do you use Physx

Hello Devs,

Do you use Nvidia Physx to do the physics calculation by any chance? The questions is more about that I have option to get my self another gpu and nvidia drivers support offloading it to the secondary gpu (not talking about SLI), will that help with the framerates, specially in the VR? Or would be the impact negligible, if any?

Thank you.

Nvidia PhysX is proprietary (owned by Nvidia exclusively.)

DCS doesn't use it for that reason--kind of like RTX Raytracing.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

PhysX is not used by DCS, DCS uses its own Physics Engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What:huh:

88's post .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Oh well, this is what I was afraid of... But anyway, thank you for explanation.

Today NVIDIA PhysX is open source. Anyone can use it. :thumbup: :smartass:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/12/03/physx-high-fidelity-open-source/

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

although it is open source you will not be able to use this nvidia driver feature w/ an AMD card - thus not compatible...

Well it will run on your CPU if you have AMD, which since DCS is only using a couple threads, you would have the CPU to spare. But, it would be better running off the card for memory logistics.

although it is open source you will not be able to use this nvidia driver feature w/ an AMD card - thus not compatible...

Aaa gosh, this is going up and down with you guys all the time... But anyway thank you for the explanation, this detail slip my mind.

I guess I need to wait for vulcan than.

Aaa gosh, this is going up and down with you guys all the time... But anyway thank you for the explanation, this detail slip my mind.

I guess I need to wait for vulcan than.

Vulkan doesn't change anything WRT Physx.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Oh wow, I did not know that... Well in that case, the questions still stands. Is DCS using it / going to use it by any chance?

There's no point. If you use PhysX for anything more consequential than visual effects, you lock all AMD GPU users out of your product. That's why PhysX never really took off.

Come let's eat grandpa!

There's no point. If you use PhysX for anything more consequential than visual effects, you lock all AMD GPU users out of your product. That's why PhysX never really took off.

Really? PhysX is used in:

Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Arma series, Metro series, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Warframe, Killing Floor 2, Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight, Borderlands 2, Star Citizen, Ghost in the Shell, Warhammer 40k EC, XCOM series, Warframe, Planetside series, Mafia series...

It is supported natively in engines like Unreal, Unity, and BigWorld.

Didn't realize those games and engines didn't work on AMD!

Physx is soooo 2005-ish. Do you guys remember the stand-alone acceleration card they put on sale? It was a disaster business-wise

Yes, that card comes to mind every time I read "PhysX"

It was such a one week hype back then. It was then nice that it was premised to come to GPU's but as Nvidia bought it and integrated that card features to their GPU, it became Nvidia only.

It is a cool tech. Totally are.

But it is so niche feature really that it is not worth the CPU or GPU processing time!

In DCS I would like to see that for things like ground morphing when exploding, vehicle armors going to pieces and bending, but all that I want to be CPU related!

And let's be honest, such a mechanism is already coming with that new damage modeling and new terrain engine. So no need Physx for that!

So for what the PhysX would be used?

Anyone?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The engines works on AMD, but you can't go to game settings and enable the PhysX back then. Now you can get it to run on CPU, but it is really not so.... Impressive anymore.

https://community.amd.com/thread/241480

https://gpuopen.com/

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

They work, just w/ PhysX Off.

There's no point in using a Physics Middleware SDK when DCS Uses it's own physics engine already.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The engines works on AMD, but you can't go to game settings and enable the PhysX back then. Now you can get it to run on CPU, but it is really not so.... Impressive anymore.

You had to have an nVidia GPU to install the driver, the nVidia Control Panel wouldnt install and function correctly w/ an AMD GPU installed.

I used to run a 8800GTS just to run the PhysX and the hassle of installing Control Panels and drivers was just too much.

Really? PhysX is used in:

Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Arma series, Metro series, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Warframe, Killing Floor 2, Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight, Borderlands 2, Star Citizen, Ghost in the Shell, Warhammer 40k EC, XCOM series, Warframe, Planetside series, Mafia series...

And what does it do in those games? Some fancy graphical effects at most, and don't be mistaken, those won't work with AMD cards.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Well guys, the root of my question was to know if it is worth to buy another GPU for offloading the PhysX to it, so I can get more FPS from my main GPU since I'm playing in VR. And got the answer that the DCS do not use it at all, so oki I'm considering my question fully answered. Do not really care about the other games and what they are using it for...

The moderator, please lock this thread down. I'm considering my question fully answered.

Thank you all for participating, do not want to start any flamewar...