X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

I have friction issues with my x55 stick... Some rudder friction and X and Y cuased by that ring being pressed down by a spring

I tried silicone based grease but thats a 5 min fix.. i dont really feel like disasembly of a brand new stick.

Any suggestion here?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Scruffy,

Saitek Support (Madcatz) sucks. I had 3 different tickets open with them when I first got my x55 last Feb 2014. The longest was open for 3 months I think, and they solved none of the problems at all. I tested my x55 on 3 separate computers at the time and identified the same problem on each. They were no help... On 'repeating key' bug was fixed by a driver update. Another problem 'I think' was fixed by skipping using a USB Hub and plugging directly into my pc. And the biggest problem was solved by a post online about Teamspeak capturing keys. So, don't expect Support to help much. But they did offer to replace my x55 under warranty, but since I solved my own problems I kept it...

If your stick rattles and they twist does not work, it sounds like it's broken. Mine does not rattle and the Z axis works. Keep posting to support and request a replacement. If it's still under warranty that should not be a problem. Just bite the bullet and do it... But you could plug it into a different pc and make sure the problem is with the stick and not the pc. Good Luck.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I think I'll wait for X55Pro. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Yes i got it Frday on November 28, so it's brand new and still under warranty.

Thanks for your post, it made me realize that i should have better waited until i had enough money for the TM Warthog instead of going for this train wreck... :mad:

Qui volatum expertus est caelum deambulabit spectans quia fuit ibi eoque redire vult.

Well, it's a nice piece of hardware for the price. Once you get it working.. Backup the drivers & software that works and don't have to ever deal with Saitek support again you're good to go.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Hi Everyone.

One thing that surprised me allot is that the use of a simple "Powered USB Hub" has eliminated several problems regarding the Rhino.

I didn't believe something so simple could actually be better than just plugging the HOTAS into separate USB slots when I was reading this Thread, but it's true.

A Powered Hub eliminated all my issues.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my X55, I have ghosting but with the stick. The Castle Hat also hits the trigger and buttons 4, 5 and 6.

I've tried two computers, both are Intel with an ASRock motherboard. Tried USB 2 and 3. Reinstalled drivers, tried Win 7 and Win 8, tried unplugging every single USB and only leaving the stick on.

Funnily enough, the throttle works flawlessly.

I haven't tried with a powered USB Hub but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Right now the only solution I've found is to unmap the castle hat from games.

Saitek support has only responded with automated emails, useless.

Do you think the stick may actually be defective?

Hi MatuX

Trust me .. it sounds weird and highly unlikely, but I almost Guarantee that any inexpensive Powered USB Hub will solve all the issues with Ghosting etc. It almost doesn't make any sense to me ... but It WORKED.

The moment I plugged both Throttle and Stick into the Powered Hub (which has 7 usb slots and only cost me $7), all my issues were resolved .. instantly.

I seriously think you should give it a try.

Best of Luck Friend.

[...]1. Multiple button and 2. Ghost button presses[...]

...are no TS related issues (Mad Cats Support was wrong). It´s caused by a Power issue in case of a too less Power supply to the PC and will thus end up in Ghostpressing issues. To fix this get an USB Hub that provides USB 2.0 or 3.0 Support and which also provides self supporting power supply and connect the stick with it.

I have None of the above mentioned issues (well at least so far :D ).

as this thread has a certain amount of Posts already...so sorry if this answer has already been given, I dont have enough time atm to read through all the pages.

EDIT:

Hi MatuX

Trust me .. it sounds weird and highly unlikely, but I almost Guarantee that any inexpensive Powered USB Hub will solve all the issues with Ghosting etc. It almost doesn't make any sense to me ... but It WORKED.

The moment I plugged both Throttle and Stick into the Powered Hub (which has 7 usb slots and only cost me $7), all my issues were resolved .. instantly.

Best of Luck Friend.

It´s not that much weired and unlikely. Considering the amount of LED´s and functions that Need to be power supplied, it actually makes totally sense if the sticks behaviour is a Little strange without additional power Support.

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Hi MatuX

Best of Luck Friend.

Got my $29 Hub, same behavior.

I'm declaring the stick defective. Unfortunately, Saitek hasn't even replied to me. Worst case scenario, I'll have to unmap the castle hat from games which is not the end of the world, either.

I really appreciate the help, though :)

loving the stick but after a few months of use now i have a problem that is a real pain.

every time i unplug the x55 the pc stops responding, when i move the mouse the courser stutters across the screen and beeps at me. i open the task manager and it is blank on all pages.

i tried using just the drivers and i get the same but it only beeps at me when i click a mouse button. im assuming it is a driver issue and i agree with everyone so far, their support sucks big time.

love the stick though and everything works great bar the unplugging bit :(

It may not be a X-55 that is the problem, I have not experienced this problem with my X-55 but with my thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X system. But it tends to be the game that freezes and not the pc when I unplug it. Do you have other devices connected to the USB Hub as well.

Could be a onflict between but most probably not, but it worth a check I Think.

DCS World Online, SU25, SU25T, A-10 A, Black Shark 2, F15C, SU27, Combined Arms, A10C. Flight Controls: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200 3.5GB, 1TB Int HDD, 2TB Int HDD, 2TB Seagate Ext HDD, 8 Gb DDR4 1600 Ram, Geforce GTX 760 2GB GPU

It may not be a X-55 that is the problem, I have not experienced this problem with my X-55 but with my thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X system. But it tends to be the game that freezes and not the pc when I unplug it. Do you have other devices connected to the USB Hub as well.

Could be a onflict between but most probably not, but it worth a check I Think.

yes i have other stuff connected but it has been this way since i bought the x55 and it has only happened in the past few weeks, plus i have tried it in other ports and it still has the same effect. this is why i think it is dodgy drivers. i have downloaded the older version and will try them today i hope.

I have had nothing but issues with the x55, its been a paper weight since 6/6/2014.

the profile set up will not show in the task bar and its running behind the windows, I know its there when I alt tab and see it.

who ever they have program doesn't know shiet about windows or they don't care.

I believe there not even interested in programing it any longer, because they tell me the same procedures every time for installing the drivers, that do not work for installing the damn thing.

buyer beware but on a side note the throttle controller no issues with windows.

:joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I have to correct myself a Little. I have been biased too much as it seems. I connected my device(s) at a powered USB Hub and Ghostpressing issues did not appear. But what I encountered instead was another issue. If I want to hold TMS up Long for example, so it wasn´t possible because the respective key Input was like this: _ _ _ _ _ instead of: ______ (Muliple buttoninput issue).

After the mentioned fix above, this Problem was solved (Teamspeak Settings).

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

So, time to toss my experience in. I have the ghosting issue. BAD. Games are completely unplayable. I've plugged it into USB 2.0 ports and 3.0 ports. No difference. I've plugged it into an externally powered hub. No difference. I've re-installed the drivers. No difference. I've disable USB port sleeping in windows. No difference. I've re-installed my motherboard drivers for the USB ports. No difference. I've sent Saitek my Dxdiag, and they're supposed to get back to me by Tuesday. But here's what gets interesting: Through this whole thing, I cannot even get the windows test page up for the throttle quadrant. All of the ghosting is in the throttle, the stick works fine both in games and on the test page, but the throttle won't even give a test.

I have an AMD chipset as well, running windows 8.1

Before you think you have to return your fresh X-55 Rhino, try to COMPLETELY uninstall EVERYTHING regarding the X-55 Rhino! I had some issues myself, but I managed, and now it works perfectly fine and im very satisfied with the HOTAS.

Do this as your last attempt, when everything else didnt solve anything.

I recommend having a external USB Hub to the HOTAS. That fixed my HOTAS when it was randomly pressing the buttons on the throttle like every 10th second..

Lets start

Uninstall the Mad Catz SST Software (The programming software)

Go to "Device Manager" and locate your HOTAS. It should be under "Human Interface Devices"

Uninstall all X-55 devices. Should be like 6 of them.

-> Unplug your X-55 HOTAS

Go to C:\Windows\Temp and delete the folder "Mad Catz"

->Open Device Manager->View->Show Hidden Devices

Delete every X-55 devices under "Human Interface Devices" again.

-> Restart Computer, and connect your HOTAS by starting with the Stick followed by the Throttle. Install the Mad Catz SST followed by drivers.

YOU sir. You deserve a beer. Nay, a full case! Hours on the phone with Saitek yielded nothing, but with your one post my throttle now works!

So, time to toss my experience in. I have the ghosting issue. BAD. Games are completely unplayable. I've plugged it into USB 2.0 ports and 3.0 ports. No difference. I've plugged it into an externally powered hub. No difference. I've re-installed the drivers. No difference. I've disable USB port sleeping in windows. No difference. I've re-installed my motherboard drivers for the USB ports. No difference. I've sent Saitek my Dxdiag, and they're supposed to get back to me by Tuesday. But here's what gets interesting: Through this whole thing, I cannot even get the windows test page up for the throttle quadrant. All of the ghosting is in the throttle, the stick works fine both in games and on the test page, but the throttle won't even give a test.

I have an AMD chipset as well, running windows 8.1

have you actually read through this thread?

I have to correct myself a Little. I have been biased too much as it seems. I connected my device(s) at a powered USB Hub and Ghostpressing issues did not appear. But what I encountered instead was another issue. If I want to hold TMS up Long for example, so it wasn´t possible because the respective key Input was like this: _ _ _ _ _ instead of: ______ (Muliple buttoninput issue).

After the mentioned fix above, this Problem was solved (Teamspeak Settings).

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

@MemphisBelle - The only reason I thought it was weird that a powered hub would resolve my issue(s) {and many other people's issues as this thread clearly informs us} is because I thought that with the Throttle and Stick each having their own USB (unlike the X-52 for example), I figured the USB Ports would have provided enough juice for each to work.

Obviously, I was wrong ... and was glad to learn that I was wrong considering the simple and inexpensive fix.

BTW - the ONLY issue that I can think of that I "sometimes" have, is when I'm on my desktop or in any Window's-based program, and the cursor is flying around or giving repetitive key presses. However, this is a simple case of my Throttle's Thumb Wheels. I have one set up for my Huey Throttle (twist grip) and my P-51's Flaps Control. If I don't leave it centered, it will always send a signal .. such as "F" or "Shift+F" (Flaps Up/Down).

This is no big deal and was quickly figured out, but it did have me freaking out when it first happened.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this Thread. It is a very informative resource re: X-55 Rhino.

have you actually read through this thread?

All 17 pages? No, I hadn't read all of them, my free time is limited, and I made the mistake of thinking the company's own tech support would be a faster route. However, I'm assuming the second thing you quoted is what you thought to be my solution, (And it's just an assumption, I struggle with your grammar) you're referencing the teamspeak issue, which I had also already tried. I literally spent hours on the phone with Saitek support before making that post, and they weren't able to find a fix.

Alkaline's explanation however seems to have done the trick. The only difference between what he did and what Saitek told me to do (And I had done previously) is that Saitek had me uninstall the device and drivers from the device manager, but did not mention going in and deleting the temp folder.

BTW - the ONLY issue that I can think of that I "sometimes" have, is when I'm on my desktop or in any Window's-based program, and the cursor is flying around or giving repetitive key presses. However, this is a simple case of my Throttle's Thumb Wheels. I have one set up for my Huey Throttle (twist grip) and my P-51's Flaps Control. If I don't leave it centered, it will always send a signal .. such as "F" or "Shift+F" (Flaps Up/Down).

This is no big deal and was quickly figured out, but it did have me freaking out when it first happened.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this Thread. It is a very informative resource re: X-55 Rhino.

Yes I have that problem, just before doing that I start hearing "window sounds" my FPS drop and my graphic become weird, ie flash or tearing like if my GPU will fail, then when I try to exit, I can't mouse anything and I have something like that ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

on my browser or anything with an empty place to fill like a log in and password space.

I've been looking everywhere are you saying that my Rhino is the guilty one?

o7

Sorry for the slow reply. I just got back from Calgary ... a few minutes ago.

YES ... I am saying precisely that. The Rhino is guilty of those repetitive key strokes you are showing. At least that certainly was the case for me ... same sort of thing if not exactly the same key stroke.

"IF" you have any Rotaries set up with an Axis (or the like) to work as a key stroke AND the Rotary is not centered (at the center detent) then you will get these repetitive key strokes that will make it impossible to type anything.

Hope you get it resolved as I did.

All 17 pages? No, I hadn't read all of them, my free time is limited, and I made the mistake of thinking the company's own tech support would be a faster route. However, I'm assuming the second thing you quoted is what you thought to be my solution, (And it's just an assumption, I struggle with your grammar) you're referencing the teamspeak issue, which I had also already tried. I literally spent hours on the phone with Saitek support before making that post, and they weren't able to find a fix.

Alkaline's explanation however seems to have done the trick. The only difference between what he did and what Saitek told me to do (And I had done previously) is that Saitek had me uninstall the device and drivers from the device manager, but did not mention going in and deleting the temp folder.

Hey there, no offense. I understand that it can be a pain in the but if the device is not working as it is supposed to do and no matter what one is doing, nothings helps.

The second paragraph Sound like you got over the issue?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Well, it seems as though the red spring is no longer able to keep pressure on the centering cone as I move the stick off center. Once I move the stick off center, the centering cone remains raised and it's as if I have no spring installed. I'm thinking some type of lubricant on the shaft to allow the centering cone to slide up and down the shaft *may* keep it from sticking. Perhaps a stronger spring, but, I liked the feel of the red better than the rest.

:joystick: