New Fulcrum PFM is very susceptible to PIO and excessive bounce. - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #71
Steinsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Reducing the ROD is the tricky part due to the same 'reverse' ground effect like in the F/A-18.

Aaaaaah! So there's a word for that. I've noticed my mig takes a dive once reaching 30m AGL, even though AoA and speed are constant at this point. I could not explain that.
I counter it with more trim.

Last edited by Steinsch; 06-12-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #72
mkiii

@Steinsch That comment wasn't specifically directed at you, but in general. As for the setting up of the stick - for my part, as mentioned, it isn't the stick. All other a/c fly OK. The only one I still have problems with due to my lack of practice, is the F-14 in dogfight situations, but that's me not handling it. As for landin the 29 - that rarely happens now, since I seem to be spending any time post takeoff trying to figure out what is going on with the stick before giving up and flying something easier like the Gazelle. If my controls are 3 foot long or 3 inches long, it will make no difference if the FCS making me trim the nose up until it has little nose down authority. It's as if a half implemented FFB system is trying to act on a non FFB stick. As I previously mentioned - in neutral trim, at moderate cruising speeds with the aircraft in damper mode, and straight & level, pulling gently back on the stick actually makes it push forwards in the cockpit. This can be trimmed out with Nose UP trim to a point where the opposite occurs - stick back causes the cockpit stick to go forward. A click of nose down trim then presumably puts it in what it wants to be neutral trim. At the same time, the left and rtight movements cannot be trimmed out and act as if stuck until enough force is acting to get the cockpit stick to move. This can not be how the real thing works - pilots would be crashing left right & centre. So it seems I am the only one with this specific problem, and it is only on the latest version of the Mig-29s. I think I'll just give up on this for now, it's not worth the effort.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #73
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
It's as if a half implemented FFB system is trying to act on a non FFB stick. As I previously mentioned - in neutral trim, at moderate cruising speeds with the aircraft in damper mode, and straight & level, pulling gently back on the stick actually makes it push forwards in the cockpit. This can be trimmed out with Nose UP trim to a point where the opposite occurs - stick back causes the cockpit stick to go forward. A click of nose down trim then presumably puts it in what it wants to be neutral trim. At the same time, the left and rtight movements cannot be trimmed out and act as if stuck until enough force is acting to get the cockpit stick to move. This can not be how the real thing works
Have you checked the FFB settings? AFAIK these can e.g. ruin the airplane handling if set to ON without having an FFB joystick.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #74
mkiii

Yup. FFB is off, and no non FC3 modules are affected, not even the SU-25T - an erstwhile FC aircraft. I noticed that the odd twitchy stick movement is also present in the F-15 and A-10A, but not the associated lack of control - it's weird to say the least. I'm just hoping that a fix finds it's way into the mix at some point. My problem does seem like fighting a trimming force. And just to get back on topic, I did try some landings. Boy does this thing bounce. It's like a powerball. All of the FC aircraft also seem more than willing to tip over at a moments notice, as bad as the Spit.

[EDIT] Heads up - the cause of my trim and sticky stick problems was that the new option in the Gameplay GUI for "Autotrimmer" was set ON - Not sure exactly what it is meant to do, but it didn't help. Mig-29 still handles like a pig, but at least it goes where I point it now.

Last edited by mkiii; 06-13-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Found problem
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #75
Zeagle

I recently went from an X-52 stick to an X-56. My MiG-29 flies a lot better....Also I run 10% curvature and a dead zone of 2. Make sure your stick is properly setup and calibrated before even starting DCS.

As far as the "twitchy" thing goes, you can trim her out just fine. The MiG-29 does not have an FBW system like modern fighters. It's a hybrid. And its unstable. So you have to always fly her. Having said that I can trim her hands off no problem with the new stick.

If you are bouncing you are landing with too much vertical rate. Try to keep her below 10 degs nose up and about 5 or so meters per second. She can make some really nice landings.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #76
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle View Post
The MiG-29 does not have an FBW system like modern fighters. It's a hybrid. And its unstable.
Without FBW it can't be unstable, not even relaxed stability. It's a 'classic' stable design. She's simply very responsive.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #77
mkiii

The upward force of the bounce is far more excessive than the force imparted by a slightly heavy landing. If the thing is landing that heavily then something will give - it won't bounce 50 feet into the air & do a half forward roll imho. In my case, the problem is not the stick or the curves - it's the setup of the aircraft. I'm not fussed enough to waste time on it any more - there are plenty of modules that work as intended.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #78
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
The upward force of the bounce is far more excessive than the force imparted by a slightly heavy landing. If the thing is landing that heavily then something will give - it won't bounce 50 feet into the air & do a half forward roll imho. In my case, the problem is not the stick or the curves - it's the setup of the aircraft. I'm not fussed enough to waste time on it any more - there are plenty of modules that work as intended.
The front wheel bounce is ridiculously strong. They never fixed that and not many are willing to acknowledge this. It's also hard to get SME opinion on this because no sane pilot would ever done that IRL. So you're more likely to get responses teaching you how to land properly than admitting the bug.

It's a study sim and it should simulate also the stupidest things the virtual pilot does to the aircraft. This I can back up. But if you're saying this just to whine and still refuse to learn how to land the Fulcrum properly I will not back you up, sorry.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #79
DST

I had lots of troubles with that bouncing issue too, I find this also extremly annoying, I highly doubt that this is realistic behaviour, as no other module is that extreme.

The effect of a heavy landing has to be a broken gear, or bursted tires but not doing the cobra manouver like the Mig29 in this case always does.
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #80
bbrz

Here's a very short pattern, didn't have any time for practise. Just to show that she's not too difficult to land smoothly.
Attached Files
File Type: trk 29_pattern.trk (79.1 KB, 12 views)