Lighting is incredible! - Page 15 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 AM   #141
Lange_666

Send a message via ICQ to Lange_666

Off Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Also noticed that tracks between the two versions also play back differently depending on the DCS version used but always in precisely the same way. So I wonder if there are some minor changes that have happened under the hood--perhaps atmosphere related (used two different aircraft and the same thing happened in both). You can see the difference in this video. The landing on the left in the split screen does not mirror the landing on the right side.

As a VR demonstration i made a track from an F/A-18C doing a carrier landing, taxi to catapult 4 hook up, take-off and then fly low level, turn back to the ship and then pull up just right in front of it (cool to watch in VR).
Originally this worked fine (as long as i didn't switch to much views or it would crash on the ships bow). Then when the first update after the track was released it would still play nice but no further then taxiing to cat 4. It would not hook up anymore and it would blow up on normal take-off (no cat shot) when crashing into the port side of the carrier.
Now, with release 2.5.6, the airplane doesn't even reach the carrier anymore but crashes into the sea about half a mile from the carrier. The F/A-18C then sinks to the bottom and once below the waterline, the water vanishes and the ships look like they are hovering in the sky. If i watch the throttle then you can even see it move forward the moment it would "trap" on the original playback.So tracks are becoming useless when another version arrives.

On Topic:
But yes.. overall the lighting is a great improvement.
System: Win10 Pro 64-bit, CPU: I7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Cooling: Corsair H100i, Motherboard: AsRock Extreme4, Video: ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, RAM: 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400, SSD's: Samsung EVO 120GB & EVO 250GB, HD: Samsung 1TB, Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Cougar (U2 mod) & CH Pro pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.
Personal Wish List: F-16 (it has arrived ), A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module!
Lange_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #142
Tiramisu

Quote:
Because the difference isn’t as dramatic as the difference presented in the darker hours:

The landscapes are not much affected during daylight, but you should have compared some cockpits as well. E.g. the cockpit of the Mirage looks different now. Especially those glassy weapon-select-buttons at the bottom left of the front panel look much more realistic imo.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #143
watermanpc

Quote:
Personally, I'm enjoying the new lighting:

One thing to be aware of, when taking pre- and post- screenshots or videos, is that the sunrise/sunset times may be different between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6. So the sun's position might be different. Haven't really inverstigated further but, in this video, I had to adjust the 2.2.5 portion 23 minutes later to have the sun in the same position on the horizon at video start.

Also noticed that tracks between the two versions also play back differently depending on the DCS version used but always in precisely the same way. So I wonder if there are some minor changes that have happened under the hood--perhaps atmosphere related (used two different aircraft and the same thing happened in both). You can see the difference in this video. The landing on the left in the split screen does not mirror the landing on the right side.

And, yes, the MiG-29's pit lighting is much too bright--regardless of gamma setting--but that's another issue.
Nice comparison!. Other than increasing brightness of bright stuff, which now looks overdone and burnt, I really cant see other difference with previous version.

Take a look at my MODS here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #144
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
It's amazing but need to be tweaked. However I don't understand why many people don't seem to see the difference in the daytime.
I think most people are struggling to see the difference SSLR makes in the daytime cockpit, not the new lighting effects overall.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · 2 x Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #145
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I think most people are struggling to see the difference SSLR makes in the daytime cockpit, not the new lighting effects overall.
Yeah, SSLR is actually more noticeable outside the cockpit, on the fuselage etc, under certain angles. The potential is amazing IMO, since we're talking about real time reflections (finally), but it needs a lot of tweaking and optimization before it's usable. The biggest effect would be the cockpit glass reflections, which are curiously not affected right now, as far as I can tell, even in modules with proper cockpit roughmets. Anyway, it's going to get tweaked and I love the direction ED took here.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR, VAICOM Pro|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #146
Grajo

Right! Full Cockpit RT Reflections (not only exterior env dome) drove by RoughMet textures could be just Sooo Sweet.

http://www.halconesrojos.com/
Grajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #147
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
Nice comparison!. Other than increasing brightness of bright stuff, which now looks overdone and burnt, I really cant see other difference with previous version.
The MiG-29 (or any FC3 plane) isn't really the best choice for this comparison imho. Other modules like the F-16 or F/A-18 seem to have benefitted from the 2.5.6 lighting changes a lot more.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is online now   Reply With Quote