Do you want simulation of (voice) radio communication integrated in DCS?

muffler

Do you want simulation of (voice) radio communication integrated in DCS?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want simulation of (voice) radio communication integrated in DCS?

• It is necessary as full analog of a radio communication, without any trouble with third-party.
    • It is necessary as a voice chat.
    • Don't need. Sufficient third-party programs.
    • Your option.

I've written one that integrates with teamspeak and has optional radio effects if you want... http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2722532&postcount=80

I'm also part way through writing a completely stand alone voice program, no teamspeak required. The goal is that as long as you join a multiplayer server running the program, it'll automatically connect you and just work, a bit like how Mumble did for Project reality in the early implementation.

So far I've got complete integration with DCS and client server all working. Now trying to optimise how voice is encoded, decoded and dejittered.

If anyone wants to help out please PM Me as I'd really appreciate it! :)

Source here for the standalone: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

This sounds really good Cribob!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 3 months later...

There used to be an Overlay-Plugin for TeamSpeak in DCS. From my understanding, after several changes in the engine, which broke the overlay, whoever was writing the overlay-plugin gave up in frustration.

I see know reason DCS should invent the wheel again. DCS should write and maintain the overlay, or at the very least work with TeamSpeak, or a third party, to produce one, and so that the overlay author has minimal impact when DCS is updated.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

This is the new project I'm working on. Standalone radio comms for DCS, no teamspeak required.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2826669

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Support Ciribob. Make it be pushed to official add-on when finished and upgraded with full set of features.

Edit: What's this "trouble with 3rd party" word structure? Introducing 3rd party developers helped DCS advance faster. There are no real troubles with 3rd party developers who are "in the game" currently. Just normal developer issues and setbacks which are all, in my personal opinion, in the margins of expected. This thread has a good discussion idea in the core, but it is badly put by OP. Unfortunately, it is put in a way that could result with many diversions off subject by people who don't like how it's set (like I am right now in this comment), or by people who misunderstood what the OP wanted to say due to poor construction of the first post and poll (check previous replies).

Sorry, I know I'd feel bad for receiving a comment like this one of mine, but just being honest and it's just my opinion. You don't need to value it.

Also, MODS please don't delete this even if it's comparison with another software - this one is in favor of DCS: There is a civilian flight sim that does not have voice comms integrated, has miserable default flight models, collision was never solved properly etc. (which is all more than well done in DCS), but has 3rd party:

- Real time weather import

- ATC and external comms that people use to have excellent immersion and raise the level of sim-feel

- ATC Software

Now, if people would pay attention to what is happening in DCS and if everyone wouldn't rush to prove how he has great ideas before checking what's in the store ATM (figure of speach, not the actual DCS Store) and would be more supportive of 3rd party efforts and help them instead of trying to be new messiah, that'd help a lot in my opinion.

Edited by Pitot

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

Definitely. A lot of online Sqn's spend a lot of time and effort getting plugins to do this.

Not to take anything away from the plugin developers who make great tools, but simply put, they cannot compete with the ease of use when compared to something built straight into the game.

The argument of it being 'too complicated' is ridiculous to me. We're talking about a study level sim, for people who want to learn their chosen aircraft inside and out, but when it comes to radios we need simplicity?

If people want the simple system (ala FC3 level aircraft) then simply have the choice to disable it. It's never been there so far so for those who can't be bothered to learn it, your experience remains unaltered.

But for the enthusiast, its one area that DCS is severely lacking in, IMO. We have full fidelity systems modelled, the radios even work properly, yet you can't talk over them. Add that and we've got something very special. Most multiplayer games have VOIP already, and numerous developers have clearly indicated that it's not impossible to get VOIP hooked into the radios.

+2.

Integrating UR or any one of the other half supported, dying, broken options is a pain in the rear end. Hours spent trying to herd cats. Keep TS as a chit-chat option, its never going away, but have the radios in game actually transmit with LoS and power and frequency simulation. You dont have to use it and you can use TS on top of it if you want to ignore the radios or have an FC3 aircraft....or even the wrong radio.

+3

Quotes say it all

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

"they cannot compete with the ease of use when compared to something built straight into the game."

Very wrong.

You are correct but when will that happen do you think...............In the meantime this is a good interim solution

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

I also think that the term "very wrong" isn't quite right, Pitot. A third party plugin can do the job, but it is much harder to make it non-obtrusive.

I do agree though that some of the existing solutions for that are a huge pain in the behind to setup, so I'd love to have a more simple solution. Even Ciribobs (awesome because relatively simple to set up) project has the "problem" of

- installing a software

- opening two additional ports in a firewall

- having some additional popup-window thingie to handle

Some people can't (or don't want to, in case of the ports) handle that.

An integrated voice comm software part would be better IMO.

I still applaud the people who try (and in many parts succeed) to bring this functionality into DCSW in the meantime, and I hope ED will some day make the step to implement it into the stock game. No additional programs or stuff, just hop in and use the radios. :)

EDIT:

And the example of certain FPS games shows: People will use TS3 anyway if they want to, so everyone can still choose to ignore radio settings and just have an open channel.

Edited by Aginor

- opening two additional ports in a firewall

Small point but you only need to open ports if you're hosting the server, no need otherwise :)

• Like 1

"Even Ciribobs"...

Why do you people jump to agony of self-pitty-of-DCS-player so quickly? The guy made an announcement just few weeks back and IMMEDIATELY there is "no, this can't be done" kind of stench in the air.

First of all, 90% of you claim that 3rd parties can't do the job as good as ED but you all forget that you don't actually know how much support 3rd party devs get from ED in terms of technical and material (files etc.) support. Ofc that it will seem light years away to a user who doesn't know all the details. Ofc ED chooses what is and what is not good for them to accept to be an official plugin and all in it's time.

A counter-argument to all of you:

A: Mig21

B: Hawk

C: Huey

D: All 3rd party modules released between EDs A10C and Ka50 - and today, while ED is busy on the game engine and improvements of the sim overall (Disclaimer: this isn't said in "blaming tone", au contrair!)

So, with all these people developing full blown airplane modules, more complex than any of such plugins we're discussing here - you guys still feel like there are no people out there that can make it with support of ED? Sorry, but that seems like talking without thinking. Facts and statistics say that 3rd party devs and community are more than capable of making tons of functional and good stuff even before being officially supported and given access to developer goodies. :)

No need to have a competition who has better ideas on the field where someone is already working hard on the solution. In my country it is called "reinventing the hot water". ;) Support people working hard at least by useful feedback after using their products, or work better and harder.

EDIT:

And the example of certain FPS games shows: People will use TS3 anyway if they want to, so everyone can still choose to ignore radio settings and just have an open channel.
- As it is in Flight Sims anyway... So, I don't see some well developed communities with realism level in comms pushed to max having problems even with using TS2 to achieve communication. How would a 3rd party communication module be wrong, or worse than that which anyway functions on a very high level... On top of it all, Ciribob is doing it by himself officially, so if we'd instead of moaning try to help him advance the development and then after achieving highest possible functionality as an unofficial mod - ask ED to consider integrating it into the game directly. Now, Ciri should have that in mind and try to develop the plugin so that it can be integrated with greater ease into DCS, with data he can obtain in this current situation.
Edited by Pitot

You are correct but when will that happen do you think...............In the meantime this is a good interim solution

When will what? If I understand correctly - you seem to say that 3rd party would need more time than ED to develop this or some other improvements and additions to gameplay in DCS.

Imagine that there are no 3rd party airplanes released, and we're waiting for ED to fight their way trough the last couple of years of making very noticeable and visible improvements to the game engine.

Pushing all the work to EDs side of table is not speeding it up at all. Also, I have less and less understanding of such an aversion to 3rd party developers while most of us fly 3rd party modules - a lot.

ED had proven to be quite supportive to 3rd party dev's and there was even that one time where 3rd party dev crashed and ED sacrificed their money, time, effort and manpower to prevent us from being damaged. Support people now, see results later. Believe in people.

I think we might have a slight misunderstanding here:

A third party software is not necessarily worse, it is just more likely it is less integrated.

As long as it gets integrated into the game I don't care if the plugin is developed by ED or by a third party. Just like the 3rd party planes, compared to mods. Mods also can be (and some really are) awesome, but the desirable quality is only achieved by those that are really integrated into the game.

Should ED do that with Ciribob's or a similar software module I'd be as happy as if they did it themselves. Until then something like Ciribob's solution is much better than nothing of course. But integrated into the game would be even better.

Edited by Aginor

When will what? If I understand correctly - you seem to say that 3rd party would need more time than ED to develop this or some other improvements and additions to gameplay in DCS..

Yes I think there is a slight misunderstanding. I don't know if an 'official' 3rd party, or ED themselves, are even developing a solution to an integrated, useable multiplayer radio system but we have been waiting a long time for one.

I fully support Ciribob's current mod as an interim solution or if it gets adopted by ED, as a 3rd party mod.

Also, I have less and less understanding of such an aversion to 3rd party developers while most of us fly 3rd party modules - a lot. .

I am also fully supportive of 3rd Party developers, more than you may know :music_whistling:

Plato

I am also fully supportive of 3rd Party developers, more than you may know :music_whistling:

Not pointing fingers at anyone here, but the overall atmosphere was a total disaster looking like nobody is actually supporting anything except that ED should, basically, hire 200 more people, dress them in red-white suits and put them into DCS Raindeer Delivery Express around the globe to fulfill wishes. Just my impression. DCS Santa... XD

BADSANTA_2747800b.jpg

Edited by Pitot

It would be a nice limited Dec. 31st offer. Santa and the reindeers... Nevada would be fun. Especially if sleds would carry AAMRAMs XD

That reminds me of the Topgun Christmas Card incident I read about:

They had - among other things - a picture of Santa on a sled, and the caption read (IIRC) "only an a**hole would shoot down Santa" and in the back it was another picture, of Santa and the reindeers hanging on chutes, the sled burning and going down, and the caption read something like "merry christmas from the a**holes at Topgun"

It caused an incident because a superior officer disliked a - slightly less tasteful and NSFW - picture they had also attached.

I LOL'd hard reading that story, in two different books IIRC.

EDIT: Also we are drifting dangerously Off-topic....

So yeah, voice comms are cool, and we should totally have them soon. :)

Edited by Aginor

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig this up, but I think this is an important issue.

Native voice comms is standard in many games and I don't see why DCS should be any different.

Having the voice comms working on the correct frequencies would be extra awesome.

I know there are third party apps that do this, but they take alot of setting up and are notoriously finicky. Plus everyone using the software needs to be on the same standard. This is only an option for established squadrons.

Imagine how native voice comms would revolutionise online play. Complete strangers could start talking to each other and actually coordinate attacks and actually try and achieve the mission goals rather than going lone wolf as it is often the case now.

This isn't just a nice to have, but an important step to achieving full realism.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Only people who even tried SR should be allowed to vote.

Right now I'm afraid a lot people just read "do you want..." and hit that greed button.

Make SR an official 3rd party mod so it can get support for the missing aircrafts and and little tweaks.

Other than that its exactly what everybody wants.

It is also easy to set up and it is in heavy use on high populated MP servers.

cheers

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Sorry to dig this up, but I think this is an important issue.

Native voice comms is standard in many games and I don't see why DCS should be any different.

Having the voice comms working on the correct frequencies would be extra awesome.

I know there are third party apps that do this, but they take alot of setting up and are notoriously finicky. Plus everyone using the software needs to be on the same standard. This is only an option for established squadrons.

Imagine how native voice comms would revolutionise online play. Complete strangers could start talking to each other and actually coordinate attacks and actually try and achieve the mission goals rather than going lone wolf as it is often the case now.

This isn't just a nice to have, but an important step to achieving full realism.

Please give SimpleRadio standalone a try. It uses the inbuilt radios and even the even cockpit ptt and intercom if they are clickable

It shouldn't be finicky, it's the easiest install and easy to troubleshoot. :)

It's open source and maybe one day will become the standard radio tool for public servers... Quite a few servers are running it now. Aries and univers have differing features but don't scale so well for public events due to teamspeak sync issues. They are both in their own right incredible pieces of work!

I will slowly bring as much of the UI as possible into DCS so it seems less of an add-on.

I am quite biased though.... :D

Feel free to PM if you have any issues

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Edited by Ciribob
  • Like 1

Only people who even tried SR should be allowed to vote.

Sorry, but that's probably a little exaggerated. SRS is the latest radio mod, which exists for DCS. The beginning of all these was TARS, developed by Headspace in 2010. UniversRadio has been before Simple Radio, also the Aries Radio System.

But in my opinion, a unique solution as a DCS dlc would be the best solution, because we wouldn't have trouble, because different groups are using different tools. It's the same issue, like using other (unit) mods. It should be developed by tacno and Ciribob, because both develop our current radio tools. Each tool has its pros and cons.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]