OK, So.....

I didn't really know where to place this thread so I figure an admin will place it in its place if needed.

Ok, here I go. I want to know, how simulated are these WWII planes going to be? I mean, there isn't any classified data concerning the Focke Wolf and P-51, at least not that I know of. Classified data is something that mostly affects modern aircraft, particularly stealth planes like the F-35 and 22. But what I am saying is this, In FC3 I have read that the SU-27 cannot perform the cobra maneuver while in real life that is something the SU-27 was the first aircraft to perform. That worries me because if FC3 is called a "simulator" and ED or whoever makes these "simulators" knowingly keeps out something that is not classified like certain RADAR functions or data link systems that are kept secret, then that to me is not a simulation and if they can get away with something like that then what else are they not simulating that we don't know about or no one has cared to mention? :joystick: I like a true honest simulation and having heard about this cobra maneuver being omitted, it sort of took away my desire to obtain FC3. I totally understand that they have to do without certain systems that are classified, but the cobra maneuver is no secret in the aviation world. I know the cobra maneuver is a minor thing, but I still don't feel comfortable knowing that there might be little things kept out. Concerning these WWII planes I know there is very little classified information about them. So again, are these planes going to be made as close as possible, as available data allows them to be made to the real thing? Or are they going to make an other FC3 "simulation"?

Now, concerning how this new EDGE graphics program works, is this an other CPU burdening program or does it rely more on GPU than say A-10c does? If this is CPU based then please be sure to state that no matter how much GPU power one might have, they are going to mainly rely on CPU to get the max out of this game.

And last but not least, does this EDGE graphics program also affect the aircraft, not just the scenery? Not that the aircraft graphics are bad, but they don't look anything like say in WarThunder. Hoping that these graphics are better enhanced concerning the aircraft made available soon!

I am looking forward to these simulations as long as they are fully simulated more like A-10c is. :pilotfly:

Me

Duke of Montebello, Marshal of the Empire

Marshal on http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/

I didn't really know where to place this thread so I figure an admin will place it in its place if needed.

Ok, here I go. I want to know, how simulated are these WWII planes going to be? I mean, there isn't any classified data concerning the Focke Wolf and P-51, at least not that I know of. Classified data is something that mostly affects modern aircraft, particularly stealth planes like the F-35 and 22. But what I am saying is this, In FC3 I have read that the SU-27 cannot perform the cobra maneuver while in real life that is something the SU-27 was the first aircraft to perform. That worries me because if FC3 is called a "simulator" and ED or whoever makes these "simulators" knowingly keeps out something that is not classified like certain RADAR functions or data link systems that are kept secret, then that to me is not a simulation and if they can get away with something like that then what else are they not simulating that we don't know about or no one has cared to mention? :joystick: I like a true honest simulation and having heard about this cobra maneuver being omitted, it sort of took away my desire to obtain FC3. I totally understand that they have to do without certain systems that are classified, but the cobra maneuver is no secret in the aviation world. I know the cobra maneuver is a minor thing, but I still don't feel comfortable knowing that there might be little things kept out. Concerning these WWII planes I know there is very little classified information about them. So again, are these planes going to be made as close as possible, as available data allows them to be made to the real thing? Or are they going to make an other FC3 "simulation"?

Now, concerning how this new EDGE graphics program works, is this an other CPU burdening program or does it rely more on GPU than say A-10c does? If this is CPU based then please be sure to state that no matter how much GPU power one might have, they are going to mainly rely on CPU to get the max out of this game.

And last but not least, does this EDGE graphics program also affect the aircraft, not just the scenery? Not that the aircraft graphics are bad, but they don't look anything like say in WarThunder. Hoping that these graphics are better enhanced concerning the aircraft made available soon!

I am looking forward to these simulations as long as they are fully simulated more like A-10c is. :pilotfly:

Me

FC3 aircraft are not modeled so thoughoughly than DCS brand airplanes. Their avionics and flight model is somewhat more "casual user"-friendly. There are some FC3 aircrafts that got some updates to their flight model (A-10A, Su-25), but they are still not as "high fidelity" as for example the A-10C or the P-51.

But speaking of the P-51, which will be one of the DCSWWII aircrafts, luthier promised that the other DCSWWII aircrafts will be on par with the P-51 or the other DCS brand planes. So there is no need to put the word simulator here in quotes ... :o)

About EDGE: my understanding is, that it will improve drastically the scenery. The hardware requirements for that are still unknown (for us, at least). I would expect, that it rather lowers the CPU load a bit but makes better use of the GPU instead.

And finally ... I can't follow your criticizm about the aircraft graphics. What are you missing here?

According to real life P-51 pilots the flight model of DCS P-51D is outstandingly realistic. As "The Fighter Collection" owns some flyable warbirds, the devs have first hand data for these. You can check the planes here: http://fighter-collection.com/cft/564-2/

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Me

SO, are you saying the P-51D is not as much of a simulation as the A-10C? I'm guessing you have not flown the Mustang. That detracts a bit from the credibility of your statements.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

:lol:

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Also may I point out that you contradict yourself.

You say you want full-blown simulation and only that and then complain your CPU is overwhelmed. There can't be a simulation without computing power. The more precise you want the things to be, the more computing it requires.

Also, would you have read the description in the kickstarter you would have seen that the point is to make the thing on par with what DCS: P-51 is. And there is no better simulation of this aircraft right now on the market So you can be confident that these aircrafts will deliver the level of simulation you are waiting for.

EDIT : but I like your nickname

Edited by Rincevent

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SO, are you saying the P-51D is not as much of a simulation as the A-10C? I'm guessing you have not flown the Mustang. That detracts a bit from the credibility of your statements.

I just didn't feel like stating the others like KA-50 and P-51. I am not a good writer so I tend not to write everything.

Also may I point out that you contradict yourself.

You say you want full-blown simulation and only that and then complain your CPU is overwhelmed. There can't be a simulation without computing power. The more precise you want the things to be, the more computing it requires.

All I was saying is that if these simulators use even more CPU with this new EDGE graphics then how is a computer to handle it? If more GPU then that's great as there are more strides in GPU power than CPU for now until Steamroller and Intel's next gen CPUs. And then they will be pricy.

All I wanted were some answers to questions that were on my mind, if my questions seem to idiotic then kick me out of this place eh!

but I like your nickname

nickname? Jean Lannes? Me? LOL! Which?

I read all that everyone wrote and I understand for the most part what all of you were trying to say. :book: Maybe however I'll just keep things to myself and find out for myself.

Me

This is the place to ask questions. Don't stop because we replied to your posting. Some of us can be a tad protective of our sim :) but most have good intentions. Also be sure to browse some existing threads. Several of these important issues have been discussed at great length.

As far as what you said on EDGE and processor requirements, i think we are all hoping it is truly a more efficient engine that will give us better results with existing hardware. One major issue is core usage. It would be nice to take advantage of a few more cores and leave the annoying FPS issues in the dust.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Don't feel bad for asking questions. Not everyone may know exactly what computing is executed by the CPU or the GPU. That is all I was trying to explain, sorry if I sounded pedantic to you.

EDGE will support DirectX 11 so your GPU usage will go higher if you max out the game graphic options obviously. On the other hand a lot of things should be optimized given the current engine is pretty old, so if you don't go crazy on the details, your framerate should improve I think. But I doubt the CPU load will be reduced drastically.

And I was talking of Jean Lannes.

Edited by Rincevent

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I'm glad to hear EDGE will have an edge over the current system.

My name lol, yeah that actually has nothing to do with this site but with an other site and because of my love for Napoleonic warfare history, the tactics, strategy and wot not.

My apologies for acting so immature and sentimental, I write as I think and I don't think my best so early. SHHH, don't say anything but I am an afternoon person, a late afternoon person.

Me

Salute Marshall Lannes, it's great to see another Napoleonics enthusiast on this site. I think we are a rare species, the flight sim/Napoleonics hybrid. Nice to see that you serve on the side of the Emperor.

Any miniatures? I'm currently building up a Minifigs 25mm French collection 1806 - 1811 era. I used to play the Cossacks series but moved over to Napoleon Total War when that came out.

Welcome to the forum, and Vive le Spitfire! :thumbup:

Je vous salue mon ami!

Ah, Cossacks, yes!!! I still play CII BFE. Truly love the game. And yes, good to know I am not alone here as the only Napoleonic bum lol. I actually go by several different names but this is my name here thus it should suffice.

No, I don't play mini figs, I play the Napoleonica mod for the American Conquest series, I'm sure you are familiar with it as CDV was involved with the AC games as well as Cossacks. I am actually getting ready to mod the AC series games along with a friend and am learning programming so I'll be working with it along with Cossacks.

Hey, I have what I know would be a not so good idea and would actually be quickly shot down, but why not take these very accurate maps and create a DCS Napoleonic Era module? Just change modern cavalry (tanks and armored vehicles) and turn them into mounted units and rearm the infantry with muzzle loaders. Put in some arty and change the AI along with some dynamics. We have Combined Arms already, so all we need to do is change units. And with the fact that ED makes such accurate maps, they might actually have and "edge" here! It is possible but, I doubt more than a few would even consider it.

Anyways, let me not wander off so far lol. I'll be content with my modding the War of Austrian Succession.

Me Marshal of France, Marshal of the Empire! Vive l'Empereur!!!

• 2 months later...

I don't understand why you would say War Thunder air plane models are better looking than DCS ones, I do play a lot of WT and my impression is the exact opposite (Although WT certainly looks very good in other departments). There are some really old models in DCS too though, so if those are the ones you're talking about then I totally get where you're coming from. They are being phased out, thankfully, and the newer ones look fantastic imo.

The omission of the Cobra maneuver has been the subject of many heated debates, but even with the simplified flight model FC3-planes are still ahead of a lot of other products that are happily labeled as flight simulators.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the older ones aren't close to WT imo, waiting for edge to be implemented to take further action. What I don't like is that FC3 is supposed to be better that FC2, LOMAC and then they omit such a simple little thing as the cobra maneuver. While I can look at the big picture, it's the little things that count to me.

Me

Another Napoleonic wars enthusiast here too. Though for me there is nothing sweeter than the British infantryman in the peninsula. Not really into Cossacks take on the era either. My armies are all Barton creations in 15mm. Apologies for the topic drift, so back on topic, I have to concur with all that has been said in support of the P51D et al. And of course, lots of processing power is a must for effective simulations.