otkazal. garoy. generatar.. otkazal. erwey. generatar..

what is happening? I am reaching my cruising altitude and everything is fine to 225 km/h skorost but then as I trim for 250 km/h skorost, suddenly two lights appear and the left engine spools down to zero, so I lose power and my a/p panel is dark.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

sounds like the generators dropped off line. does the EKRAN say gen. 1 , gen. 2 failure? the autopilot turning off is a symptom of that also. when it happens, lower the collective some and the generators should come back online, then reset the autopilot.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is your load, FAT and what is your altitude (barometric).

An engine spooling down is odd but I have had this in the Kamov in an attack hover hot (40 degs) and high with a massive load of pain. The engine ran hot and spooled down until I got moving again and cooled the engines.

Any problems taking off? Running take off or hover?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

To make what Andy pointed out more clear - your rotor RPM dropped below 90-ish % and that disengaged both generators. Flying too high with too much load I presume...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You are losing your generators because your main rotor RPM dipped below 81%?

The electrical generators are linked to the main rotor on the Mi-8. This is usually because you have the collective too high.

Read up on max-, cruise- and climb-speeds, max altitudes and max carrying load as these are usually the cause of overloading the main rotor.

Or it could be that you're descending fast by dropping the collective, then pulling it up too fast to arrest the descent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was carrying 2 FAB 250, 2 rocket pods, 2 UPK gun pods, full fuel. My cruising altitude was 2600 meters ( I was traversing from Vaziani to Batumi on the rocks in between). I got the occasional oglidenenye (icing) VMU. The cruising speed increased from 225 km/h to 250 km/h by collective increase with trim cyclic forward to expedite time and maintain altitude. All of a sudden the gens went offline. As I dropped a little bit, the gens came back online. I dont know how to check FAT (is there a meat therm in the cockpit?) Are said charts in the official manual?

Weapons employed and pods discarded long before this happened, accompanied by increased VVI and correction to retain initial altitude, then expedited speeding.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Optimal cruise is 200km/h IAS. Pushing 250km/h with a load that heavy (and with de-icing on?) is no wonder you got generator failure... ;)

There's a list of capabilities in the beginning of the manual (max speeds etc).

The thermometer is just under the weapons selector box, front right of the navigator (right seat).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, first thing to check is that the engines are running within the limits specified on pg. 236 of the manual. Make sure you give the engines time to spool up when pulling collective, or you could experience loss of generators when Nr (rotor RPM) droops below around 86%. Also be sure that you manually activate the left engine anti-icing if the РИ-65 gives an icing warning (also indicated with a flashing red 'ОБЛЕДЕН' annunciator under the anti-ice control panel)(activating left engine anti-ice immediately isn't realistic procedure, but AFAIK there is no downside to doing this with our model). As a side note, don't forget to switch on pitot heat as well; I find it's usually best to activate pitot heat as part of startup unless you're certain the entire flight will take place outside of icing conditions. As stated, the OAT gauge is mounted on the windshield underneath the copilot's weapon/bomb/payload control panel, illustrated on pg. 64 of the manual.

If you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the Russian РИ-65 messages, you can switch to English by going to Options > Gameplay > Avionics Language. If it's helpful, here's a table containing the transcripted warnings in Russian (РУ), my best attempt at a somewhat-phonetic transliteration (TR), and the English translation (EN). Note I do not speak Russian, so the transliterations are probably quite a bit off.

[TABLE]

РУССКИЙ

|

TRANSLITERATION

|

ENGLISH

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ЛЕВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE LYEVAGA DVIGATELYA|FIRE LEFT ENGINE

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ПРАВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE PRAVAGA DVIGATELYA|FIRE RIGHT ENGINE

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ГЛАВНОГО РЕДУКТОРА|POZHAR V OTSEKE GLAVNAGA REDUKTARA|FIRE MAIN TRANSMISSION

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE OBOGREVATILYA|FIRE KO-50

ОБЛЕДЕНЕНИЕ|OBLIDINENIYE|ICING

ОТКАЗАЛИ НАСОСЫ ОСНОВНЫХ ТОПЛИВНЫХ БАКОВ|OTKAZALI NASOSY OSNOVNYKH TOPLIVNYKH BAKOV|MAIN FUEL TANK PUMP FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ НАСОС РАСХОДНОГО БАКА|OTKAZAL NASOS RASKODNAGA BAKA|SERVICE FUEL TANK PUMP FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛА ОСНОВНАЯ ГИДРОСИСТЕМА|OTKAZALA OSNOVNAYA GIDROSISTEMA|MAIN HYDRAULICS FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ ПЕРВЫЙ ГЕНЕРАТОР|OTKAZAL PERVYY GINIRATOR|FIRST GENERATOR FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ ВТОРОЙ ГЕНЕРАТОР|OTKAZAL VTOROY GINIRATOR|SECOND GENERATOR FAILURE

ВЫКЛЮЧИТЬ ЛЕВЫЙ ДВИГАТЕЛЬ|VYKLUCHIT' LYEVYY DVIGATEL'|TURN OFF LEFT ENGINE

ВЫКЛЮЧИТЬ ПРАВЫЙ ДВИГАТЕЛЬ|VYKLUCHIT' PRAVYY DVIGATEL'|TURN OFF RIGHT ENGINE

ОПАСНАЯ ВИБРАЦИЯ ЛЕВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|OPASNAYA VIBRATSIYA LYEVAGA DVIGATELYA|LEFT ENGINE VIBRATION

ОПАСНАЯ ВИБРАЦИЯ ПРАВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|OPASNAYA VIBRATSIYA PRAVAGA DVIGATELYA|RIGHT ENGINE VIBRATION

НЕИСПРАВНОСТЬ РЕДУКТОРА|NIISPRAVNOST' REDUKTORA|TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION

АВАРИЙНЫЙ ОСТАТОК ТОПЛИВА|AVARIINYY OSTATOK TOPLIVA|EMERGENCY FUEL REMAINING

БЛОК РИ-65 ИСПРАВЕН|BLOK RI-SHIZDISYAT-PYAT' ISPRAVEN|RI-65 WORKING[/TABLE]

Edited by NOALB

Does N1 trying to shake N2 needle underneath it means that I'm approaching said limits? How about EPR gauge? I noticed today on the same flight but with less fuel that I did not suffer these failures. I was again crossing from Vaziani UG27 to Batumi UGSB and my cruising altitude was 12000 feet and somehow as I was leveling off, the engine needles started to spread. I lowered collective and trimmed cyclic level with reduced airspeed until both needles topped eachother again. The red chevrons on the EPR were touched by the left yellow chevron halfway top from the bottom. Also I think there was a mismatch between oil temperatures.

I landed with the 270 liter light on and opened rearm menu to find my fuel is 1%. Average speed was 200-225 km/h.

Rough engine operation indicated by shaking needles is a dead giveaway of engine icing problems, which is "normal" for flying with anti-ice off at about 4 kms even on spring/autumn maps (why do you fly that high anyway? It's a crazy altitude for this helicopter with any load aboard). Make sure that all engine-related anti-icing systems are on, though they will cause quite a bit of power loss, making rotor RPM drop even more plausible, so be careful.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

dcs-mi-8mtv2-magnificent-eight-screenshot-010-cockpit.jpg

See that rectangular gauge to the left of the engine RPM gauge, below the blade pitch angle indicator? That's the most important gauge to check for loading the main rotor. The three red tabs on it are C, H and O, C for max cruise load, H for hover, meaning short time loading of the main rotor and O is the overload indicator.

Before you take off, do a hover check and see how much load you put on the disc using this gauge. If you are above the H, land and reduce weight. If you are below or on H, no problem. You'll loose weight by burning fuel

If it's a short hop to the first high landing site, dive into the manual and calculate your max take-off weight at the highest peak of your trip and plan accordingly. Chuck's guide should have a good calculation method available IIRC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Yes, first thing to check is that the engines are running within the limits specified on pg. 236 of the manual. Make sure you give the engines time to spool up when pulling collective, or you could experience loss of generators when Nr (rotor RPM) droops below around 86%. Also be sure that you manually activate the left engine anti-icing if the РИ-65 gives an icing warning (also indicated with a flashing red 'ОБЛЕДЕН' annunciator under the anti-ice control panel)(activating left engine anti-ice immediately isn't realistic procedure, but AFAIK there is no downside to doing this with our model). As a side note, don't forget to switch on pitot heat as well; I find it's usually best to activate pitot heat as part of startup unless you're certain the entire flight will take place outside of icing conditions. As stated, the OAT gauge is mounted on the windshield underneath the copilot's weapon/bomb/payload control panel, illustrated on pg. 64 of the manual.

If you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the Russian РИ-65 messages, you can switch to English by going to Options > Gameplay > Avionics Language. If it's helpful, here's a table containing the transcripted warnings in Russian (РУ), my best attempt at a somewhat-phonetic transliteration (TR), and the English translation (EN). Note I do not speak Russian, so the transliterations are probably quite a bit off.

[TABLE]

РУССКИЙ

|

TRANSLITERATION

|

ENGLISH

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ЛЕВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE LYEVAGA DVIGATELYA|FIRE LEFT ENGINE

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ПРАВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE PRAVAGA DVIGATELYA|FIRE RIGHT ENGINE

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ГЛАВНОГО РЕДУКТОРА|POZHAR V OTSEKE GLAVNAGA REDUKTARA|FIRE MAIN TRANSMISSION

ПОЖАР В ОТСЕКЕ ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЯ|POZHAR V OTSEKE OBOGREVATILYA|FIRE KO-50

ОБЛЕДЕНЕНИЕ|OBLIDINENIYE|ICING

ОТКАЗАЛИ НАСОСЫ ОСНОВНЫХ ТОПЛИВНЫХ БАКОВ|OTKAZALI NASOSY OSNOVNYKH TOPLIVNYKH BAKOV|MAIN FUEL TANK PUMP FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ НАСОС РАСХОДНОГО БАКА|OTKAZAL NASOS RASKODNAGA BAKA|SERVICE FUEL TANK PUMP FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛА ОСНОВНАЯ ГИДРОСИСТЕМА|OTKAZALA OSNOVNAYA GIDROSISTEMA|MAIN HYDRAULICS FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ ПЕРВЫЙ ГЕНЕРАТОР|OTKAZAL PERVYY GINIRATOR|FIRST GENERATOR FAILURE

ОТКАЗАЛ ВТОРОЙ ГЕНЕРАТОР|OTKAZAL VTOROY GINIRATOR|SECOND GENERATOR FAILURE

ВЫКЛЮЧИТЬ ЛЕВЫЙ ДВИГАТЕЛЬ|VYKLUCHIT' LYEVYY DVIGATEL'|TURN OFF LEFT ENGINE

ВЫКЛЮЧИТЬ ПРАВЫЙ ДВИГАТЕЛЬ|VYKLUCHIT' PRAVYY DVIGATEL'|TURN OFF RIGHT ENGINE

ОПАСНАЯ ВИБРАЦИЯ ЛЕВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|OPASNAYA VIBRATSIYA LYEVAGA DVIGATELYA|LEFT ENGINE VIBRATION

ОПАСНАЯ ВИБРАЦИЯ ПРАВОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ|OPASNAYA VIBRATSIYA PRAVAGA DVIGATELYA|RIGHT ENGINE VIBRATION

НЕИСПРАВНОСТЬ РЕДУКТОРА|NIISPRAVNOST' REDUKTORA|TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION

АВАРИЙНЫЙ ОСТАТОК ТОПЛИВА|AVARIINYY OSTATOK TOPLIVA|EMERGENCY FUEL REMAINING

БЛОК РИ-65 ИСПРАВЕН|BLOK RI-SHIZDISYAT-PYAT' ISPRAVEN|RI-65 WORKING[/TABLE]

Yup.

Generally once the anti ice warning is announced, I go manual and switch it all on...... including and often forgot Pitot tubes on the right co pilot panel (I had a real nightmare with these once).

Ease off the max velocity and concentrate on height clearance and well being.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

See that rectangular gauge to the left of the engine RPM gauge, below the blade pitch angle indicator? That's the most important gauge to check for loading the main rotor. The three red tabs on it are C, H and O, C for max cruise load, H for hover, meaning short time loading of the main rotor and O is the overload indicator.

Before you take off, do a hover check and see how much load you put on the disc using this gauge. If you are above the H, land and reduce weight. If you are below or on H, no problem. You'll loose weight by burning fuel

Sorry, but I really don't think this is correct.

In your screenshot, the EPR indicator is marked with Cyrillic 'О', 'Н', and 'К', as in the standard Russian pit. These stand for "Ограниченный (взлет)" [Ogranichennyy vzlet] - Limited/Takeoff Power, "Номинальный (режим)" [Nominal'nyy rezhim] - Nominal/Maximum Continuous Power, and "Крейсерский (режим)" [Kreyserskii rezhim] - Cruising Power, respectively. In the English version provided by BST the EPR is labelled 'T', 'M', and 'C', presumably meaning Takeoff, Maximum (limited cruise), and Cruise.

The limits of these power regimes are (in minutes): 6 Takeoff, 60 Max Continuous, and ∞ Cruise. Being between the 'О' and 'Н' on hover check is fine as long as that power isn't maintained past the specified 6min time limit. Above 2500m or 24°C, the EPR loses accuracy and the charts or N1/charts must be consulted to determine power settings.

By the way, the dual engine tach needles both indicate N1 for their respective engines; there's no exact indication of N2 and it isn't something you really need to worry about anyway. The EPR is indeed the quickest way to determine your power setting, and the Rotor RPM Nr, Engine RPM N1, and PTIT gauges should be periodically scanned to ensure you're staying within limits; in general, stay between 93-97% Nr and below 910°C PTIT. Can't really give a good rule of thumb for N1, but you kind of get a feel for it.

Edited by NOALB

this should be plastered in gold! thanks