3D Models, Priorities and Progress

terminator363

Recently I've noticed 3rd party developers are releasing exceptional content while ED's platform perpetually ages.

Now, I'm not going to deny there have been improvements in lighting and effects. However, compared to 3D models of 3rd developers the platform and its original modules start to look a little off. Usually you would expect the base engine to trump all 3rd party content. I understand ED is trying to broaden its market scope with WW2 content but there isn't really support for existing modules (besides physics tweaks). I mean fair play to expand the playing ground and introduce a more diverse player field but treat your existing users with equal priority. Quality > Quantity. Worst part is ED is a painfully obvious puppet of The Fighter Collection.

If you're reading this it probably isn't the first time you would have heard this rant. Lots of us discovered DCS as a pure modern fighting sim and enjoyed its modern focus. Many were upset when WW2 entered the series - and fair enough we already have IL2, WarThunder and older titles that satisfy the market. That's not my reason to be upset.

The reason why I'm frustrated is that older FC3 modules and base components are being neglected. We have a mass influx of new modules but I still cant see through the mirrors of my MiG 29. My Su-25 is still rocking pods with two polygons. The encyclopedia is a plethora of grey blobs.

I keep being told 3D models are being improved but years go by and I don't see any changes. The work is simple but ED has its hands tied with stakeholders. By all means continue to release new content but set aside a minute of your time to unify the experience.

There's a glitch in the matrix and its every model the team has turned its back on. Its an immersion killer for everyone, modern day users and WW2 users.

Happy Bug Hunting!

Well, if you read the newsletters, your main points are being addressed.

Mig-29 is getting PFM and updated cockpit soon (maybe this week).

ED have said they're updating the cockpits of the older modules. KA-50 is in progress, and they've just shown off screenshots of the new P-51D cockpit.

They've been quitely updating the 3d models of the AI units too. Although they've been doing a lot of missiles recently.

Don't disagree I'd like the pace to be quicker, but to say they're not doing anything isn't true.

This USA truck is starting to get to me a little....:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=195586&stc=1&d=1539072664

Screen_181009_180756.thumb.jpg.9d6550a57264feff18ae4b9e40aa9cc6.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Oh the changes ARE there. It's just glacial. Look at the announcement of the SA-2 and Silkworm, just to see the time it took to get them to arrive. We still expect the Su-34 shown, how long ago? The Arleigh Burke...

The intentions of ED are clear to see, it's just getting used to the speed at which it happens.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Maybe the community could help ED a bit, if there are individuals interested in doing so.

How about this:

Focusing on ground units or static objects, ED could define what the constrains are in terms of poly count, texture maps, moving parts and so on. They could make the models available that are in the sim right now, such that there is a base to start from. Then people from the community could pick them up and refurbish them. ED could perform some final adjustments and put them in the sim. Maybe this could reduce the workload a bit.

Furthermore, new objects could be added this way as well. (For instance, I would like to have more shipping container static objects...:smilewink:)

However, I'm not sure how to deal with cases where multiple people model the same object. Maybe the models could be put into a git repository or similar, thus changes could be tracked and the work could be coordinated.

I think there are people who are willing to improve the sim for free and would gladly send in detailed 3d models for outdated things. There would have to be an intermediate person who would act as a barrier and only send the good stuff to ED to make a final call whether they take it in or not.

It could be done also in a way that ED would pay them but this is obviously much more complicated.

Back in the Black Shark and A10C days, ED updated lots of AI models to decent standard. But nowadays, they either add completely new units, or make so crazy detailed models that it takes months to finish a single thing. Look at the details of the new Land Rovers or Silkworm added in the latest patch, they would fit straight in a modern FPS game, or as playable units in one of those MMO tank sims.

Meanwhile, many of the most used AI units are still 15+ years old. That US truck is a good example. Which is funny, because they already have better models of this truck chasis for the Patriot SAM system, just not the side wall box type.

I think recently there's too much focus on the quality of the AI models instead of quantity. They look good on screenshots, but I really don't care if all the gauges are in the right place in that Landrover cockpit when I'm flying over it at 500 km/h. Or even when I'm hovering next to it in a helicopter.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Back in the Black Shark and A10C days, ED updated lots of AI models to decent standard. But nowadays, they either add completely new units, or make so crazy detailed models that it takes months to finish a single thing. Look at the details of the new Land Rovers or Silkworm added in the latest patch, they would fit straight in a modern FPS game, or as playable units in one of those MMO tank sims.

Meanwhile, many of the most used AI units are still 15+ years old. That US truck is a good example. Which is funny, because they already have better models of this truck chasis for the Patriot SAM system, just not the side wall box type.

I think recently there's too much focus on the quality of the AI models instead of quantity. They look good on screenshots, but I really don't care if all the gauges are in the right place in that Landrover cockpit when I'm flying over it at 500 km/h. Or even when I'm hovering next to it in a helicopter.

I totally agree with you...I appreciate a lot the effort of doing such a great models but I cant help myself wondering why giving a damn truck such a crazy detail while we have aircrafts models from lomac????:huh:...the new missiles /sams/antiair/etc models are incredible but why not doing a "ok" model for them and saving these incredible detailed models for AIRCRAFTS???, At the end of the day this is a flight simulator right??...I would love to have a b52 for instance, of such a great quality but all we have is a 30 poly model...meanwhile the silkworm model looks ready for a new hollywood movie...wouldnt it be better to have an ok silkworm model and a gorgeous b52 model????...and dont get me wrong, having such a detailed models is amazing but if resources and TIME are limited then I choose planes and flight stuff over other things, even more at the developing rate, otherwise at the time they update and release the su34 the hornet will need a full revamp...:music_whistling:

Take a look at my MODS here

I agree wholeheartedly with whats been said. I saw they included the new Su-34 model in the MiG-29 trailer. Why don't we have it in sim yet? We saw screenshots of it months ago, but still not in sim as of now. Why not? You would think they would have the ability to put out one or 2 updated models a month. I mean I know quality work takes time but I just don't get how updated models are so few and far between.

IMO ED needs to hammer out assets/ ME improvements after the Hornet. Belsimtek along with 3rd party devs can keep the aircraft coming in the mean time. Not saying ED isn't working on these things now, I just think it's time to bring them to the forefront and really hit it hard. My 2 cents

If you check my "List of vacant models"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115

You can see "in progress" and the "updated" required models from Lomac / FC / Ka-50 times..... the main problem about them ED require "dozens" of 3D teams to update them. They have a external 3D team intent build old models to new and add new 3D models.

Take care and wait for news.