F-20 Tigershark project

"A shame they never introduced her into service."

Not really. The USAF did way better buying the Viper. It could carry more payload farther, the Viper also shared some parts with the Eagle, keeping costs. down. F-20 was designed initially for a Hornet engine, one of the main reasons that the USAF went with Viper over the YF-17. they would have looked like fools asking for money from Congress for the F-20 after having said they wanted the F-16 because of shared engines.

I know that it has been written that the F-20 may have been the best fighter never put into production, but from a sales standpoint it was doomed. The Viper could out-everything it, and it was also proven weapons system with sales all over the world.

That said, I'd fly it!!!

I still think the F-20 would have been a formidable low cost export fighter, just like what the F-5 always has been. The US always had better planes to go with than the F-5 as well which is why they never really used it themselves, apart from making them MiG-28s for Top Gun and using the two seated T-38s as trainers.

The pinnacle would be an F-29 though... but having an X-29 put into service would even more being what if than having the Tigershark. But I'd totally love to fly such planes in DCS, would be extremely interesting to see their (well approximated) FMs in action... but without all the data, it's hard to come by with DCS grade simulations for those anyway.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Good to hear that your project is progressing. :)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

So excited to see that it's working now.I'm eagerly awaiting this. Is there anything else you can tell us about, like what you're working on?

Well I'm trying to redo the external model, but my modeling skills are not great and I'm having a hard time making a quality model. I could really use someone who is skilled to help make the external model.

Otherwise most of the systems are working and I'm just working on the weapons system and MFDs. I have the radar and aim120 working as well.

Please include the AIM-7, that was the main weapon of the F-20.

Main weapon? As much as I remember, only 3 prototypes were built, before the programm was cancelled.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Main weapon? As much as I remember, only 3 prototypes were built, before the programm was cancelled.

Planned man, planned. That was the main difference between the A Viper and the Tigershark, the F-20 was promoted as being Sparrow (hence BVR capable).

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Planned man, planned. That was the main difference between the A Viper and the Tigershark, the F-20 was promoted as being Sparrow (hence BVR capable).

Thanks man, thanks. Should have told it from the beginning.

Is this going to be clicky? Or FC3 like?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Warriors : Barrett Tillman 1990

For a great war novel, air tactics, and techno-tactical discussion of F-20 in AA combat, Warriors (1990) a techno thriller by Barrett Tilman is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Barrett-Tillman/dp/0553348817/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=20Q9FSJMG5FD631FF0AJ

BTW I enjoyed Sixth Battle far more. Its more technical, more detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...