Steam Users

Wrightie

Questions for ED

When will Steam users be able to pre-order the SC module?

Will we also get the 50% discount than non Steam Hornet owners are getting?

I'm happy with DCS and Steam so don't want to move across to the Standalone version but probably like other Steam users hope we won't be penalised for not using the Standalone.

Hope the devs can clarify

Thanks

• ED Team

Hi

We can not add the super carrier to steam for pre-order at this time. If that changes we will let you know, the team are working with steam regarding this.

At the moment it is not possible to give the discount on steam, as mentioned the team are looking in to it.

For now we would ask everyone to be patient if they are remaining with Steam.

For those who have switched to stand alone the discount is now possible via our Eshop after you have linked your steam account to your ED account.

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

We can not add the super carrier to steam for pre-order at this time. If that changes we will let you know, the team are working with steam regarding this.

At the moment it is not possible to give the discount on steam, as mentioned the team are looking in to it.

For now we would ask everyone to be patient if they are remaining with Steam.

For those who have switched to stand alone the discount is now possible via our Eshop after you have linked your steam account to your ED account.

Thank you

Thank you for clarifying, for some of us it's just convenient to use steam. I use steam exclusively, i dont have any game outside steam and i am OCD enough to want to keep it that way.

In my defence i must say that i keep buying modules even though i probably will never fly them just to support the wonderful DCS World team:)

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

• ED Team
I don't know why I used Steam for DCS but it's too late to change now.

Looking forward to the carrier.

It is not to late to switch to stand alone, you can link your steam account to your ED account without issue.

You just can not use ED Eshop purchases with steam.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It is not to late to switch to stand alone, you can link your steam account to your ED account without issue.

You just can not use ED Eshop purchases with steam.

+1

I'm glad I made the break from steam. Wish I did a long time ago, I missed out on a lot of miles by buying thru steam.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

We are working on a solution to make it available on Steam as a pre-order with the same discounts. When we have more news, we look forward to sharing it.

Thanks

Is it possible to cancel and get a refund on my SC pre-order purchase from the ED website, once it gets available on Steam?

From previous messages shared here by ED, I interpreted that the SC 50% bonus would definitely not become available on Steam. So I went ahead and bought it directly from ED. I would however prefer to have it also available on Steam, together with all my modules.

No biggie, just wondering..

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Games that try to use the benefits of steam but also go around steam should probably take a more careful look at their long term plans.

I had no interest in Jets and would have never have bought this game outside of steam. One day I decided to try it (from steam) and I found out that I adore this sim; but now I am somewhat left out of early access releases etc and I am openly encouraged to "leave steam, its better for the developers"

Somehow it doesn't feel right or good

I may be slowing in my old age but i don't "get" steam. Bloatware to me because i fail to see the benefits of it. All i see is another log in screen and a needless program running in the background. This is not the first time I have heard of Steam users missing out on Developers deals because Steam wont allow it.

How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

If you have never anything to do with steam, how can you judge it? Saying its bloatware shows that you really don't know what you are talking about...

The problem with steam is simple: The busines model of DCS with all EA and pre-sale is mostly illegal in most countries. (At least here in europe).

And based on that, steam doesn't want to have those busines models in their shop.

So if they want to use steam with that busines model, they need to find agreements with them.

As HB did with the F-14 and ED already with the F-16.

Sounds strange, but steam just wants to protect their customers and achieve a quality standard.

If you play more games then only DCS, and probably have also friends playing with xou together, then steam is just simple awesome. In any kind.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

If you play more games then only DCS, and probably have also friends playing with xou together, then steam is just simple awesome. In any kind.

100% agree with that. Also Steam provides fast download servers, sales with up to 90% discount, formidable community and modding support (i.e. Steam-Workshop), easy swap from stable to alpha/beta versions and a lot more, most stand alone game users can only dream of.

Bloatware to me because i fail to see the benefits of it. All i see is another log in screen and a needless program running in the background.

This can only come from someone who never touched Steam. Plain and simple.

Back in the very first days when Valve released Half-Life 2, i remember Steam to be horrible. But the platform evolved greatly over the years and i don´t wanna miss it anymore. I strictly stopped purchasing PC games outside of steam years ago and this won´t change. I realy don´t care about if it would be better for the devs (sorry for that, but i´m not Mother Theresa and at least i´m honest), because Steam is better for me. And that´s what counts in the end of the day. If ED or any other dev/publisher would not massivly benefit from Steam, no one would pay the 30% cut Valve takes from them. Electronic Arts (wich is by far bigger than ED) left Steam behind in 2012 because of the 30% cut and is now coming back to Steam with all of their games, admitting that their own platform (Origin) cannot compete with Steam and that it was one of their worst decisions to leave. EA had to learn it the hard way. According to steamspy, all Steam users together have a complete playtime in 2019 of 92 million years. This prooves Steam to be by far the most important games marketplace in the world and that every dev/publisher very much benefits from Steam, while Steam beeing at the same time highly customer friendly.

edit: Another thing i realy love is the fact, that i can just copy/paste my complete Steam folder to another SSD or even a different PC and all the games will perfectly run without reinstall. This feature is steam exclusive afaik.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

100% agree with that. Also Steam provides fast download servers, sales with up to 90% discount, formidable community and modding support (i.e. Steam-Workshop), easy swap from stable to alpha/beta versions and a lot more, most stand alone game users can only dream of.

^This!

I fully understand the business practices of Companies that wish to utilizie their own store, while selling their products on platforms like Steam. But the simple harsh truth is that we are the customers, and it is not our responsibility to care about a companies business practice. Therefore we should not feel forced or tricked into buying the same product from another service through the use of exclusive promotions, simply because it's better for that Company.

That said, I don't mean to encourage people to disregard their favorite developers financial stability. This should be left to the customer to decide for themself should they choose to care or not.

My take on the whole steam issue, is that if a Company does not like not the 30% cut Steam has, then they should simply not use it. But under no circumstances can I support the use of exploitative promotion models, that split the customer base into preferred and non preferred categories simply for purchasing their product from another platform. (Not directly accusing ED of doing this, just stating it's a practice becoming more common among developers in the recent years, and truly hope ED doesn't follow that route.)

Steam User

Owned Modules| F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | AV-8B Harrier | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Warthog | Combined Arms | Supercarrier | NTTR | Persian Gulf |

Module Wishlist | Blackburn Buccaneer | Panavia Tornado | F-111 Aardvark | F-4 Phantom

Ok, I've just received a 20% discount coupon for the DCS Supercarrier on Steam... and it's available for preorder.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1120305/DCS_Supercarrier/

im kinda dissapointed, they didnt state would add discount in steam because of the pre order date problem. So i bought for standalone, then they fixed steam pricing. can i refund this? all of my dlc is on my steam and i didnt want to switch to standalone.

My take on the whole steam issue, is that if a Company does not like not the 30% cut Steam has, then they should simply not use it. But under no circumstances can I support the use of exploitative promotion models, that split the customer base into preferred and non preferred categories simply for purchasing their product from another platform. (Not directly accusing ED of doing this, just stating it's a practice becoming more common among developers in the recent years, and truly hope ED doesn't follow that route.)

The 30% cut is not such a big disadvantage for software developers, as some people want to make believe, since they sell way more games via Steam than they would stand alone. Otherwise EA would stay off Steam. They don´t sell cars, where they would have to sell each car for a price that exceeds the production costs of one unit in order not to loose money. Software devs sell only copies of their product and the price they take for it is pretty unimportant. They just need to sell enough of them in order to make profit. At a 50% discount for each copy, they simply need to sell double the copies and will still have profit unlike i.e. a car manufactor. There weren´t that much discounts on Steam about 10 years ago. Until Valve did a long term research about discounts and they learned, the higher the discount, the more games they sell. At a 50% discount, they sold 6 times more games making triple the money. After that, Valve started to have massive discounts in short intervalls. So the claim, discounts are bad for software developers is a myth and nothing more. The total opposite is fact.

Oh dear, fanboi flak incoming, run for cover Jag.

I´m downloading updates for all of my Steam games with about 40 (fourty) MB/s on a 400Mbit connection. What again is your standalone download speed for DCS updates?:lol:

Calling us fanboys, because we prefer a Ferrari over a Ford Fiesta on a no speed limit highway? You´re the man sherlock, you totally got it! :megalol:

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Thank you everyone for your patience while we sorted this out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1120305/DCS_Supercarrier/?curator_clanid=4471395