DELETE PLEASE MODS

LORD FLASHEART

Great video thanks for sharing:thumbup:

I was going to post about this shortly, so I will post here as it's on topic with this video.

How do comms generally work for Case I, are they similar to Case III? I have setup a mission where the AI are circling the carrier port side (Sort of;)) and I'm in between by 1000 feet, that's closer than you think too!:) Just thinking of setting up some comms.

CV-NATOPS oct99

1. Case recovery

2. Expected BRC

3. Altimeter

4. Expected “Charlie” time (if other than briefed).

Aircraft shall normally be switched to tower control at 10 nm after reporting the ship in sight (“see you”).

End Quote

I have based the comms text below from the Case III, thinking that it would be very similar?

Video start time for below 0:54 sec

Hornet:

Marshal, 301 and 300 checking-in, marking your 330 for 25, low state 6.5

Marshal:

301, Freedom Marshall, Case 1 Recovery, Expected BRC 360, altimeter 30.01

Marshal:

301, Marshall, angels 5. Expected approach time 33, approach button 17, time 18

Hornet 301:

301, Marshall, angels 5. Expected approach time 33, approach button 17

Marshal:

301, read-back correct, squawk 7144

Other possible Comms as said by Lex?

Report the initial (3 miles at 800 feet before carrier, spin it etc)

Is there an "Expected approach time" or does the tower call when to start the descent out of the case I stack into the break pattern? I know it's from lowest to highest from the stack.

The squadron/unit recovery order and altitude assignment shall be as promulgated by ship/air wing doctrine.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi David, I’ve been writing a script for the new VFA-113 CV NATOPS film and talking to real US Navy Carrier pilots and LSOs and I believe it’s mostly zip lip meaning no comms required.

They know their expected commence time from the overhead stack, they base their intervals on the number of aircraft ahead of them in the stack. The carrier turns into the wind at the right time and they get it on with zero radio comms.

Our online squadron is getting close to be able to do this but we still have a bit of chatter around commence times as it’s complex. I am creating a series of animations to explain the intervals and procedure.

We will always do ball calls though because it makes for more interesting approaches for the PLAT videos.

Obviously case 3 is another level and requires comms.

Here’s a link to our old case 3 training page that has more of the transcript plus some simplified NATOPS images I made:

http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/http:/www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/city-life-photos/styled-8/

Edited by JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

Was he flying as a singleton? I noticed from commence to initial he turned hard enough I can't imagine any wingmen being able to keep a tidy formation with him. The other jets seen on the break as he was taxiing appeared to be singletons as well. I wonder if formation breaks are done straight in without any holding?

As far as comms go, you'll get a normal check-in with marshal on button 16, after they read the Case recovery, BRC, and altimeter, they'll tell you to give a "See me at 10(NM)". Once you are at 10 NM with Mom in sight, you'll say "[side Number], see you at ten" to which Marshal will reply, "Roger, go button 1." From there, you'll be zip lip on button 1.

Squadrons have assigned altitudes in the stack. 2 fighter squadrons at 2K, 2 fighter squadrons at 3K, Growlers or Prowlers at 4K, Hawkeyes at 5K, and recovery tanker at 6K. You must be at your squadron assigned altitude by 10 NM. You can hold as 1-4 aircraft (single all the way up to a division). If there are 2 divisions at the same altitude for example, they will hold cross circle from each other.

There are no EATs in Case 1. It's a visual determination based on literally looking down at the deck and determining how many aircraft there are left to launch to set yourself up for commencing with proper timing. The first plane (and any wingmen he has) at 2K in the proper timing to commence will do so, followed by the other plane (and any wingmen he has). Once an altitude has been vacated the stack will collapse down. For example, once everyone has commenced out of 2K the aircraft at 3K will descend (aft and abeam the ship) to 2K, the aircraft at 4K will go down to 3K, etc.

Keep in mind, all of this is done zip lip. If it sounds like the wild west, well, that's because it basically is.

As far as comms go, you'll get a normal check-in with marshal on button 16, after they read the Case recovery, BRC, and altimeter, they'll tell you to give a "See me at 10(NM)". Once you are at 10 NM with Mom in sight, you'll say "[side Number], see you at ten" to which Marshal will reply, "Roger, go button 1." From there, you'll be zip lip on button 1.

Squadrons have assigned altitudes in the stack. 2 fighter squadrons at 2K, 2 fighter squadrons at 3K, Growlers or Prowlers at 4K, Hawkeyes at 5K, and recovery tanker at 6K. You must be at your squadron assigned altitude by 10 NM. You can hold as 1-4 aircraft (single all the way up to a division). If there are 2 divisions at the same altitude for example, they will hold cross circle from each other.

There are no EATs in Case 1. It's a visual determination based on literally looking down at the deck and determining how many aircraft there are left to launch to set yourself up for commencing with proper timing. The first plane (and any wingmen he has) at 2K in the proper timing to commence will do so, followed by the other plane (and any wingmen he has). Once an altitude has been vacated the stack will collapse down. For example, once everyone has commenced out of 2K the aircraft at 3K will descend (aft and abeam the ship) to 2K, the aircraft at 4K will go down to 3K, etc.

Keep in mind, all of this is done zip lip. If it sounds like the wild west, well, that's because it basically is.

Thanks for this MooneyTail:thumbup:

While here, can you tell me what the procedure would be if you were running low on fuel while in the stack or for bolter or two:cry: for case 1. Do you exit out to the recovery tanker (aft and abeam the ship) and extend out? Then go up to 6K? Will the tanker fly a straight line for a bit to help you out or does he have to hold in the 6K pattern? Also how would you get up to the tanker from the bolter position, straight out back to BRC then up after 10 miles and come back at 6K?

This is zip lip, (tower/marshal) would have an idea how much fuel you had left I'm guessing after making the first call and how long you have been in the air/bolters.

Is this the same for Case III, how do you exit the stack and make your way to a tanker? Thanks again:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Great video!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

I have a great sound file of their comms during a CQ!

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR

I have a great sound file of their comms during a CQ!

You cannot come here and say that with sharing....:(

Man his other videos are cool too, not many views tho? I like the videos with no music and edits, you really get to feel what its like to do the job. He even has the walkout and walk back from the jets, full walk around, grabbing the data cartridges etc.:)

Here are few more, checkout his channel.

Great vid, I kept thinking boy his graphics are good and that TrackIR is smooth, face palm, it is real life...

Just out of interest his left and right DDIs are refreshing in a strange way, you guys think that is just a issue with the filming sync. Camera and DDIs are out of phase or something.

You cannot come here and say that with sharing....:(

Man his other videos are cool too, not many views tho? I like the videos with no music and edits, you really get to feel what its like to do the job. He even has the walkout and walk back from the jets, full walk around, grabbing the data cartridges etc.:)

Here are few more, checkout his channel.

Whaoooo. Very interesting videos of the pilot doing the real thing. I can imagine the responsibilities that rest on the pilot shoulders. Serious business.

The cockpit is actually much smaller than what we see in sims.

Also wondering which is the data cartridges. The ones he slipped in at the back of the seat or the ones he put in inside the cockpit(aft left-hand console )

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Great vid, I kept thinking boy his graphics are good and that TrackIR is smooth, face palm, it is real life...

Just out of interest his left and right DDIs are refreshing in a strange way, you guys think that is just a issue with the filming sync. Camera and DDIs are out of phase or something.

nothing wrong with the refresh rate its all about his camera, just do a search on any aircraft on utube and it will be the same thing when they show any of the displays

Whaoooo. Very interesting videos of the pilot doing the real thing. I can imagine the responsibilities that rest on the pilot shoulders. Serious business.

The cockpit is actually much smaller than what we see in sims.

Also wondering which is the data cartridges. The ones he slipped in at the back of the seat or the ones he put in inside the cockpit(aft left-hand console )

The cockpit to me seems very much to scale. I do a little work in 3D and always draw in 1:1 scale, no reason not to, cannot see why drawing aircraft, aircraft cockpits, airports or cars would be any different in a 3D sim.

Also, many here zoom back to far to have more view, if you set the zoom to real size it should look like you looking through a small box the size of your monitor, then it will look to scale.

In VR the cockpit looks and feels that small, I tried to capture it here recording the Oculus Mirror screen. Sort of shows it.

Go full screen with the video and you will get an idea.

Edited by David OC

The cockpit to me seems very much to scale. I do a little work in 3D and always draw in 1:1 scale, no reason not to, cannot see why drawing aircraft, aircraft cockpits, airports or cars would be any different in a 3D sim.

Also, many here zoom back to far to have more view, if you set the zoom to real size it should look like you looking through a small box the size of your monitor, then it will look to scale.

In VR the cockpit looks and feels that small, I tried to capture it here recording the Oculus Mirror screen. Sort of shows it.

Go full screen with the video and you will get an idea.

Rightly so David.

You Vr videos depicts the scaling very well.

The real pilot do not have the leisure of zooming back and forth like we do. So the zooming changes the perception in the 3D cockpit.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

starting video

On the video of him walking around and then starting the aircraft, it looks like he is doing alot more stuff then we have to do. He is entering alot of data in the UFC and button pushing alot on the MFDs before the canopy comes down. It looks like the FCS page is up on the left, anyone know what he is entering/configuring?

At one point it looks like he goes thru a bunch of stuff on the UFC turning it all on.

I love that pre-flight / start up one too. Being able to see the time it takes to walk out on the deck and do all that stuff without bits cut out.

The rocket training flight is also amazing for these reasons.

I watched this video and was fascinated by the guy signaling the hornet pilot during pre-flight checks and startup.

Just music to my eyes.

What are they called? I guess they and the pilot attended a special training school for what each movement represent.

Sorry for the delayed response! Having never had a tanker option available, I never really paid attention to those procedures so I'm probably not the guy to ask about that stuff, but I'll tell you how I understand it works.

Hopefully you would have managed your gas so that you aren't staring a fuel problem in the face once already in the stack. Marshal will ask you your fuel state one last time when you do the "See me" comm described above. Additionally, you are supposed to let the boss know on Button 1 if you are going to be "Tank+1 (pass) on the ball" meaning that you have this pass and one more before you reach your tank fuel state and have to hit the tanker. If you end up hosting Bolterfest 2018 and reach your tank state, you're supposed to depart the stack almost like you're doing a Case 1 departure and once outside of the stack, climb up to meet the tanker. I am almost positive they just keep holding overhead so you'd be hitting the tanker in a turn. Again, if someone has more accurate information on this feel free to correct me.

It's a big faux pas to arrive late to the stack, but if you do, you will basically be put in the penalty box and will probably get relegated to the top of the stack, or Boss will be directive and put you cross circle from the Hawkeye or something like that. Due to the large size of the Hawkeye, most Bosses like to land them last or second to last with the tanker being the last, just because of the deck space issue.

It's actually not unusual to see the tanker cut in front of the Hawkeye in the stack for the above reasons. Their only responsibility of the tanker is to make it obvious to the Hawkeye crew that the tanker is their new interval.