The Good, the bad and the ugly

speed-of-heat

I bought a Samsung Odyssey +, these represent my views based on my experiences so far over two days, I have tweaked it using the various guides and I dont suffer from the double vision problem. I also have corrective lenses for my prescription, I mostly fly the F-18 and I havent tried other aircraft.

So, I have been able to get 45 FPS in most scenarios, by reducing some settings, high textures, high sea, medium distance, flat shadows, no aa, with PD of 1.1, mirrors off.

My experience has been mixed.

The good, no SDE, well none that I can see, dogfighting is amazing, turning your head in combat, seeing your arm move as you move the throttle.. I love the vertical height very useful for SA. SA is the boss in this. And some tasks become easier, refuelling being a prime example.

The bad, the resolution and image quality, it sucks, I suspect its my Graphics card and if I was rocking a 1080ti I'm sure the experience would be different, it makes lining up really hard especially for a carrier approach. by comparison I drive 2560 x 1440 at over 100FPS, with High everywhere, I only use a little AA in the nvidia control panel

The Ugly for me after using it I feel slighly buzzed , like I have had one too many beers, it impacts my vision in the real world, and as an example makes typing this SUPER hard, its almost as if I have tunnel vision, I dont get motion sick using it, I dont feel nausea.

On my spec hardware, the cons massively out weigh the pros, making the game functionally un-fun, if not unplayable...

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I bought a Samsung Odyssey +, these represent my views based on my experiences so far over two days, I have tweaked it using the various guides and I dont suffer from the double vision problem. I also have corrective lenses for my prescription, I mostly fly the F-18 and I havent tried other aircraft.

So, I have been able to get 45 FPS in most scenarios, by reducing some settings, high textures, high sea, medium distance, flat shadows, no aa, with PD of 1.1, mirrors off.

My experience has been mixed.

The good, no SDE, well none that I can see, dogfighting is amazing, turning your head in combat, seeing your arm move as you move the throttle.. I love the vertical height very useful for SA. SA is the boss in this. And some tasks become easier, refuelling being a prime example.

The bad, the resolution and image quality, it sucks, I suspect its my Graphics card and if I was rocking a 1080ti I'm sure the experience would be different, it makes lining up really hard especially for a carrier approach. by comparison I drive 2560 x 1440 at over 100FPS, with High everywhere, I only use a little AA in the nvidia control panel

The Ugly for me after using it I feel slighly buzzed , like I have had one too many beers, it impacts my vision in the real world, and as an example makes typing this SUPER hard, its almost as if I have tunnel vision, I dont get motion sick using it, I dont feel nausea.

On my spec hardware, the cons massively out weigh the pros, making the game functionally un-fun, if not unplayable...

Could IPD be causing these after-vision problems ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I will check my IPD tomorrow and give it another go :( thanks for the advice

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Setting up the correct IPD can help. I noticed the eye strain after moving to my Vive Pro from the Rift, but after changing the lens' out on my Pro that has really gone away. Not having the headset mounted correctly to your head can cause a big problem with clarity and the "sweet spot" being in the correct field of view. I love to complain about the resolution not being high enough even with the Pro, but I absolutely cannot go back to playing on a flat screen.

One of the simplest things for me to set IPD was suggested by someone is to go outside the WMR cliffhouse, look at the stars - pick one, and then adjust your IPD wheel until the star is as clear as it can be.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

One of the simplest things for me to set IPD was suggested by someone is to go outside the WMR cliffhouse, look at the stars - pick one, and then adjust your IPD wheel until the star is as clear as it can be.

LOFL... This is a cheap way to actually collimate real world NVG's...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Wow that is great advice!:thumbup:

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for all the advice; changing the IPD in the HMD has certainly helped the with the buzzed feeling; so I continue along... what I have noticed is that in the peripheral vision in motion there is bunch of double vision, typically straight ahead not so much, its most noticeable with trees close to the ground... is this what other people are getting its like one eye is a fraction a second ahead of the other ?

I found that the blurring in the peripheral vision I think was caused by the built in AA, dropping this to near physical resolution in the VR settings seems to have cured

It has been a struggle, but I am pretty happy with the setup now; I get a fairly solid 45FPS with the only real compromise being distance which is set to medium, I will post my configs tomorrow. I'm going to do some actual playing... and see what it is I have wrought ;)

A few Dollars More

My hardware specs are in my sig, and have gotten my O+ on a "good" but hardly top end machine, to give me a pretty constant and clear 45FPS.

I have an O+ with custom lenses (which I have adjusted to my prescription) I bought replacement padding and then bolstered this, just above the lenses, with some foam padding I had lying around to avoid a slight rub on the inside ridge of my eyebrow just above the eye.

I am now a convert all hail VR :)

How did I get here:

1) Adjust your IPD (physical on the O+ to be correct for the your eyes, there is such a narrow sweet spot for this, that it takes a little time to get the HMD seated correctly each time I play, I leave the in game IPD unchecked

2) In Game Settings

System

Textures High

Terrain Textures High

Water High

Visib Range Medium (big Frame rate killer)

Heat Blur Low

Shadows Flat only

Res of Cockpit Displays 512 (honestly I couldn't see a difference)

MSAA Off

Depth of Field Off

Lens Effects Flare (personal preference)

Motion Blur Off

SAA Off

Clutter/Grass 750

Tree Visibility 75%

Preload Radius 100000

Chimney Smoke 1

Gamma 2.2 (everything seem darker in VR)

Aniso Filtering Off

Terrain Shadows Default

Cockpit Global Illumination Off (big frame rate killer)

Game Play

Mirrors Default Off

Birds at 0

VR

PD 1.2

3) In the NVIDIA control Panel

Aniso Filtering 8x

FXAA Off

Gamma Corection On

AA Mode Overide

AA 4x

Transparency Off

4) Steam VR

for the application DCS.exe I have this set at 100% (not 200% or even the recommended 180%) this for me is a game changer, I got terrible double vision in anything in motion out the side of the cockpit

default.vrsettings

{
   "driver_Holographic" : {
       // Increase back buffer size so that larger superscale values do not get a resolution reduction
       "renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},
   "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
       // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
       //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
       //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
       //"forceHalfRateWithReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",
	"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
       //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
       //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
       //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
       //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
       "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Use temporal history to get higher quality motion vectors.  motionReprojectionMode must be set to 'auto' or 
       // 'motionvector' for this setting to have an affect.
       "motionReprojectionTemporalEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
       // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
       "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
       "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
       "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
       "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
   },
   "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
       "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
   }
}

There is no detectable SDE, things outside the cockpit are for the most part clear, the MFD's are a little blurry but I can make out most of the letters, and I can read them well enough.

So this is on a moderate machine, it took a lot of tuning to get there but it is a very good experience... I just bought a memory upgrade, I doubt it will significantly change performance. the next upgrade will be my Christmas present and that will be a graphics card upgrade which is where I am currently throttled.

I was surprised at how much environmental quality I could get out of it the only compromise I'm really making is shadows and distance... as sim pilot for over 30 years this is a huge leap forward the O+ is still on sale and if you are waiting for the uber PC before you go VR … like I was, dont, I hope this can help reduce the "workload" to get there for anyone else.

Thanks to all that helped me ...anyone want to buy a Track IR unit ...

:thumbup: Glad to hear you got it sorted ...VR is a revolution in flight-simming . I have a TrackIr for sale too :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2