Printed manual progress

Caspet

Printed manual progress  

500 members have voted

1. 1. Printed manual progress

Yep I know that ;) But a kindle version it is not.

It would need to be formatted for Kindle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my friend was showing me iBook and Kindle on his iPad and telling me how it can read PDFs and I was all excited to be able to flip through the manual like that.

How disappointing to see PDFs rendered in those programs. :(

The root of the kindle issue is time/value. To format a word document into a decent pdf takes a certain amount of time. It would probably take a similar amount of time to format it, differently, for kindle (it's not hard, just different).

Everyone who buys a DCS product has access to a PDF viewer, at no cost. What percentage of DCS customers have kindles...

It doesn't matter because, it is less than ALL of them, probably significantly less.

Yes, I would love to see a kindle version, I have the tools and necessary information to make it myself, am I going to...Nope. Then benefit would not balance the time expended. I would be more likely to buy a tablet computer (I did not say Ipad) first.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well I am in the process of giving it a go anyhoo. If I succeed then I will share. I have done some Kindle formatting before so I don't think this should take too long.....famous last words.

How disappointing to see PDFs rendered in those programs. sad.gif

The Kindle doesn't have the resolution or any colour but I don't believe that will affect the manual too much (might need a few work arounds).

Edited by Fleshpiston

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

Yes, I would love to see a kindle version, I have the tools and necessary information to make it myself, am I going to...Nope. Then benefit would not balance the time expended. I would be more likely to buy a tablet computer (I did not say Ipad) first.

Its always CBR... Where would the world be today if all the things were done in relation to CBR (cost to benefit ratio)... In deep "front of the cave" mud... :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Well I am in the process of giving it a go anyhoo. If I succeed then I will share. I have done some Kindle formatting before so I don't think this should take too long.....famous last words.

The Kindle doesn't have the resolution or any colour but I don't believe that will affect the manual too much (might need a few work arounds).

Keep in mind that the manual you are working with still contains numerous errors and when it is updated you will likely have no easy way of determining what has been changed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Keep in mind that the manual you are working with still contains numerous errors and when it is updated you will likely have no easy way of determining what has been changed.

True. But if I get cracking now and get a flow on when the final is out it should make the process easier ;)

EDIT: Good news! Just connected the Kindle to the PC via USB and did a straight forward copy to the documents on the Kindle. Formatting is spot on and no format changes are needed all is correct. Noice! This is where I do the zOMGing its amazing...... or I could just say I am pleased it worked ;)

I will also take back what I said about the resolution on the Kindle because it seems even though it is not colour the pictures look very detailed and still high quality in greyscale.

Edited by Fleshpiston

Which model Kindle are you using, DX?

Nope normal gen3.

DX has a bigger screen and would lend itself better to this type of application though.

Cool, I imagined the pictures would have been not very useful at that size. I have a two year old little one myself. The contrast is much better on yours from what I have seen. My extended warranty just ran out and I was hoping it would break and I would end up with an upgrade but no such luck.

Where is the download :smilewink: I want a kindle copy for my Eee Tablet :thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Hey guys, I have found a place to get the A-10C manual for dirt cheap. There is a place called Lulu that does publishing of books. If you don't mind a black and white book (which I can tell you from first hand experience, black and white images are not that bad [they use greyscale]) then you can get this book for 9$.

To receive it for 9$ make sure to check your email once you've made your account. They will give you a coupon for 25$ off (the book is 23$ before shipping). You will only pay for shipping.

I DO NOT RECEIVE PROFIT FOR THIS. All fee's are for printing fee's.

If you purchase it for 9$, you're only paying for shipping. Don't complain please.

Here is the link for it (Black and White).

Looks great but I think I see an issue. This picture is of the description of the document from the site. I am curious about how this manual is considerred public domain. Also note the publication date? If ED is cool with this then...it is not a bad deal.

pub_domain.jpg

EDIT: After a moments thought I am reminded that perfect binding that large a document means that if it was not done very, very well pages will start to come loose fairly quickly.

Edited by cichlidfan

Regarding the whole Public Domain thing, I've passed the question to Matt. It does sound a bit wonky and depending on what they are doing they may be crossing the line from being a one-off shop for individual users to actually becoming a sort of publisher, in which case I personally think that they're doing is illegal and a copyright infringement. I'm unsure about the specifics here though so I can't say for sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Assuming there are no legal issues, I would still want to confirm which version of the manual was used for a master. Just because it was recently produced does not mean it was made from the most recent revision.

At that price, it might be hard to pass up.

I'm not sure if you can do it, but I did it for you. :)

EDIT: I would note, though, that "I-pading" it sort of forgets all other tablets out there. There's more than Apple. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I don't know of any device that does not have an included PDF reader, so the only thing you need kindle for is... kindle... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Another thought to add, I believe kindle has a free app for most devices nowadays so that might make for a good candidate.

It is also a very limited capability app, beyond just being limited to the kindle format. They have pretty much made a viewer only IIRC. Cut and paste did not even work the last time I tried it.

At least on my kindle, if I really want to print something I can do it with fewer hoops to jump through than with the kindle app on my pc.

Edited by cichlidfan

Regarding the whole Public Domain thing, I've passed the question to Matt. It does sound a bit wonky and depending on what they are doing they may be crossing the line from being a one-off shop for individual users to actually becoming a sort of publisher, in which case I personally think that they're doing is illegal and a copyright infringement. I'm unsure about the specifics here though so I can't say for sure.

That's fine. I have my version which is all I need, but here is the problem. ED currently has no Copyright labeled on that PDF, and they have not published the book. So while going and making sure this is a legal is fine, until they start publishing their work...it's not like I'm cutting into their profit.

Anyway, ED could talk to Lulu about selling copies. Since they are the producers they can make profit via Lulu.

I'm not sure if you can do it, but I did it for you. :)

EDIT: I would note, though, that "I-pading" it sort of forgets all other tablets out there. There's more than Apple. ;)

Cheers EtherealN :beer:

(Add other tablets if you like)

ps any chance of making this a sticky?

Edited by Caspet
Add others

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Muhammad Ali-(Cassius Clay)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]