2.5.5 vs 2.5.6 frame rate comparison

MPK

F-14 numbers come from the first few seconds of the F-14 take off instant action mission.

F-18 numbers come from the first few seconds of the F-18 ready on the ramp instant action mission.

The Shaders mod I was using in 2.5.5 no longer seems to work in 2.5.6. I get shader compile errors and the game crashes. The mod is in a link in the description of this video:

My VR Settings:

3aIEDW6.png

My non VR settings:

5QYvcrL.png

Results:

sZj1zwK.png

My conclusions:

Frame rates have dropped across the board with 2.5.6. In VR, the hornet is not so bad although the loss of the shaders mod really hurts. The F-14 on the other hand is borderline unplayable for me in anything more complex than simple instant actions missions in an empty world. It is my experience that frame times will be 5 - 10 ms higher in multiplayer than they are in this test. After so may months of tweaking and modding to try to get a playable experience this is not what I wanted to see :cry:

Well you are correct the GPU FrameTime has tanked, I seen mine as high as 35ms..With the same settings I used in VR in 2.5.5 is way worse in 2.5.6

I noticed GPU Usage went to 99% which is maxxed out and getting really worse FPS too..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Noticed a rather big hit on gpu frametimes when switching on interior lights (floodlights) in the A-10 after update. Something like 1.5 - 2 frametimes no matter if its day or night. Even noticed a little increase when switching on external lights.

Still testing but my conclusion is, that performance is highly depending on the modules lightning.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

[quote=MPK;4211267

The Shaders mod I was using in 2.5.5 no longer seems to work in 2.5.6. I get shader compile errors and the game crashes. The mod is in a link in the description of this video:

there is an updated mod for this here that might help you:

I've updated the zip. It now contains the complete Mod that I use here with JSGME. (Original source:
)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjBR_ilBbmjacKxH3_2DBBPdYrfBNVqR/view?usp=sharing

Please make sure to apply this ONLY to a clean DCS installation.

What spec of hardware are you running on ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

No where near as well documented and presented as MPK, but still thought I'd share my 2.5.6 VR experience. My framerates have dropped drastically since OB patch 2.5.6

Didn't change anything in my settings (only checked that ssrl (or what's it called) is turned off). Also deleted metashader2 and fxo. No mod mods used.

The ones I seriously tested so far:

• F-16 instant action take off Caucasus went from ~90fps to ~45fps
  • Edited version of F-16 instant action cold and dark PG (with some extra flights and targets) went from ~45-90fps to <30fps (and became quite unplayable)

Using Reverb (WMR)

Edit:

The sudden drop in performance could also be WMR related, as Windows also updated last week..

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

No where near as well documented and presented as MPK, but still thought I'd share my 2.5.6 VR experience. My framerates have dropped drastically since OB patch 2.5.6

Didn't change anything in my settings (only checked that ssrl (or what's it called) is turned off). Also deleted metashader2 and fxo. No mod mods used.

• Edited version of F-16 instant action cold and dark PG (with some extra flights and targets) went from ~45-90fps to <30fps (and became quite unplayable)

Edit:

The sudden drop in performance could also be WMR related, as Windows also updated last week..

My FPS went up after the update. I can even have MSAA on now (x2) and at least the same, if not more, FPS than before. I'm using Rift S

Try deleting your metashader2 and fxo folder in your dcs saved games folder.

restart and allow time for the new shaders to be generated.

Still change?

I did this before each test. I think it is actually a requirement when enabling/disabling the shaders mod.

Using Reverb (WMR)

Edit:

I tried 2.5.6 this morning, flying over dubai at night. Went from solid 45fps in 2.5.5 (i.e. normal for me no issues) to the high 20's on 2.5.6. Thats like a 30-40% drop in frame rates. And this is OFFLINE with no other units on the map. Away from the city I was getting into the 40's but not rock solid 45fps.

I do like the visual improvements mind you, yay stars yay cities, but not at the expense of a 40% frame rate drop. And its not like I can buy my way out of this performance hole.

Also I haven't updated to the latest windows version, so I'm on whatever older WMR that ran fine. So this is definitely a DCS issue.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks Gizzy. I'll take a look at my settings, DCS wise I would guess I'm close to what you have. I do run way more steam super sampling though, looks like you are at 100%, I'm running at least 150 or maybe 180%. I do know how to optmize, but again, I'm not in love with the idea of re-doing everything to get lower performance. Those frame losses were using the same exact settings for 5.5 and 5.6... I'll do some more experimenting.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

... I'll do some more experimenting...

Might be worth having a look at NVidea driver... an update not so long ago was a dog... with stuttering everywhere .... so I rolled back to 441.20... and peace was restored.... it'll stay there for a while...

Personally, with the latest SteamVR I find hardly any advantage going above 100% giving native 2k into each eye currently giving pin sharp cockpits in all models... previous versions I was around 180% too to achieve the same clarity - but they've changed the StVR interface some....

SIGBLOCK.png

Might be worth having a look at NVidea driver... an update not so long ago was a dog... with stuttering everywhere .... so I rolled back to 441.20... and peace was restored.... it'll stay there for a while...

Personally, with the latest SteamVR I find hardly any advantage going above 100% giving native 2k into each eye currently giving pin sharp cockpits in all models... previous versions I was around 180% too to achieve the same clarity - but they've changed the StVR interface some....

Yeah I'm on the latest driver, but didn't really notice lower performance. I'll check that too.

I also notice FPS drop, especially on PG map. I dont know, maybe its a new water?

Looks like Motion reprojection (WMR Steam VR) now has problem in DCS, I observed more deviations from 45 fps to 43-61. I didnt notice this in 2.5.5. It was stable 45 and on PG map I see sometimes artifacts.

What is poor also - clouds now are randered not on both screen (far clouds) ups. So its new issue also.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Looks like Motion reprojection (WMR Steam VR) now has problem in DCS, I observed more deviations from 45 fps to 43-61. I didnt notice this in 2.5.5. It was stable 45 and on PG map I see sometimes artifacts.
There was an update to WMR for SteamVR beta a few days ago which overwrote the settings file disabling motion reprojection. Could this be the issue?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

There was an update to WMR for SteamVR beta a few days ago which overwrote the settings file disabling motion reprojection. Could this be the issue?

After update of Steam WMR I always check it, I have now "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto" without \\ so its turn on (and works).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

After some quick checking...

Weird issue at night in the JF17 over dubai, I would get weird dark flashes, IDK how to describe it better, in VR, both eyes, not the full view but like an fat line or shape that took up the view for like a split second. Didn't see this in 2.5.5.

Otherwise I flew some other planes in 2.5.6 daytime only, best frame rates on the neveda map. Generally 50's+ in M2k, solid 45 in F14 and F18. Caucus F16 takeoff and flight in the 30's edging into the 40's after airborne. Harrier landing on tarwa in PG map solid 45.

Again, offline with maybe like 2-3 units on the whole map. But dubai is a confirmed 25-29 at night near burj kalifa at night. It gets better after you leave that area but still usually under 45... And I started to OC my 2080ti to get that.

Also showing 0gb (bug?) VR mem used, though MSI shows 4600mb used? Seems low? Card is floored at 96% most of the time.

The other thing I noticed with the Reverb/Gamma is that the colors are MUCH better esp on the PG/Nevada maps, so that's a big plus.

Running 180% SS in steam, and motion smoothing on.

Edited by Harlikwin