Aircraft "disintegrate" after landing on many NTTR airports. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
funkyfranky

Default Aircraft "disintegrate" after landing on many NTTR airports.

Some aircraft get despawned and vanish into thin air on the majority of NTTR airports.

I've seen this being reported for B-17 on airfields in Normandy. But it also happens for aircraft as small as a Yak-40 on the NTTR map.

"Bad" airports, where a Yak-40 gets despawned:
  • Creech AFB
  • Jean Airport
  • Boulder City Airport
  • North Las Vegas
  • Echo Bay
  • Mesquite
  • Lincoln County
  • Pahute Mesa Airstrip
  • Beatty Airport
  • Mina Airport 3Q0

"Good" airports, where a Yak-40 does not get despawned:
  • Tonopah Airport
  • Tonopah Test Range Airfield
  • Henderson Executive Airport
  • McCarran International
  • Nellis AFB
  • Groom Lake
  • Laughlin Airport

Other small aircraft such as fighters seem to do okay in general. But I could not be bothered to check each and every airport, of course.

Some other quick tests which did NOT work:
  • E-2D, C-130, A-50, IL-76 land at Creech and get despawned.
  • S-3B gets despawned on landing at Jean Airport.

Surely, aircraft as small as a Yak-40 should be able to take-off and land at most if not all airports on the NTTR map. Also in some of the other quick tests, I'm not sure if the current implementation is correct.

It should be easy to reproduce, but just in case, I have attached mission and track files for a Yak landing and being despawned at Creech AFB.

Last edited by funkyfranky; 02-01-2019 at 07:50 AM.
funkyfranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Its a parking issue. Either the available parking spaces are to small or are occupied. So the AI has nowhere to taxi to and it just despawns. Is the same reason you can't set those aircraft to take-off from ramp at those bases.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
funkyfranky

Ah, I begin to understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Is there any way to find out which aircraft can land on which airport other than putting it on the map and try a ramp start? In particular, any solution by scripting would be great.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
Grimes
ED Testers Team

There are no direct functions for it. You could manually look over each airbase and essentially make a simple database with information on the number of small, medium, large, and helicopter spawn locations. It is a little annoying though since you don't have control over where exactly at the base a aircraft will spawn at on the actual base.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
funkyfranky

Thanks Grimes! I will have to think about this.

There is another issue related to the parking spots.

In DCS 1.5, when an aircraft shall be spawned at an airport where it does not have a parking position, it is spawned in air above the airport.

In DCS 2.1 aircraft get spawned on the runway if they don't have a valid parking position (e.g. if the airport is already full). The problem is that they even get spawned on top of each other and then cannot move any more if more than one additional plane is spawned. This blocks the runway for all the other planes which want to take-off or land.
Personally, I would prefer the solution of aircraft spawning in air if they don't have a parking space since it avoids this problem.

Do you know if the implementation in 2.1 will be changed to that of 1.5? Or is there a good reason why aircraft are spawned on the runway?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Can you attach a mission? When I tried it the aircraft spawned in air just above a parking spot. It'd be helpful to try something out on 2.1 and then test it again on the tester version.

Though I did discover a different bug, but somewhat related anyways.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
funkyfranky

So here is the mission. Very simple and easy to reproduce. I should mention that I use MOOSE for the spawning.

Here is the image of what is happening.

Attachment 169706

Similar code runs fine with 1.5.7, i.e. aircraft spawn in air when they don't find parking space.

Very interesting that for you it does not happen in 2.1! There must be a solution then

Last edited by funkyfranky; 02-01-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
funkyfranky

Grimes, could you reproduce the issue? Or could you please let me know how you are spawning the aircraft so that they don't get spawned on the runway? Maybe I can figure out the difference and adjust my code.

Last night I had another strange behavior at McCarran. Even when the parking slot usable by the aircraft and was free, it spawned on the runway.
To be more precise, I spawn the same aircraft type in regular intervals on an otherwise empty airport. The first few get spawned at their parking position and start taxiing out. So in principle the parking spot is free again. But aircraft which got spawned later ended up at the runway.

It looked a bit like the parking spots were not set to "unoccupied/free" after the first aircraft had already left their spots.

I could post a track in a couple of hours if that would be helpful?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
funkyfranky

I seriously think the parking spots are not set to "free/unoccupied" again after aircraft have been dynamically spawned at them the first time. You guys need further evidence on this?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
funkyfranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Can you attach a mission?
My apology that I have to come back to this. But the issue is still there in 2.2. Grimes, did you by any chance have time to look into the mission I attached? I am really interested if you could reproduce the behaviour. I have seen this being reported by some others meanwhile.