How to simple UFC ?

dureiken

Edit 04/2020, finally done :

1586783225-babf18.png

Printed on sticky A4 paper and I added a sheet of transparent sticker paper before punching the pants.

Fusion 360 files :

------------------

HI

I would like to builde a simple F18 UFC for VR : just buttons and rotary.

What is the best way to do that ? I would like a USB card which is known as a directX controler if possible, like ICP Vipergear and MFD.

Thanks a lot

Edited by dureiken

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=180&zenid=e6349654da048c70f630d0848b730a59

That can be used if you want potentiometers, you can use a cheaper BBI board if you can settle for rotary encoders. It's plug n play and all documentation and help is on the site to get it working the way you like :)

thanks a lot

what difference with : http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=205

yes...for volume increase/decrease you can use rotary encoders. LeoBodnar works fine with momentary push buttons. Arcaze boards are good if you need on/off switches.

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris

yes...for volume increase/decrease you can use rotary encoders. LeoBodnar works fine with momentary push buttons. Arcaze boards are good if you need on/off switches.

and what is the best for DCS F18 UFC only ?

I already have an Vipergear ICP for F16

thanks

It's up to you. The LeoBodnar board pop up as a 40 button joystick. Arcaze boars needs a simple macro progamming for the keyboard commands.

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

It's up to you. The LeoBodnar board pop up as a 40 button joystick. Arcaze boars needs a simple macro progamming for the keyboard commands.

A Leo bodnar BU0836X will do fine too, you can use 32 buttons and 8 potentiometers, if you use 2 rotary encoders for the Chanel selectors, you can use 28 buttons, 2 encoders and 8 potentiometers, everything is described on the Leo bodnar store how to make it work, it will show up as a joystick

What is the difference between a potentiometer and a rotary encoder? As far as how it is normally used?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Rotary encoder is the one that clicks and just keeps going around, so a button press for clockwise and a button for anti-clockwise.

A potentiometer usually have a stop and smooth turning, it's also seen as a axis, so not a button.

So it depends on what you want it for, lighting knobs are usually potentiometers.

Encoder can be used for knobs like radiochannel selection.

Leo bodnar BBI boards can't use axis, but encoders work fine.

It's just a cheaper board if you don't need axis.

The BU0836X can take 8 axis and all the things that work with a BBI.

Rotary encoder is the one that clicks and just keeps going around, so a button press for clockwise and a button for anti-clockwise.

A potentiometer usually have a stop and smooth turning, it's also seen as a axis, so not a button.

So it depends on what you want it for, lighting knobs are usually potentiometers.

Encoder can be used for knobs like radiochannel selection.

Leo bodnar BBI boards can't use axis, but encoders work fine.

It's just a cheaper board if you don't need axis.

The BU0836X can take 8 axis and all the things that work with a BBI.

So how many buttons does a rotary encoder have? Just 2? Up/down? On/off?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Bear in mind that if using encoders, a BBI-32 doesn't have enough inputs for the whole UFC. By my count it needs 40.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

@ snacko, there are both just rotary and rotary with push, the later is most useful for sims IMO. That does require 3 inputs per encoders, (cw, ccw, push).

As Brun says, a BBI32 doesn't have enough inputs, you would need the BBI64 or equivalent.

I'd go for a BU0836X in this case, if pots are used where it should.

But I haven't counted inputs,

Buttons need 1 input,

Toggles need 1 per "on" state

Encoders need 2 or 3 depending on push or not

And potentiometers need axis.

Hope that helps :)

They look very similar to the ones I used so should be ok. The ones you link so say they're 'non-indexed' which I guess means they don't click as you turn them, which makes sense for this applcation. The ones for the COMM knobs need to have a push-button function.

To be honest I found the encoders awkward to use. Seemed you have to turn them quite slowly for each click to register, and there's a large disparity in 'turn-rate' between the physical and virtual knobs. I ended up ditching mine for pots and am very happy with the result.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

They look very similar to the ones I used so should be ok. The ones you link so say they're 'non-indexed' which I guess means they don't click as you turn them, which makes sense for this applcation. The ones for the COMM knobs need to have a push-button function.

To be honest I found the encoders awkward to use. Seemed you have to turn them quite slowly for each click to register, and there's a large disparity in 'turn-rate' between the physical and virtual knobs. I ended up ditching mine for pots and am very happy with the result.

yes I can push and rotate them

edit : for my UFC I would have 20 buttons and 2 or 4 rotary (comms and maybe volume ?). BBI 32 should be enought ?

what do you use now ?

thanks

Edited by dureiken

what do you use now ?

This

I started with a BBI-64, but had a spare BU0836A knocking around so I decided to try that for the pots. Means my UFC needs two USB ports, but I've used the spare inputs on the BBI-64 for landing gear/hook levers and am in the process of adding a master arm panel.

The pots I used were these and despite the cheapness and crap photos, they're great.

This

I started with a BBI-64, but had a spare BU0836A knocking around so I decided to try that for the pots. Means my UFC needs two USB ports, but I've used the spare inputs on the BBI-64 for landing gear/hook levers and am in the process of adding a master arm panel.

The pots I used were these and despite the cheapness and crap photos, they're great.

I already looked at your amazing thread but my project is million miles away from yours !

Just the beggining :

bc6066a9a34e1b764fdfc147c1af91974632b2e6.png

for VR, no display , just buttons of the upper part of the UFC.

The part at the bottom will be to insert the third MFD

Update

20191108_201457.jpg?width=682&height=910

Sir, are you willing to share the .STL files for that? It seems to fit my likings.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

yep of course

stl and step files :)

once it's finished, next week I hope, waiting bbi card !

I´m all in then, looking for a list to order switches rounded and squared.

Much appreciated it.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle