The stupid question about PAL mode

kievbsm

Hi!

There is one question... Sorry for that - didn't find the answer in F-14's manual. :book:

For example, I see on TID many targets and see that one of them in bandit and he is around 10 miles in front of me. In addition, I see my friend not far from him.

At this time Jester uses TWS mode and I arm AIM-54. On TID I see the friendly as dot and the bandit as dash.

Of course, I understand that in that case PAL mode for me would be much useful. I turn the nose of my plane direct to the bandit and switch on PAL mode. After that, I see that target locked.

So the main question is: which airplane I've lock? Is it bandit or friend?

I tried to check with TID indication but didn't find any differences between friendly and non-friendly airplanes. :doh:

Could someone help me understand which airplane I've locked, please? Which symbol on TID will show that I've locked friend?

P.S. Jester sometimes keeps silence even I've locked friendly target.

P.P.S. Yes, I know how looks friendly and non-friendly airplanes on TID in TWS mode.

Edited by kievbsm

Use TCS to PID, it will slave to radar.

I do.

Ok, I made few experiments and found the solution.:thumbup:

The main problem that these symbols on TID are too small - sometimes during the fight it is pretty hard to see the differences between them. :cry:

The question may be close. :pilotfly:

Edited by kievbsm

If you’re flying BVR looking down at the TID, you issue is jester not being competent.

Try a real RIO, then the pilot just flies, RIO handles everything even missile launch.

Pilot just chauffeur RIO around, after the merge the roles flip.

If there’s a specific airplane you’ve got your nose pointed at, you might want to consider PLM as well. PLM puts the AWG-9 to boresight and locks what it sees. It’s akin to Boresight Acquisition in the Hornet.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Problem with PLM is limited range down to 5n, vs PAL 15nm.

Ultimately this boils down to situational awareness. Sort your bandit/friendly prior to engaging PAL, so you know for example, the left guy is friendly, I need to lock the guy on the right.

With most setups, and if you zoom in, you will see a dot in the sky, which should help. But situational awareness comes from a mix of radar, rwr and visual spotting. Your decision should be guided by your SA.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/