Lighting is incredible!

Dav IRL

Personally, I'm enjoying the new lighting:

One thing to be aware of, when taking pre- and post- screenshots or videos, is that the sunrise/sunset times may be different between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6. So the sun's position might be different. Haven't really inverstigated further but, in this video, I had to adjust the 2.2.5 portion 23 minutes later to have the sun in the same position on the horizon at video start.

Also noticed that tracks between the two versions also play back differently depending on the DCS version used but always in precisely the same way. So I wonder if there are some minor changes that have happened under the hood--perhaps atmosphere related (used two different aircraft and the same thing happened in both). You can see the difference in this video. The landing on the left in the split screen does not mirror the landing on the right side.

And, yes, the MiG-29's pit lighting is much too bright--regardless of gamma setting--but that's another issue.

Nice comparison!. Other than increasing brightness of bright stuff, which now looks overdone and burnt, I really cant see other difference with previous version. :noexpression:

Take a look at my MODS here

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing but need to be tweaked. However I don't understand why many people don't seem to see the difference in the daytime.

I think most people are struggling to see the difference SSLR makes in the daytime cockpit, not the new lighting effects overall.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think most people are struggling to see the difference SSLR makes in the daytime cockpit, not the new lighting effects overall.
Yeah, SSLR is actually more noticeable outside the cockpit, on the fuselage etc, under certain angles. The potential is amazing IMO, since we're talking about real time reflections (finally), but it needs a lot of tweaking and optimization before it's usable. The biggest effect would be the cockpit glass reflections, which are curiously not affected right now, as far as I can tell, even in modules with proper cockpit roughmets. Anyway, it's going to get tweaked and I love the direction ED took here.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Nice comparison!. Other than increasing brightness of bright stuff, which now looks overdone and burnt, I really cant see other difference with previous version. :noexpression:

The MiG-29 (or any FC3 plane) isn't really the best choice for this comparison imho. Other modules like the F-16 or F/A-18 seem to have benefitted from the 2.5.6 lighting changes a lot more.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hello,

how is visibility distance of navigation and other aircraft lights? is this already improved on the open beta? one of the big things i'm looking forward to is navigation light being actually useful with very high visibility and range.

The MiG-29 (or any FC3 plane) isn't really the best choice for this comparison imho. Other modules like the F-16 or F/A-18 seem to have benefitted from the 2.5.6 lighting changes a lot more.

I would agree, F-15 lighting seems rather hosed in the night missions now. Not impressed

Hello,

how is visibility distance of navigation and other aircraft lights? is this already improved on the open beta? one of the big things i'm looking forward to is navigation light being actually useful with very high visibility and range.

wasn't addressed - ie. have to zoom in to see runway lights while the lights of the city are visible at same range...

Not for me.... runway lights are visible from far distances now and navigational lights are also brighter and easier to see...

They even shine a light now, making for a cool effect when taxing.

It is in general a lot easier to see at night, you can see a lot of shimmering stars (quite pretty with NVGs).

Not all lights and cockpits are adjusted yet

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days