Is 16 GB of memory enough ?

Hi folks,

I am running 16gb of DDR3-1866 memory with a GTX1080Ti and have more then satisfactory performance in DCS World 2.5.

When I run the game I see that somewhere between 12 and 13 GB of RAM gets used up.

If I were to upgrade to say 24GB of similar-speed RAM will I see an improvement in performance ?

Will the game attempt to use more memory ?

Thanks

With the cost of RAM coming down these days, it’s a worthy upgrade to go to 32GB for DCS. I usually have other programs running in background.

Really? RAM prizes here (at least in The Netherlands) increased with about 30% the past few weeks

Back on topic. There are numerous threads here about this subject, if you want more info.

Tldr version; depending on the rest of your system, don't expect drastic performance increase, but obviously it will help to go to 32gb. Especially in heavy or MP missions

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

When joining multiplayer, it easily goes over 16Gb. Yesterday I was on 104th server and RAM usage was ~17Gb.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I upgraded from 16GB DDR4 to 32GB a year ago and i had no performance increase. The game runs better (more stable) in large missions or in MP sessions and it feels like (not sure if it realy is) as if loading mission/terrain etc. is a bit faster. If you are not running DCS on a SSD, getting one would be a more reasonable (and cheaper) upgrade than getting more RAM. AFAIK when it comes to performance (FPS), VRAM is what you cannot have enough of.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2