perception of speed is not good

dali

Drop any of the DCS fighters to 200' and push them to 450 Knots, with a decent FOV through the Caucus Valleys, pretty sure there isn't much different with the way speed is represented, most end users don't have 270-360 vision, unless they're using VR.

The sensation of speed for me isn't an issue, but the feeling of altitude is way off.

If you take any aircraft up to 12-13,000 feet, and look down, it looks nothing like 2.5 miles down, the scaling is poor, as in way over scaled, and it looks more like 5-6000' as opposed to 12-13,000'.

As a recreational skydiver, with 85 jumps, mostly from 12-13K feet, all over the glob, the terrain objects looks too over scaled, compared to what it should be, look at the main buildings, and the lush tree's, they're mahoosive compared to reality.

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

• 6 months later...

I’m a private pilot and that’s one of the first things I noticed. You are blazing 900km/ hr at 100ft AGL and it looks like you are flying much slower, maybe around 150km/hr I would dare to say. Still a great game! I been waiting for technology to get to the point where flight sim becomes significantly refined. It’s getting there, main issue for me is this speed incongruency, and the headsets are good enough to give you the element of immersion into VR, but things like refresh rates and frames per second, not there yet. Soon I hope.

The problem is you're looking at the world through a 20-something inch monitor in most cases that is 2-3ft away from you, with a variable FoV. That is why everything feels "small" in most games. It has nothing to do with rendering and everything to do with that, and no, there is no fix for it except to have a larger screen and a narrow FoV. This is observable in EVERY GAME EVER. It's the limitation of using a monitor.

Example, in vanilla Arma, step up to a large helicopter. Observe it seems small, despite supposedly being big. Step away and observe a man standing next to it who is obviously dwarfed. Set your FoV to 80' or less (which is approximately what RL corresponds to the window you're looking through). Now look at the helicopter and observe that it seems correctly gigantic, however, you can't see because your FoV is so restricted.

So, do you want to see your environment (arguably important in a flight sim) or do you want true-to-life scale? Adjust your FoV appropriately.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Us Pimax 8K backers will have a good shot at seeing exactly what the FoV increase brings in terms of sense of speed in DCS. I think once we get those in our hands we will have a lot better info to judge just how well or bad DCS translates speed in sim. SweViver has been testing it and has used DCS with it and probably could say right now if sense of speed jumps huge with a 170/200 FoV.

+ 1 on the sense of speed. I believe a lot has to do with the world scale as mentioned by Oban above. Everything is too large and it feels like flying with some constant zoom being on.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It has to do with looking through a small box 2-4 feet in front of you that has a high FoV so you can actually see what's happening around you.

If you want 'true to scale' do this :

Take the real world measurements of say, an MFD and estimate where it would be and its relative size then zoom the FoV in until it would be approximately the same size/location (yes it will be off screen). Boom. You're now true to life and can't see, because you're looking through a very small window.

It isn't 'rendering scale' it isn't object sizes, how your eyeball focuses has nothing to do with it. It is Field of View.

Field of view shrinks and distorts etc because you're displaying more to the sides, above or even behind you (you can technically display full 360' spherical view) WITHOUT also increasing the envelopement of the ''window'' through which you're looking. It's like a flat mirror vs a curved fisheye mirror. They may be approximately the same apparent size but one is displaying a much wider FoV.

It's the same as with a flat mirror in general, for that matter. ''Objects are closer than they appear'' they say. Stick your face right against it and it becomes 1-to-1 though.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It should be basic knowledge. Nothing really to explain. We can only get close to 180 degrees of real fov with hayuuuge flat screens - not a good solution. Only spherical displays can be the future (for VR too).

For now get the biggest screen or multimonitor and bring it closer to you for best results.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Looks like the trees are scaled up - like 6 meter tree models scaled up to represent 30 meter trees, while 6 and 30 meter trees should have quite different model and silouette. So either scale down the trees, or use appropriate tree models for respective sizes.

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

My personal perception in DCS is that I also think the feeling of speed doesnt really cut it.

Might be scaling or something else, for me it lacks a bit of adrenalin and the "rush" feeling.

But it depends on so many things, FOV, VR, resolution, Zoom etc...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Scaling is always been bit off, just eject to city and use VR helmet , somethings just dont look right.

Sense of height is not working.

My warning level is high so i don’t say much more.

But problem is how everything is scaled. Buildings are somehow small looking. VR made it even more obivious than monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt it's a hard scaling problem and more of a perception issue.

DCS is not a simple game that "cheats" the visuals. The map and the objects are built to scale. The size of the trees can be debated, but that's about it.

I found that using an Oculus greatly changes the altitude and scale perception. I first noticed it in a game you may know, Elite Dangerous. It's got huge spaceships and stations and I always found them too small on screen. Once I tried VR, the true sense of scale was incredible, overwhelming.

I had the same experience with DCS. I always struggled to land the P-51 smoothly. Once I tried the Oculus, I could judge speed and altitude much better.

Oculus and Vive are still not great though and I don't use it that much. The resolution is not there, making text hard to read, the FOV is still not enough, but the perception of size is vastly different.

I found that using an Oculus greatly changes the altitude and scale perception. I first noticed it in a game you may know, Elite Dangerous. It's got huge spaceships and stations and I always found them too small on screen. Once I tried VR, the true sense of scale was incredible, overwhelming.

I had the same experience with DCS. I always struggled to land the P-51 smoothly. Once I tried the Oculus, I could judge speed and altitude much better.

Oculus and Vive are still not great though and I don't use it that much. The resolution is not there, making text hard to read, the FOV is still not enough, but the perception of size is vastly different.

How is the perception of speed when using VR?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

How is the perception of speed when using VR?

Well, I'm no fighter pilot and I only used Oculus with P-51, but as I said, I could better judge distances and speed. Feeling the proper landing attitude for example was easier. Also, I loved flying really low and around the tall buildings of Tiblisi, something that was much harder with screen only.

I will play again with Oculus with the F-15C. I don't use Oculus all the time because I find it tiresome for the eyes and it also screws with your sense of equilibrium (when you do a barrel roll for example, you get conflicting sensations and it's nauseating).

I doubt it's a hard scaling problem and more of a perception issue.

DCS is not a simple game that "cheats" the visuals. The map and the objects are built to scale. The size of the trees can be debated, but that's about it.

Absolutely, I was stunned at how big aircraft are in VR, especially the F15 when compared to the F5 (what I was flying at the time). The other funny thing is how small cockpits actually, on a screen they seem huge, in VR they look pretty small and cramped, which is how they really are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FV_-joIM8A

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Well, I'm no fighter pilot and I only used Oculus with P-51, but as I said, I could better judge distances and speed. Feeling the proper landing attitude for example was easier. Also, I loved flying really low and around the tall buildings of Tiblisi, something that was much harder with screen only.

I will play again with Oculus with the F-15C. I don't use Oculus all the time because I find it tiresome for the eyes and it also screws with your sense of equilibrium (when you do a barrel roll for example, you get conflicting sensations and it's nauseating).

It sounds like you should try and use the rift more often. The first times when I used the rift with DCS I also felt a bit sick. But after playing DCS in VR everyday for about a week, I did not feel sick anymore. The more you use the rift the more your head gets used to it. I even tried to set all graphics options to max including pixel density to 2.5. I had between 7-12 FPS, completely unplayable but I did not get sick :)

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Yeah, I'm no fighter pilot too, but watching videos like these below show me how perception of speed IRL is much higher than in the game. I don't know though if there are any videos like these made for VR, that would be ideal...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map