Converting Model to PBR w/ RoughMet Maps (Roughness / Metal) - Guide

SkateZilla

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

PBR conversion still going on. However i encounter a probelm with the shadown in DCS. Once a part of the cockpit is on the shadow, everything go black. See as exemple on the following screens, the yellow sesction go black.

1526640965-screen-180518-124747.png

1526640984-screen-180518-124751.png

And here the rough texture :

1526641145-c-canopy-roughmet.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello.

PBR conversion still going on. However i encounter a probelm with the shadown in DCS. Once a part of the cockpit is on the shadow, everything go black. See as exemple on the following screens, the yellow sesction go black.

Perhaps it's because you fill the yellow scratch area with black color in R(AO) channel, try a pure white R(AO) channel and check if they are corrected.

Perhaps it's because you fill the yellow scratch area with black color in R(AO) channel, try a pure white R(AO) channel and check if they are corrected.

Nop in the AO (red), those portions are light grey and even white. The AO is the one calculated by 3DS. But the yellow portion is just an exemple because it's the more easy to spot, I have this problem on almost the whole cockpit :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remove the AO Layer and see what it looks like without,

I however do not have ANYTHING 100% black, you could drop the layer to 25% opacity and get better results.

Also Render A.O Map w/ out an transparent layers, as the A.O. Render does not See Transparency.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Problem solved by removing a pure black applied on the bug parts on the grey channel. Thx for your input all ! :)

AO is a range between 0 (black pixels) and 1 (white pixels) so the way it works is that AO channel is multiplied by Other channels Metalness and Roughness and Diffuse (Albedo/ Color)

So when you have AO = Full black= 0 you are multiplying something by ZERO which means ZERO as a result that's why you have full black in the end.

So even if you have something really bright red fpr exemple red glossy paint in diffuse channel so RED would be near value of 0.95 (almost 1 full red)

You will end up with 0.95*0=0 equals FULL BLACK

So it is actually unrealistic to have full black AO, there are no such material in a world that would have pure black color.

Steam Index, i7 8700K, 32Gb, GTX 1070Ti, NVMe.

Hotas Warthog, Virpil, RX Vipers

• 4 weeks later...

_RoughMet at the end

For example one of my Hornet ones the desert version uses a custom roughmet

Diffuse

RAF_DES_1

RoughMet

RAF_DES_1_RoughMet

It replaces and Spec layer

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the channels. I knew 0 through 3, but I had no idea there was anything beyond that!

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just to be clear, i've this question in my mind since a bit of time but, we don't have to input the _RoughtMet in a material slot in 3Ds Max, right? How does the _RoughtMet is "auto-detected" by the sim?

Thank you in advance :)

Member of the Virtual Patrouille Suisse Since 2010. High and slow, fast and low.

Intel i9-12900k | 64GB RAM | RTX4090 | HP Rerverb G2 | T-50CM3 Base | WinWing Set

Hey, just to be clear, i've this question in my mind since a bit of time but, we don't have to input the _RoughtMet in a material slot in 3Ds Max, right? How does the _RoughtMet is "auto-detected" by the sim?

Thank you in advance :)

Step Two:

RoughMet Maps, are Loaded for Any Albedo/Diffuse Texture that has a RoughMet Map Linked to it in Step 2.

Prepare the Default textures to have a RoughMet for Each,

Each Diffuse Texture should have a new Roughness/Metallic Map with extension to the filename "_RoughMet" at the end, For Example:

F-18E-001-DIF.DDS, IS THE DIFFUSE Texture, So

F-18E-001-DIF_RoughMet.DDS is The File Name Needed for DCS to Detect the roughness/Metallic Map.

For initial integration/testing purposes, I just used my default specular dds files for the default RoughMet Files, because there will be a distinct difference in Aircraft Appearance due to the Red Channel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169372&stc=1&d=1505747973

For Example, When Loading the Model, You'll Notice the Red Channel Map Being Dominant, and it should be very obvious which textures did not correctly Load a RoughMet Map.

If You Open your ModelViewer and the Model Appears Similar to the Screenshot Below, Congrats, You have successfully configured the RoughMet maps to load w/ the Diffuse/Albedo Channel.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

• 5 weeks later...

So I just got into this thread hoping to find out how to make my current skins not shine on the AI F-16C BL.52, but I don't see an answer relating to models that call out .BMP for texture files. I'm completly lost now lol

livery = {

{"texture F-16C-PAINT-DEF-L1.BMP f2 g0",0,"F-16C-PAINT-DEF-BL2.BMP",false};

{"texture F-16C-PAINT-DEF-R1.BMP f2 g0",0,"F-16C-PAINT-DEF-BR2.BMP",false};

{"texture F-16C-PAINT-DEF-L1.BMP f2 g0",13,"F-16C-PAINT-DEF-BL2_ROUGHMET.BMP",false};

{"texture F-16C-PAINT-DEF-R1.BMP f2 g0",13,"F-16C-PAINT-DEF-BR2_ROUGHMET.BMP",false};

Screen_180922_144403_zpswcvwnj7f.jpg

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

The F-16C Models cannot have textures modified on in the manner you are trying.

They are old and still use the old Livery/Textures Setup.

Try changing the 13s to 2s and see if that works.

As long as the model has a default material attribute, it should work.

Channel 13 is specifically for RoughMet textures, but channel 2 is for specular maps. And can read RoughMet textures there too.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Channel 13 is specifically for RoughMet textures, but channel 2 is for specular maps. And can read RoughMet textures there too.

I'll give that a shot, thanks

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

The issue is, the Old F-16 Model Does NOT have a Specular Map, therefore a Specular map cannot be loaded, nor can a RoughMet Map.

One Could Adjust the Roughness/Metallicness Values for Opague Maps in the F-16 JSON File though.,