Flight Controls

So what you are saying is that the rotor RPM can be set as required between 89 and 99%.

And it is not recommend to adjust this setting unless the helicopter is either in a hover or straight and level flight.

Correct?

Periodically, the engine speed re-adjustment mechanism is tested. During this test (with the aircraft running) the adjustment range is tested. The manual specifies that the bottom value for the test is 91% rotor RPM, plus or minus 2% (hence 89-93%). At the top end, the value is 97%, with a plus 2% or minus 1% variation (hence 96-99%).

Before flight, the rotor is brought to 3 degrees of pitch with the collective, and the rotor RPM is verified to be at 95%. If it's not, this switch is used to make it 95%. I have never seen any information in an Mi-8 manual that says it's okay for the pilot to choose another rotor RPM setting, and I can't really see any value in it, either.

Hello AlphaOneSix,

Great topic, I would like to know if it's possible to found the same book where you show us these photos ?

Is it possible to bought this book ?

The pictures come from training software. I've been using screenshots. Many of the pictures (not in color) also appear in the maintenance manuals, although they are not labelled as clearly as they are in the software program.

Ok, good info.

About custom RPM setting, it can be useful and is even needed in some occasion's.

S61, guys i worked whit ran the rotor RPM at 102% instead of the normal 100%.

This apparently straightened the blades out more, and reduced wear and tear on various parts of the rotor.

(believe this was tried out by KLM helicopters and later approved by Sikorsky)

EC155 B1, this helicopter has an RPM selector switch.

HI, for hover, take-off and landing

Norm, for normal flight.

Not sure what the exact requirements are to use either setting.

AW139, also has an RPM switch.

100% or 102% can be selected.

Apparently 102% must be used for "CAT A" take offs and landings.

ass well as some other uses.

(AW139 can fly the entire flight on 102% i believe)

So yeah, there are benefits to selecting different RPM's, though i'm also not quite sure what the exact reasons are.

Ill see if i can find it in my training manuals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

The pictures come from training software. I've been using screenshots. Many of the pictures (not in color) also appear in the maintenance manuals, although they are not labelled as clearly as they are in the software program.

Hello,

I would like to thanks for your explanation, new it's clear...

Best regards. Skull

• 1 month later...

Thought I would chime in on the ease of maintanance on Western Helos compared to Russian. I agree with previous posters, I was a MOS Q'd mechanic on three U.S. army airframes (Ch 47, Ah 64, UH 60, some experience with OH 58) and despite manufacture claims they all could be total hell to work on. Some tasks easier than others, but they all have quirks. I think it's just inherent to helicopters to just be a pain in the ass of a grease monkey ;)

• 1 year later...

Whoa The coolest thread on here :-)

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Do you have any more technical drawings, cutaways, technical photos etc you can share with us please? I'm addicted to this kind of information.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Here are the other two threads I did before I gave up due to time constraints...

Airframe

Rotor System

Wonderful. Thanks Fella :book::thumbup:

• 6 years later...
On 7/27/2013 at 4:57 AM, AlphaOneSix said:

... The pictures come from training software. I've been using screenshots. Many of the pictures (not in color) also appear in the maintenance manuals, although they are not labelled as clearly as they are in the software program.

I realize that this is a very old thread, but its a real treasure chest of good info on the Mi-8 ... @AlphaOneSix, by any chance do you still have somewhere the pictures that illustrated this thread? 🙏

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I realize that this is a very old thread, but its a real treasure chest of good info on the Mi-8 ... @AlphaOneSix, by any chance do you still have somewhere the pictures that illustrated this thread? 🙏

I updated the links so the images work now. Thanks for letting me know.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AlphaOneSix said:

I updated the links so the images work now. Thanks for letting me know.

you are so kind, thanks a lot .. I found this thread while looking for the proper way to check the SPUU-52 system, as the instructions on both the DCS manual and on the manual of the real Mi-17, were not entirely clear 🙂 ... but I found so much more info, I enjoy learning aircrafts in detail, so this thread was like heaven to me. Best regards,

Eduardo

Edit: I compiled all of your information on a single document, for easier reference, thank you, I learned a lot 👍

Mi-8 Flight Controls (by @AlphaOneSix).pdf

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB