New Reverb -Not impressed, need help

Notso

I don’t understand the speaker thing. I mean you can’t get any spatial positioning.
I am just a sucker for the meatier sounds you get with a sub woofer and surround speakers, especially the warbirds!

It is possible to combine them using voicemeeter to get the best of both but I haven't done this.

I am lucky that I can have my speakers up pretty loud as tucked away in my man cave :)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I don’t understand the speaker thing. I mean you can’t get any spatial positioning.

Exactly.

The Reverb is prepared with a outlet for other headset speakers so a change to better audio is very easy to do. I havent done yet but as I dont find the reverbs sound top notch I think it is a good easy mod.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Genuine question, what exactly are the benefits you see by using headphones? I understand for FPS games hearing where footsteps are coming from are beneficial for competitive play. In my "cockpit" in VR with a 5:1 system I am in the middle of the sound and it is directional. Just not to the degree a competitive gaming headset is. For me it feels very immersive with 5:1 speakers, I have the big sound of the engine and aircraft noises around me and the comms coming through my headset.

Are you suggesting headphones are better for hearing where other aircraft are from a multiplayer competition aspect or is there something more?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Genuine question, what exactly are the benefits you see by using headphones? I understand for FPS games hearing where footsteps are coming from are beneficial for competitive play. In my "cockpit" in VR with a 5:1 system I am in the middle of the sound and it is directional. Just not to the degree a competitive gaming headset is. For me it feels very immersive with 5:1 speakers, I have the big sound of the engine and aircraft noises around me and the comms coming through my headset.

Are you suggesting headphones are better for hearing where other aircraft are from a multiplayer competition aspect or is there something more?

I agree feels much more real than headphones when you turn your head left or right the sounds changes as in real life headphones sounds stays stationery good example of this is in a heli.

I used to use a neck shoulder speaker with the rift s so when I turned around the engine noise would change as it should.

I agree feels much more real than headphones when you turn your head left or right the sounds changes as in real life headphones sounds stays stationery good example of this is in a heli.

I used to use a neck shoulder speaker with the rift s so when I turned around the engine noise would change as it should.

Simply not true what you say! That is why I like the built in audio, as you are immersed in the same world as the visuals, and the sound does move with your head. Turn your head to the left and the engine sound is in your right ear, move forward and the engine sound gets louder, etc.

In addition, I personally find it an immersion killer listening to sounds from the outside world when I’m in VR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Simply not true what you say! That is why I like the built in audio, as you are immersed in the same world as the visuals, and the sound does move with your head. Turn your head to the left and the engine sound is in your right ear, move forward and the engine sound gets louder, etc.

In addition, I personally find it an immersion killer listening to sounds from the outside world when I’m in VR.

:thumbup:

I use earbuds with my Rift S for that very reason.

Tried once going back to desk top speakers to see how it was as I have an excellent setup, and it was awful.

Earbuds all the way for me.

VR puts you "in the world".

My earbuds plugged into Rift S puts "the sound in the world".

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am lucky enough to be pretty isolated from the outside world in my cave and can have some decent speaker volumes, hence I have had to fit a couple of loud door bells in there - one for the door and one for the wife :)

I have tried some reasonable headphones (Audio Technica AD700X) but still prefer my Creative Inspire 7:1 speakers. I think you might be surprised how directional the sound is. When you referred to lacking spatial positioning can you describe this more?

I am lucky enough to be pretty isolated from the outside world in my cave and can have some decent speaker volumes, hence I have had to fit a couple of loud door bells in there - one for the door and one for the wife :)

I have tried some reasonable headphones (Audio Technica AD700X) but still prefer my Creative Inspire 7:1 speakers. I think you might be surprised how directional the sound is. When you referred to lacking spatial positioning can you describe this more?

It's purely down to personal preference.

I just tried flying in DCS - Spitfire and Hornet - using my pretty powerful Yamaha 5.1 audio system, and it just doesn't feel as immersive to me. I'm not in the VR world using speakers.

My comments about spatial positioning were more aimed at those who use stereo speakers, so sounds at the back still come from the front etc.

Still, using 5.1 speakers, the sounds seem to me to not have the same spacial awareness that they do in the HMD audio headsets, and seem much narrower. Also, I wasn't able to feel the volume of the Spit engine increasing as I moved forwards in the cockpit using speakers.

(BTW, you brought back some memories for me, I used to have a Creative Inspire 5.1 system for years. I loved it!)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's purely down to personal preference.

I just tried flying in DCS - Spitfire and Hornet - using my pretty powerful Yamaha 5.1 audio system, and it just doesn't feel as immersive to me. I'm not in the VR world using speakers.

My comments about spatial positioning were more aimed at those who use stereo speakers, so sounds at the back still come from the front etc.

Still, using 5.1 speakers, the sounds seem to me to not have the same spacial awareness that they do in the HMD audio headsets, and seem much narrower. Also, I wasn't able to feel the volume of the Spit engine increasing as I moved forwards in the cockpit using speakers.

(BTW, you brought back some memories for me, I used to have a Creative Inspire 5.1 system for years. I loved it!)

Thanks for the reply, I just wondered if I was missing something other than how my brain is wired!

I have been surprised with the old Creative speakers, I even hooked up a Kenwood cinema surround system to my PC but preferred the Creative. My room is tiny, just built for me for flight and race sims so that may make a difference. Of course it could just be my ears, my musical taste is more Buzzcocks than Beethoven :)

Do most of you use the built in audio on the Reverb or go with a 3rd party plug in? If the later, do you use earbuds or over the ear full headsets? Does the HMD strap get in the way of a over the ear headset?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Really ? I have not noticed anyone else ?

Do most of you use the built in audio on the Reverb or go with a 3rd party plug in? If the later, do you use earbuds or over the ear full headsets? Does the HMD strap get in the way of a over the ear headset?

Built in. Perfectly good, immersive sound quality.

Really ? I have not noticed anyone else ?

You’ve not noticed what exactly?

Ironically I also "broke" my headphone when I first got it. Not the best design to be sure. A bit of super glue and its worked for 6 months without issue. You can always order a replacement I suppose. I was disspointed that my rift headphones that are "almost" the same design didn't work.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Built in. Perfectly good, immersive sound quality.

Hmmm, the sound quality to me is poor and about half of the bass and volume of the Vive pro. The HTC VP ear cups nestled into the ear much better. The reverb barely rests against mine. If I press them hard into my ears they sound OK, but as soon as I release holding them - they move way and the volume is very low even with everything turned up max.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

BTW - I've been "flying" with it for a bit and really liking the resolution. Its a noticeable improvement over the HTC VP rez. But everything about the ergonomics of the headset seems to be an afterthought and sucks, IMO.

Hmmm, the sound quality to me is poor and about half of the bass and volume of the Vive pro. The HTC VP ear cups nestled into the ear much better. The reverb barely rests against mine. If I press them hard into my ears they sound OK, but as soon as I release holding them - they move way and the volume is very low even with everything turned up max.

Honestly, there is something very wrong with your setup as nothing you say regarding fit, quality, etc. sounds correct.

BTW - I've been "flying" with it for a bit and really liking the resolution. Its a noticeable improvement over the HTC VP rez. But everything about the ergonomics of the headset seems to be an afterthought and sucks, IMO.

As I said earlier in this thread, you should sell the Reverb.

I really wonder if you are just trolling now. I’m out of here!

I use an over the head headset which works fine, it's a little tight but providing the ear cups aren't too big you should be OK.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

IDK, aside from busting my earpiece right after I bought it, it seems fine to me. I came from a rift CV-1 so the ergonomics are almost identical aside from the the fact the Reverb is much better ventilated, and also lighter. I'd really look into adjusting the straps and such. If you hate the earphones you have 3.5mm jack right there to plug in whatever you want.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Honestly, there is something very wrong with your setup as nothing you say regarding fit, quality, etc. sounds correct.

As I said earlier in this thread, you should sell the Reverb.

I really wonder if you are just trolling now. I’m out of here!

Why would I be trolling??? I’m honestly trying to make it work. Why would I make this up?

When I get home, I’ll be happy to send pics to show my taped on ear piece and how I’ve had to pull the foam out from the headset to try to get the eye box far enough away from my eyes so I”m not seeing the inside of the headset. And I’m pretty sure I don’t have an unusual shaped face. The Vive fit prefect the first time. If you have any suggestions on my setup, please feel free to add something constructive. If not, then reading and replying to my posts are entirely voluntary.

43951D3B-0697-4F1F-9933-9F875B1032D9.thumb.jpeg.819c03014d91fbe96fbec2ac6e31a249.jpeg

01F3A848-E9FA-432D-BEE9-26945C06494E.thumb.jpeg.dac2d0f4e828bc71286df757c6e788eb.jpeg

Edited by Notso

Why would I be trolling??? I’m honestly trying to make it work. Why would I make this up?

When I get home, I’ll be happy to send pics to show my taped on ear piece and how I’ve had to pull the foam out from the headset to try to get the eye box far enough away from my eyes so I”m not seeing the inside of the headset. And I’m pretty sure I don’t have an unusual shaped face. The Vive fit prefect the first time. If you have any suggestions on my setup, please feel free to add something constructive. If not, then reading and replying to my posts are entirely voluntary.

If that earpiece still works (probably does, it has the wire) you can unscrew the inner piece with a penny or screwdriver or whatever, and superglue the whole thing together and put it back on it might not adjust in/out though, or order a replacement from HP. I personally like the fact I can keep them off my ear and still have hearing S/A from the real world. I have tried it with over the ear headphones and that works fine too.

Strap wise, top strap adjustment is pretty critical IMO, and of course the side straps, but the top one is the most important to get a good fit. I also removed the nosepiece block so I could look under for keyboard S/A. And it helps with ventilating the set.

I honestly think there is an adjustment period when wearing the reverb. I’ve gone from the rift s to the reverb pro.

Was purchased as a means to trouble shooting some issues I was having.

I pulled those speakers off without a second thought . It’s the same thing I’ve done with the cv1. I prefer to use my ear buds.

My head is a bit tender so it took a bit getting use to. While it is lite and pressure on my head makes my head hurt. The pro face pad felt a lot stiffer than I expected. So I went with the vice pro vr cover. Comfort is a lot better.

Last thing I will say is that I probably don’t wear it correctly. When I place it on my head the back strap sits at the top of my head. For me I find this makes it easier to find the sweet spot.

I mention this because while the resolution was great the sweet spot was so narrow I almost decided to return the reverb and keep the rift s.

My two cents and something that might help.

ugh. I am returning my reverb. I am in the same boat it seems as there are just a lot of issues for me with the reverb. There is a small sweetspot, my low IPD made it next to impossible to not feel as if I was going cross-eyed and seeing double-vision on all wording everywhere. I am coming from the cv-1, and I had to plug it back in last night. I gave it a shot with the reverb, but it just isn't comfortable enough to wear for hours. The thick cable is beyond annoying as well. The plastic cover/connector sits right at the top of my chair, and slides across it whenever I move. The fit on my head just isn't great. To get it to look halfway playable, I need the hmd to sit away from my eyes a little more so perhaps a thicker cushion? but really it needs to sit differently all together.

Super disappointed that this thing didn't work out. I think for now I am going to go to the rift-s. Unless my research shows that the sde isn't that much better. As well as the black-lighting compared to the cv-1. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I came across it in my search to see what others though about the reverb.

Don't get me wrong though. the resolution was fantastic in my pin point sweet spot. the f-16 pit was crystal clear. I just can't overcome the cons presented to me. I know these are my issues, and don't doubt that this is an amazing hmd for a person that fits in to the specs of it. I may just be stuck with the cv-1 as my IPD is 55. Sorta sucks :(

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting