Operation Persian Gauntlet - Jane's F-15 Iran Campaign Reimagined

GrizzlyBear83

!!!DCS 2.5.4.30386 Stable Version REQUIRED!!! (Due to some F/A-18s using JDAMs)

• Revert to Open Beta version 2.5.4.30038 if you experience crashes during the anti-helicopter missions in the beginning of the campaign. Thanks to Gryzor.

• If that doesn’t work, or you don’t want to revert, use the campaign file in the “Optional Campaign File”-folder which omits the three anti-helicopter missions from the campaign structure. Just overwrite the regular “Operation Persian Gauntlet.cmp” file with the one found in the “Optional Campaign File”-folder and you’re done.

Introduction:

The breakdown of the Middle Eastern peace process has increased the anti-western sentiment in the Middle East, and with war brewing on the Korean Peninsula, the number of US military forces in the Persian Gulf are reduced to cope with this new threat. Only a single aircraft carrier remains to enforce the Iraqi no-fly zone.

The moderate president of Iran is assassinated and ultra-conservative clerics seize power and quickly denounce American presence in the region. Soon, under the cover of a major military exercise, Iran suddenly moves thousands of troops onto several disputed Gulf islands.

And when a US flagged tanker is sunk in the Strait of Hormuz, and many more oil tankers are damaged by mines, the world’s oil markets are in turmoil. The Strait of Hormuz has been closed to western shipping.

Your carrier strike group represents the majority of airborne striking power available to CENTCOM should air strikes against Iran become necessary.

Original mission design: Skunkworks Baltimore Design Team

Mission re-creation, additional mission design, and additional text editing: GrizzlyBear83

• Same storyline and briefings as the original Jane’s F-15 campaign.

• A wide array of missions, fr om combat air patrols, anti-ship, carrier defense, CAS, and air strikes.

• 67 missions.

• Noob friendly missions, you will always start on the catapult.

• Be an integrated part of larger Navy strike packages with fighter and SEAD support.

• US Navy centric campaign.

• Target imagery for fixed targets.

• Kneeboard page with mission essential information for all missions.

Links:

Download link

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305232/

Jane’s F-15 Iran Campaign Intro

Jane’s F-15 Iran Campaign Lose

Jane’s F-15 Iran Campaign Truce

Jane’s F-15 Iran Campaign Win

Jane’s F-15 Soundtrack

Required files:

!!! DCS 2.5.4.30386 Stable Version REQUIRED!!! (Due to some F/A-18s using JDAMs)

DCS Persian Gulf

DCS F-14

Recommended files (aircraft will revert to default liveries if not using any of the below):

F/A-18C Lot 20: VFA-82 Marauders Pack

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301107/

F/A-18C Lot 20: VFA-86 Sidewinders CVW-1 Line Bird

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300821/

E-2C/D Hawkeye Skin Pack

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174666

Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) Skins

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300696/

IRANIAN F-14A ( IIAF & IRIAF ) Asia Minor & Blue-Sand [Generic]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301691/

IRAN ARMY AVIATION AH-1J(W) International Cobra (I.I.A.A. & I.R.I.A.A.) [Generic]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302069/

IRANIAN AIR FORCE (IRIAF) M-2000C Blue-Gray [ FICTIONAL ]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302536/

IRAN AIR FORCE (IRIAF) SU-24MMK Old Skins Pack [Generic]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302142/

Edited by GrizzlyBear83

Really love this, Remember flying the F15 version in the past ;)

I only have a problem, I have a CTD when I shoot down the helicopters in mission one. Same happens on my sons PC if he tries this.

Anybody has a clue what is causing this and how to workaround this? I do not even get the option to send the logs to ED, it just goes to the desktop.

Kind regards, Marcel

Sounds great, have to try this. Thanks for all the effort that went into remaking these in DCS.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Really love this, Remember flying the F15 version in the past ;)

I only have a problem, I have a CTD when I shoot down the helicopters in mission one. Same happens on my sons PC if he tries this.

Anybody has a clue what is causing this and how to workaround this? I do not even get the option to send the logs to ED, it just goes to the desktop.

Kind regards, Marcel

That never happened when I play tested the missions. Hmm. Weird. Aren't there bugs reported when using the PLM/PAL modes? Are you using them? I've had instances of crashes when using those modes (not only during the missions mind you).

I'm gonna test fly one of the helicopter missions and see what happens.

Ah, yes I was indeed using PAL to lockup the helicopters (in both cases on the two different machines). Wasn't aware that this is a known problem at the moment.

Thanks, now I know how to workaround it.

Best Marcel

Ah, yes I was indeed using PAL to lockup the helicopters (in both cases on the two different machines). Wasn't aware that this is a known problem at the moment.

Thanks, now I know how to workaround it.

Best Marcel

Good. Try again and see what happens. I don't always crash when using PAL, but it does happen.

Hi,

Tried again, this time used VSL Low (or is that in the same buggy category?). Was already on my 6th heli or something and had at that point not even a lock and then it happened again. BTW don't think it is in any way caused by the mission, must be something with DCS or the F14. Checked the DCS logs and there is nothing special in there. Checked the windows event log and indeed an access violation (0xc0000005) is reported for DCS.exe. Had that before but for some reason in this case I do net get offered the chance so send a but report including dump file.

Best Marcel

I hate hot starts, so I would change the missions to cold ramp starts to fly them. Would that cause any troubles with mission timings if I would do that?

Edit: Would it also be possible for me to make the wingmen client aircraft as well to fly the campaign with friends in coop, or do the wingmen have to be AI?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I hate hot starts, so I would change the missions to cold ramp starts to fly them. Would that cause any troubles with mission timings if I would do that?

Edit: Would it also be possible for me to make the wingmen client aircraft as well to fly the campaign with friends in coop, or do the wingmen have to be AI?

As I build the missions for myself, and I considered there is probably more then just me that is a beginner, and I don't have the time nor do I think it's fun, to start up a airplane, thus the missions start on the catapults. Plus it make things easier with mission timings.

You can do whatever you want with the missions. And changing them to client is totally fine, obviously, and changing to clients will not alter the missions. Keep in mind, most missions are a copy with only change in time. E,g; one stage will have mission A and B, the campaign randomly picking a mission for you to fly so you don't waste time changing all missions if you so desire.

With that said, the timings would be wonky if you start up the F-14, with Fighter Sweep and SEAD getting far ahead of you, most likely taking out all airborne enemy fighters, and air defenses long before you arrive. The flights could become a bit boring without proper opposition/action.

But, some of the Iranian alert jets will only react to you activating a trigger. So you could still encounter Iranian CAP.

Your choice.

Edited by GrizzlyBear83
  • Like 1

With that said, the timings would be wonky if you start up the F-14, with Fighter Sweep and SEAD getting far ahead of you, most likely taking out all airborne enemy fighters, and air defenses long before you arrive. The flights could become a bit boring without proper opposition/action.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. It's a problem with many campaigns in DCS, when changing them to cold start. I guess this campaign is not for me then :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. It's a problem with many campaigns in DCS, when changing them to cold start. I guess this campaign is not for me then :(

Early in building the missions I tried to have support linger at waypoint 1 and fly on ahead when the player entered a trigger, but they behaved strange, and flew in the opposite direction of the flight plan. Otherwise a startup would have worked.

To bad man.

Would changing the spawn times of the AI flights to, say, 12-15 minutes after mission start not fix the issue? Then they would spawn/takeoff right around the time or after the player has finished alignment or even after cat launch.

Maybe, I'm not well versed with start up times.

Another thing, although un-immersive, is to place a trigger, say around waypoint 1 activated by player, and have Figher Sweep and SEAD on late activation and let them start in the air (maybe around waypoint 1) and then they'll just fly their mission.

Or have support take off from the carrier, but on late activation which is activated by a player trigger somewhere away from the carrier. I do that on one mission when I have F/A-18 strikers as well as SEAD on the carrier, the strikers activate when the SEAD F/A-18s enter the trigger.

Had the same DCS crash with the latest OB when I shot down the last Mi-8 in the first mission.

Hope it'll get fixed with this week's update.

Edit: Apparently not, just a stable branch push this week.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!