TACAN notation question (Departure Plans)

agathorn

Hey guys,

Not sure if there is a better sub forum for this, but here goes.

One of the things I get a lot of enjoyment out of in DCS is flying as close as possible to real world procedures, even when it doesn't matter since I only play single player (so far).

I know some things mostly about civil aviation, and a little Air Force because I served, but only as an enlisted on the ground (EW tech), but a lot of the more advanced things I'm trying real hard to learn.

I've been flying around Nellis a lot lately with the F-5 as a sort of self imposed "Advanced Jet Training" course before the F-16 comes out and I'm trying to understand the DP charts that you can find on SkyVector.

One of the things that confuses me is certain TACAN notation. Now I know the basics of TACAN and how to use it to find an airfield and in theory make an approach with it, though still really rough on implementation there. But the DP charts also use TACAN for indicating directions for departure but in a way that I'm not sure I understand.

For example, looking at the DP for Nellis titled FYTTR FIVE (https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1906/pdf/00227FYTTR.PDF) I see this for departure 21L/R:

Turn right to intercept LSV TACAN R-270 outbound, remain within LSV 4 DME until joining LSV R-270, cross LSV R-256 between 5000 and 6000.

What does the R-### mean and why does the same TACAN station have different numbers there?

My GUESS here, which may be completely wrong, is that the ### is a course to plug into the TACAN and you are looking to cross that, so different courses give you different crossings? If this is so, are you look for the deviation line to flip or something else?

Any help would be most appreciated and even better if you know of a video covering this.

Thanks!

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Radials can serve two purposes:

1) They can be headings you fly to/from a station on that radial

2) They can be used to mark specific distances as you cross them while flying a particular magnetic heading

So in the above DP, you’re going to join and fly the Nellis 270 Radial but before you do that, you’re going to stay within 4nm of the TACAN and must cross the 256 Radial between 5000’ and 6000’. So as you’re making the (roughly) right 180 off RWY 21R you’ll cross the 256 Radial BEFORE you get to and turn to follow the 270 Radial outbound.

The 270 Radial meets the #1 point above and the 256 Radial is serving the #2 point above.

Edited by Emmy
Corrected to RWY 21R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks! Getting the proper terminology here, radial in this case, helped me fine some good videos on intercepting VOR radials and I think I have a clearer understanding of the procedure now.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.