Saitek Controllers don't like X99 platform!

Hi everyone,

Well, I just upgraded my system (spec as below) only to discover there is an incompatibility with my Saitek X-55 HOTAS and combat pedals.

This is just a quick post to save others having the same frustration as me…

As everything had worked fine on my 'old' system, I suspected the USB ports on the new mobo were faulty. I contacted the supplier and they agreed to exchange the mobo.

I exchanged the mobo but this made no difference. I then tried reinstalling the OS and changing various USB settings in the BIOS. Someone suggested the problem would be resolved by connecting the controllers via a powered USB hub to a USB 2.0 port… purchased a powered hub and followed the advice but all to no avail…

I then decided to report the issue to Saitek and spoke to a guy in the technical department who informed me that they are aware of this issue and currently working on a firmware upgrade.

In the meantime, simply put… everything works fine provided the controllers are plugged in AFTER windows has loaded and don’t forget to unplug them before re-booting the system again.

Interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced this issue and whether anyone has found a better workaround.

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

Can't say I have the issue (no Saitek controllers or X99 motherboard) but have you tried using a PCI-Express USB card? If it is the chipset that is incompatible then a separate chipset on a card might avoid the issue.

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

Hi Formski,

Thanks for the suggestion...

I wasn't expecting too many replies - just wanted to save others some of the frustration that I've had...

I had thought about trying a PCI-Express USB card (as you suggest) but decided to try another angle... there are many posts concerning USB connectivity issues which appear to have been resolved by using USB 2.0 ports.

Saitek technical confirmed this is quite important. I decided to buy a USB header backplate:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/quad-usb-a-socket-to-2x-10-pin-backplate-a17gl

This connects directly to the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard (so, leaving nothing to chance as to whether the BIOS 'smart auto' feature was delivering USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 via the onboard rear USB ports...

Anyway, tried this idea but did not fix the issue.

Also tried switching the powered USB hub OFF prior to booting up but of course, this did not work either.

I also ordered a 4 port USB 2.0 hub which has a separate isolation switch for each of the ports but on reflection, I doubt this will work as I think the switches will only isolate the power as opposed to the data connection.

So, think I might try your suggestion and see whether it works!

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

Hi again Formski,

Fingers crossed your suggestion has worked!

I found this item at a local store and decided to give it a try:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-20-1-internal-and-3-external-pci-express-card-a51hh

I have all three controllers plugged in and so far the system has rebooted several times without incident.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I have the same problem with X99 and the Warthog HOTAS, also my MFG pedals!

Windows won't even boot with them connected.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

I have the same problem with X99 and the Warthog HOTAS, also my MFG pedals!

Windows won't even boot with them connected.

There you go... I knew there would be others suffering like me... thanks to Formsky, there is now a possible solution... I'm just about to do some more testing and will post another update if I have any more problems...

Honestly, I've tried everything over the last 2 weeks to get these things working but without success until today.

I was experiencing exactly the same thing as you... booting up with controllers plugged in would result in a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner of the screen. Only way to 'kill it' was to restart the system. Then the coloured circles which spin whilst Windows 7 is loading would either freeze straight away or start to spin and then lock everything up. Of course, this meant another hard reset whereupon Windows would start to boot and then present the safety message that the previous load had failed.... I'm sure all this will be familiar to you...

I've read all sorts of potential remedies which I've tried optimistically but to no avail. I have come to the conclusion the problem is something to do with the XHCI USB controllers deployed in the X99 system, something which will no doubt be addressed when new firmware is available.

In the meantime, the PCIe USB 2.0 card seems to have done the trick - cost me £10 but now able to take £38 worth of unnecessary stuff back :megalol:

Edited by slicker55

There you go... I knew there would be others suffering like me... thanks to Formsky, there is now a possible solution... I'm just about to do some more testing and will post another update if I have......

Yes i've been there! Tried all sorts of bios settings but nothing worked 100%. So i'm waiting for a bios/driver update...not that i have any spare time to fly anyway so my solution for now is to plug everything in to the front usb ports after loading windows.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread, another X99 user here, my pc won't boot with either of the Warthog devices attached or my Saitek combat rudder pedals.

I pretty much guessed it was something to do with the usb chipset on my motherboard, but thanks for confirming this.

Gonna purchase myself a USB 2.0 pcie card :thumbup:

I7 5820K \ Asus Rampage V Extreme \ 16GB Avexir Memory \ Asus Strix 980Ti \ Lian Li Desk DK-01X \ Corsair H180i GT \ Dell U3014 \ Obutto R3volution Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...
Gonna purchase myself a USB 2.0 pcie card :thumbup:

Did you get one... did it fix it?

I would also be interested to know if your X99 system will do a warm 'restart' if the controllers are connected - mine won't / just hangs at the BIOS screen so I always switch off rather than choosing restart - not a big problem until an update requires a restart.

Another thing for you to bear in mind in relation to the Siatek drivers (are you aware there are windows 10 beta drivers available now from Saitek web site),

But, bear in mind... once you have installed the beta drivers, if you unplug the controllers for any reason, windows will automatically reload the original drivers - just watch out for this one...

Gosh... I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I was about to build a new box based on X99.

Is this issue still current? I had all sort of weird USB behaviour with with my old box and Windows 8.1 and found out that going back to Windows 7 solved everything at once. Now I'm wondering if X99 and Win 7 might work together as well?

Any experience?

• 1 month later...
Did you get one... did it fix it?

No, I didn't get a PCIe card in the end, as I sorted the problem a different way.

In the bios there is an option where you can disable the USB ports at boot up, basically to speed up the booting process as they don't have to initialise themselves.

Then, when the system boots into windows, all the USB devices become active, even the troublesome one's.

So problem solved :)

Edited by Drexal

I7 5820K \ Asus Rampage V Extreme \ 16GB Avexir Memory \ Asus Strix 980Ti \ Lian Li Desk DK-01X \ Corsair H180i GT \ Dell U3014 \ Obutto R3volution Cockpit

Yeah... I've noticed that too. Saitek Combat Pedals put the Startup into a Boot Loop (X99 and Windows 7 64Bit)

Razer Keyboard, fine; Thrustmaster Warthog, fine; Razer mouse, fine; Naturalpoint, fine; Saitek, not fine (with or without drivers installed).

Thanks Drexel... but does that affect a USB keyboard and BIOS entry?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I think you can turn off individual USB ports at boot up, so just disable the one's, that the problem device's are attached too.