Air Refueling - Any tips?

Madman777

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always considered myself a slacker in this area.

I avoided refueling for fear of failure and frustration.

I could never refuel in F4, Flanker, FC, F/A 18 or any other...

An hour ago. By complete accident, I screwed something up in the cockpit and speed and altitude froze on my HUD --stuck at 167 indicated...

I was on my way to tanker and said, what the hell.

Best thing I ever did.

I paid close attention to the sound of the engine. Stopped "playing the digits" to the left and right of the HUD and focused on ever-so-slight adjustments with Velocity Vector and focused on the sound of the engine to indicate speed.

Once connected, I just breathed and focused on the velocity vector.

It took a few times, but finally got the word that I was full.

Best flight I've ever had in a Sim.

My advice: experiment with adjusting the slider on your throttle

Breathe while you're connected. Just focus...

--But, above all, don't give up. You'll surprise yourself.

If I can do this, anyone can.

~Moosh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

You should be focusing on the tanker, not the TVV. Try shutting offyour HUD completely and then refueling :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I discovered a cheat - if you rub his fat belly, he will give you more gas :D

Or if you try to sit on his wing :)

ScreenShot_004.thumb.jpg.70d8d436612cbb4e86463e04d76bb8cd.jpg

ScreenShot_003.thumb.jpg.16fb1788ecd45baf62153df4005a35fe.jpg

ScreenShot_002.thumb.jpg.f257571b87e27c8068d9d62eb20235df.jpg

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As others have said, properly trimming the aircraft before pre-contact and practise are the two main tips i can think of. It does take a long time to master.

Oli 'Scarecrow' Lusk

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.20Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA Geforce GTX 680 4GB

Speaking of trim: I have a Cougar HOTAS and the trim keys are mapped to the H1 Hat. For the love of me I cannot get the thing trimmed perfect. It's either to high or to low by just enough to mess things up.

Any hints on trim?

perfect trim is not reachable....

Also when you change speed..the speed itself becomes a factor.

So what I do is: make an ok trim and fly from there and compensate for it.

(edit) have at least 10 hours of flight time before you attempt refuelling, by that time you should be comfortable with the plane and how it moves. Il2 is a very good teacher on flying :)

Edited by macedk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find it helps to trim nose down and keep back pressure on the stick. That's just my personal preference though, fly like that nearly all the time especially in formation flights.

Even if I connect while being steady as a rock the guy still calls 'Disconnect'. It appears that I am still taking fuel though and still getting the 'Latched' message on the right side of the HUD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

I find it helps to trim nose down and keep back pressure on the stick. That's just my personal preference though, fly like that nearly all the time especially in formation flights.

Even if I connect while being steady as a rock the guy still calls 'Disconnect'. It appears that I am still taking fuel though and still getting the 'Latched' message on the right side of the HUD.

Sometimes the audio is out of sync with the action.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sometimes the audio is out of sync with the action.

Thanks, helps to know I'm not doing something wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

You should be focusing on the tanker, not the TVV. Try shutting offyour HUD completely and then refueling :)

Absolutely!!! The best tip I would give anyone struggling with refueling, and the one thing that would have saved me a lot of frustration and loud swearing, had I done it sooner!

It does take a LOT of practice to be able to refuel, as in real life, but I still feel that the tanker AI/boom operator AI still needs a lot of work!

Edited by Ptroinks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Absolutely!!! The best tip I would give anyone struggling with refueling, and the one thing that would have saved me a lot of frustration and loud swearing, had I done it sooner!

It does take a LOT of practice to be able to refuel, as in real life, but I still feel that the tanker AI/boom operator AI still needs a lot of work!

I agree 100% with the boom dude needing work! Take a look at some real life vids on YouTube of A10s refueling.

Hey, that sounds like one of my hook-ups!! :thumbup:

zeke, you wouldnt happen to be the "oldzeke" from ww2 online would ya?

I have not tried air refueling with a10 yet, but it was extremely difficult in falcon as well. Very small inputs.

I agree 100% with the boom dude needing work! Take a look at some real life vids on YouTube of A10s refueling.

Heres a good one i think

wait heres better one.. Second guy sets off flares :)

Edited by bloomstomb

• 4 weeks later...
Heres a good one i think

wait heres better one.. Second guy sets off flares :)

In my humble opinion the boom operator AI requires work! In the sim, we are looking at a Monitor (TV screen). As sim pilots we do not have the spacial awareness of the RW jet and therefore I suggest some increased input from the AI boom operator!

Several times when I approach the tanker and am holding position, the boom operator has fallen asleep. Boom does not move at all?

Its kinda like I would like to even up the difference between sim world and real world. I do not mean "make it easy", just give the boom operator an "excellent" AI rating, instead of :sleep:

Just a thought.

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky