoft for this issue. I suspect your issues is due to Microsoft thinking you are causing harm to your pc. Uninstall the software for elgato stream deck, reinstalling it in some location other than C:/Program Files. For example mine is located on my D:/Software. I think you will have success with it once you have moved the directory. Good luck.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

You can blame Microsoft for this issue. I suspect your issues is due to Microsoft thinking you are causing harm to your pc. Uninstall the software for elgato stream deck, reinstalling it in some location other than C:/Program Files. For example mine is located on my D:/Software. I think you will have success with it once you have moved the directory. Good luck.

Thanks for the idea. I should have thought of that myself, but I keep forgetting that Micro$oft don't like you actually being able to do anything with Windows. LOL

I saw your post just before I left for work this morning, and I genuinely thought it was going to do the trick, but I've just got home and tried it with no change in the results.

Just to be clear, I've got a completely fresh installation of the Streamdeck software, with no profiles loaded. All I've done with it it is create a hotkey from the SYSTEM set of keys, and assigned the ESC keystroke to it. That should be enough to produce a result in DCS shouldn't it? It's not just me being thick and setting up the buttons the wrong way, is it?

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try reinstalling DCS. :cry:

You don't run DCS in Admin mode, correct? Because if your Streamdeck is not running admin as well, DCS could simply be ignoring the Streamdeck software inputs.

Probably not the cause, but just wanted to point out the possibility.

Good luck.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

You don't run DCS in Admin mode, correct? Because if your Streamdeck is not running admin as well, DCS could simply be ignoring the Streamdeck software inputs.

Probably not the cause, but just wanted to point out the possibility.

Good luck.

Just leaving for work, but I will investigate this when I get home tonight. Thanks.

UPDATE: You, Sir (or Madam), are a LEGEND!!!!!! Where do I send the cheque???

I've just come home, and gave this a try. Shut down the Streamdeck software and restarted it as admin. Then, instead of launching DCS from DCS Updater as I normally do, I went through explorer, and started DCS.exe as admin too. Guess what....it worked!!! I've set both programs to always run as admin now.

Such a simple little thing to change, but its made a world of difference. Thank you so much! A big thanks to everyone else for all the other help they've offered too. I love you all! :P

Edited by frostycab

Dang I was hoping the install directory would solve the issue.

Running as admin is my last guess. I personally didn't have success with that, as I use SD for more than just DCS. Some programs (OBS, TIR, etc) didn't like being ran as admin.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Dang I was hoping the install directory would solve the issue.

Running as admin is my last guess. I personally didn't have success with that, as I use SD for more than just DCS. Some programs (OBS, TIR, etc) didn't like being ran as admin.

Literally just updated my my last post while you were posting. All working now. If some other software has issues with admin mode then I can happily switch between admin and normal mode. Just so happy to have this working in DCS now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an update of the Stream Deck software and guess what?

The new kid's in town:

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl

32 keyes. :shocking:

Looks promising!

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Roal Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

Yea, whish they we're out when I bought 2 of the originals.. but still very welcome

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow....now we're cooking with gas!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Elgato just announced the Stream Deck XL with 32 buttons:

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl

Available for $250:

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Stream-Deck-Controller-Customizable/dp/B07RL8H55Z

They also announced Stream Deck Mobile for iOS:

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-mobile

It's a free download, but requires a subscription for either $2.99/month or $25/year. It seems like the free download is a timed trial, but I don't have an iOS device to confirm this with.

In other news, work on the DCS BIOS plugin for the Stream Deck software continues. Progress has been glacial because I'm currently in the middle of 2 projects in addition to a full-time job, so it's difficult to find time to work on the plugin. I will finish it eventually though, so please sit tight.

huh...subscription for iOS devices? So basically use it like a generic Helios on an IPad? Interesting.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the update, Ranma13.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Roal Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)