Marianas and WW2 assets?

With the announcement of the free Marianas Map (REF), those of us who are interested in WW2 air combat are no doubt thinking about how this map could be used for Pacific Theatre scenarios.

There are some US assets: troops and tanks, landing boats and ships. There are some US aircraft too: the P51D, B17, P47D (was it used in the Pacific?), and the upcoming F4U Corsair.

But what of the Japanese? There has been a hint of an AM6 Zero (

@ 4m29s). But that's it.

Of course development is expensive, so it is not as if ED will suddenly launch into any major development effort on Pacific WW2. But perhaps 1-2 items could be added to the WW2 assets pack, that could be used in the Marianas?

If so, what would be the minimum addition needed to the WW2 Assets Pack to let us fly WW2 Pacific?

If so, what would be the minimum addition needed to the WW2 Assets Pack to let us fly WW2 Pacific?

I'd say most work would be naval assets, you'd need at least a couple of japanese ships, ideally one being a carrier.

For land assets, you'd only need japanese infantry, transport and utility trucks, maybe a tankette. If you'd go truly minimal, japanese forces could just reuse german AAA.

Edited by twistking

Hello,

For me, this ww2 pacific theater is not good news. Today the ww2 assets pack is not rich, and spread resources on several theaters means that this assets pack would need more time to be filled.

Belly

Edited by Belly

Bf 109 K-4 / Fw 190 A-8 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P51-D / Normandy 1944 map + ww2 assets pack

maybe a tankette

There were a couple, so we'd need those too.

No, we'd not, if you consider that question of what would be needed as a "minimum".

More would always be nice, but if you consider that a proper WWII PTO would stretch the asset pack quite far, It's a reasonable question to ask about what the minimum to make it work would be. I don't think that more than one type of armored vehicle would be needed...

I’m not sure modern terrain objects and buildings, and objects I’ve seen around the air bases in the screenshots would look right in a WW2 scenario.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

One thing that is sorely needed for both ETO and PTO are some ship models from that period. When Magnitude releases its Corsair and Essex class carrier, it is going to look pretty funky sailing around all by itself, or with modern day DD's and CA's with their weapons on hold.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, we'd not, if you consider that question of what would be needed as a "minimum".

More would always be nice, but if you consider that a proper WWII PTO would stretch the asset pack quite far, It's a reasonable question to ask about what the minimum to make it work would be. I don't think that more than one type of armored vehicle would be needed...

in fact, the japanese deploy tanks to counter marine landings as peleliu, iwo jima, etc.

http://ttnotes.com/japanese-tank.html

Type 95 on Guam for example.

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/449515606547598639/

The problem has the lack of infantry (need added japanese and marines), towed artillery, mortar and others on WW2 assets packs.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

I’m not sure modern terrain objects and buildings, and objects I’ve seen around the air bases in the screenshots would look right in a WW2 scenario.

There has always been rumours about the new map coming in a WWII flavour and ED were not willing to answer any questions about Marianas and WWII, so it is safe to say, that they are at least investigating the possibility.

in fact, the japanese deploy tanks to counter marine landings as peleliu, iwo jima, etc. [...]

The problem has the lack of infantry (need added japanese and marines), towed artillery, mortar and others on WW2 assets packs.

I don't doubt that they used tanks, i'm just questioning if they were really needed in DCS to set up a basic, yet believable PTO scenario. Ships, Infantry and some utility would be more important and from those maybe some units could even be retextured units from Normandy...

With WWII Marianas confirmed by Nick Grey, this is getting even more relevant.

I'd be very dissapointed, if we wouldn't get a minimal unit set at least. Of course, i'd like to see a full set with whole fleets and many aircraft in the long term, but for release i'd hope for a handful of units at least, to enable simple dogfights and basic ground pounding: One japanese AI aircraft, japanese infantry and utility vehicles, AAA, maybe a destroyer or submarine, a generic cargo ship and some simple retextures of US army to Us marines assets.

Christmas came for me January 13th :) I wonder how the assets will work though? Made by mag 3 and included with F-4u? Added to asset back? A new asset pack? Maybe included with the map?

i think it would be hard to justify another asset pack. but let's not start another wild speculation thread, before we get any solid info from ED.

i just hope, we will get something with the map. even if it is just the bare minimun...

I really don't like the idea of player base splintering asset packs either. I feel like the price should be baked into the cost of a module or map. But a free map makes that difficult... And I'm personally so in love with the idea of a pacific theatre for WWII that I'd throw just about any amount of money at it. Though I know most can't afford to.