Changing the Y position of a surface ship.

So I download this mod created by markindel, and it is a very decent model with detailed animations and weapons. I am currently making a somewhat limited naval warfare mod(combined arms included) by editing the .lua files and creating additional scripts for naval units, I plan to do a demonstration of my work on my Youtube channel and will also share any of my work if complete.

The problem I am having right now is the Y position of the ship which is too high. The red part of the hull is too visible and it does not look too pleasant. :(

I am not experienced in advanced 3D modelling nor have I used any version of 3DS max. What I want to do is decrease the level so that the red part is not visible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks. :)

1440209909_Desktop03_24.2017-18_54_36_02.thumb.png.b9d96f352655370e2a065d42abbf5774.png 1303899400_Desktop03_24.2017-18_54_16_01.thumb.png.2bf50f85dafc3edd2c1ca1611794c10c.png

Link for the .edm file

http://www.filedropper.com/ussbainbridge

------------------------------------------

I'm not sure but I think you can alter the level of the flight deck with one of these values in the .lua file. You lower the flight deck level, the whole ship follows it down, or something like that.

It could be either the Height or the Deck level values, try both and see. If its not these 2 then you will need a 3dMax expert to change it in the .edm file.

GT.shipLength = 172.8

GT.Width = 15

GT.Height = 37.2

GT.Length = 172.8

GT.DeckLevel = 8

These next 2 give you the position of the wake at bow and stern

GT.X_nose = 75.7412

GT.X_tail = -65

This gives you the width of the wake at the stern

GT.Tail_Width = 15

I'm not sure but I think you can alter the level of the flight deck with one of these values in the .lua file. You lower the flight deck level, the whole ship follows it down, or something like that.

It could be either the Height or the Deck level values, try both and see. If its not these 2 then you will need a 3dMax expert to change it in the .edm file.

GT.shipLength = 172.8

GT.Width = 15

GT.Height = 37.2

GT.Length = 172.8

GT.DeckLevel = 8

GT.X_nose = 75.7412

GT.X_tail = -65

This gives you the width of the wake at the stern

GT.Tail_Width = 15

I believe this is correct.

I have used the same adjustments in creating 3D main menu screens.

You could raise and lower the ship in the water.

Which raises a question, so to speak,

Can you lower just one end of a ship?

If so, what a neat way to simulate sunken ships in the Me.

Add a lot more smoke and ta da! instant eye candy!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Markindel was able to lower one end of a ship but I'm pretty sure he did that in the edm, not the lua.

I did think about trying this shipwreck thing once, several ship you could use, half sunk, using the in game skins but just burn them out, it could look quite good but you cannot run them up on a beach, its either on the land or on the sea, the game wont let you do both.

I tried to persuade others to introduce some civilian ships in to the game a while ago but it fell on deaf ears, nobody is interested or has the time, so I gave up on both at the same time.

Some really nice freighters in the CadNav site, and Markindel did the Ocean Liner for me, so you can see what quality there is available.

@crazyeddie Nope nothing, I tried changing the .lua values and didn't see any difference or did you mean a different .lua file not the ones that are included with the mod?

@Hawkeye I assume it worked with default DCS ships?

Appreciate the help.

Dan - It would be the lua that comes with that ship. Thinking back I tied to raise the height of a flight deck once and all that did was make helo's land about 10 feet above the deck, the notional deck level moved relative to the model but the physical model didnt move at all.

So its got to be something to do with the edm I would say. I cant help you with that.

You could try asking the maker of the model to lower it a bit, that would be your best option.

How deep the ship "sits" in the water is down to the placement of the 3D model in the viewports of 3ds Max - the centerline corresponds to water level.

I don't think there is anyway you can adjust that in the game - the parameters crazyeddie mentioned have other functions(perhaps related to the collision model).

GT.X_nose = 75.7412

GT.X_tail = -65

Yes they define the distance from center point of the ship - a positive value forward and negative value towards the rear.