Aimless Assumption: WWII Pacific from Leatherneck is Next

Zakatak

Vella lavela is not in your area :P, a shame !

I was just highlighting an area Nick touched on. The Pacific is a Big Place. Lots of possible maps/Battles to be simulated. Just slide that red box over a little bit. :music_whistling: I refined the Red Box so as to include Both Guadalcanal, and Vella Levella, without cutting through the middle of any other Islands.

X-Plane has a great Vella Levela scenery, but not so great Combat ops. It would be nice to see more cross-platform Developer cooperative efforts. It could save a lot of development time with object creation and such.

2099890304_VellaLevella.thumb.jpg.431356ce55d5c598b00222a58078e62a.jpg

Edited by Woogey

And what about Hawaii, i mean it could be a good place! With a lots of airport for the red and blue team, mountain, valley, road and small city. This way you can accomodate people whitout carrier base aircraft!

And finally Pearl Arbour..:D

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

That one would be nice, with Bougainville and Rabaul :smilewink:

I was putting in in the context of a map the Size of NTTR. This thread could go on forever turning into a wishlist as usual. I think it has moved beyond the original thought of "What would a developer realistically try to achieve as balanced map," all things considered.

I was putting in in the context of a map the Size of NTTR. This thread could go on forever turning into a wishlist as usual. I think it has moved beyond the original thought of "What would a developer realistically try to achieve as balanced map," all things considered.

Yes, i agree with you. :)

Just that, as i understood, there will be no limits of map size in Edge, and that map has a lot of water... and jungle. I was thinking it reduces work for a larger area, allowing more historical missions don't you think ?

Edited by Lib

Yes, i agree with you. :)

Just that, as i understood, there will be no limits of map size in Edge, and that map has a lot of water... and jungle. I was thinking it reduces work for a larger area, allowing more historical missions don't you think ?

I do agree. I want the entire world. What I really want is the FSX Terrain rendering system, in DCS. Of course that is not reality.

The map size really boils down to time and detail. As a developer, how much detail do you want to add, and when is enough enough? A primary criteria would be the Aircraft that are going to be used in said map. What is the average combat radius? What is the average cruise speed? These factor into how long your missions will last. Is it realistic to spend 4-5 hours on you computer regularly, and still stay married? If I were producing a map, I would bring the Team together for a brainstorming session to clearly define the goals of the project. After it was all said and done. I would draft a set of project guidelines, that determined roles and responsibilities of each artist, and a check list to determine completion ratios. Once all artwork asset goals were met, It would have to go into the testing phase where more than likely, detail would have to be taken out until it reached the performance requirements set forth in the initial brainstorming session.

One aspect that I personally would require, is that standard scripts and trigger Zones be included with the basic scenery to bring it to life. There is nothing worse than a sterile map.

One day I hope to attain the skills necessary to call myself an artist. Until then, I am a Researcher/Enthusiast/Historian/Producer :pilotfly: Vroom -Woog

Edited by Woogey

And what about Hawaii, i mean it could be a good place! With a lots of airport for the red and blue team, mountain, valley, road and small city. This way you can accomodate people whitout carrier base aircraft!

And finally Pearl Arbour..:D

Pearl Harbor would be nice but highly unlikely, most battles took place in central pacific an (closer Austrailia) an closer to Japan as the war went on. A Solomons islands, Phillipines,Okinawa,Iwo Jima would be more likely. Just my 2 cents.:pilotfly: be nice to see some WW2 battleships for more targets though carries pretty much carried the fight after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Midway would be nice but so isolated, if I had to bet I'd say the Philipine Islands(sea).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBattle_of_the_Philippine_Sea&ei=TxcNVbiPAonBgwSb4IPIAg&bvm=bv.88528373,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNFaZ9rmZ4Uu0mCeF-5qlzVVVOyBOA&ust=1427007698138448

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Philippine_Sea_location.jpg

Edited by Call911

Hawaii is much too populated. It would be a hell of a scenery to create. Cities, Structures, Many Airports, and a Huge Naval base. Not to mention, too many critics. There are a lot of features, that no one will agree on.

Is it do-able? Yes.

Is it a likely candidate? No.

• 2 months later...
As someone on Reddit pointed out, I was wrong about that being an F6F on the Contact page. It's a Wildcat, and the inlet on top identifies it as an F4F-4, which first appeared at Midway, which tells us it won't be before that point. More USN goodies!

We're getting a Wildcat too? If I'm right, hopefully another IJN plane is made since it looks like we're going to have quite a USN bias. Having a flyable P-40/F4F along with whatever LN plans to make for the USN versus just one Japanese plane which I presume is a Zero. The Ki-84 was popular and excellent overall, I think it would be a great choice.

The Ki-84 would be the perfect addition, it will easily be competitive with all DCS 1944 aircraft.

The problem is, there is only one flight worthy Ki-84 and I don't think it's been flown since the 70s. (I'm not sure if leatherneck has as strict rules as ED in regards to needing to meet someone who's flown it and needing the manual etc)

However, a Ki-43 still flies today and I think would become widely popular, if you watch old footage of that thing, it makes even the zero look a bit sluggish with it's insane roll rate.

An A6M5 also flies still, but that is a late war zero model, and wouldn't make sense to fight against a wildcat.

• 3 weeks later...
So how long has Cobra been rocking that Black Sheep avatar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMA-214

Revell%20H-580%20BaBaaNP.JPG

man, that brings back memories. I built the model. Plus watching that show when it first came out. I was glued to anything that was WWII aircraft related. Love the Whistling Death in particular though! good stuff! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control