Flight Plans

Sierra99

Soooooo...

The Manual states:

The CDU can store 20 flight plans with up to 40 waypoints each. A flight plan is automatically created in the mission editor or in the CDU.

My question is...Is it possible to create and store multiple flight plans prior to a mission either by using the mission editor or by editing the LUA file? It be nice to be able to set up a Nellis Map with pre-configured flight plans to various target groups.

Perhaps by using prepare mission function...but where do the flight plans reside once created? (Mission.lua?)

Sierra 99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm gonna play with this tomorrow and see what I can accomplish.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Is this the functionality that you desire, basically?

http://aviationandaccessories.tpub.com/TM-1-1510-225-10/css/TM-1-1510-225-10_403.htm

If yes, I would like that too - Implementing data cartridge loading flight data.

Basically, flight paths are recorded somwhere in the mission file. Now, all we need is a way to extract them as loadable data.

You know how, when you make custom payload in ME, it appears in rearm screen - specific for any playable aircraft? Same functionality applied, basically. You DO load flight data on your mission start in A10C from a mission file. Now, all we need is a little addition to mission editor where you could save flight paths that could be loaded later on from any mission, just like custom payloads. Functionality is there, I believe, we just need that part programmed where user can manipulate the data (save it from ME, load it from CDU or at least add load function as a window in-game, like refuel/rearm window is). There are some issues to apply this whole thing even I can see, but I believe it is a piece of cake for ED programmers.

Edited by Pitot

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

Not sure if it is doable... perhaps through the "prepare mission" option, but I have never tried it. Please let us know how it works though, might be very useful for future.

I tried some time back and it didn't work for a second flight plan at least. Would be nice if that had changed.

Cheers

Hans

OK...

I did some experimenting today using a Test Mission with the 476th mission data and way points. I used "Prepare Mission" to get in the plane and created 3 unique flight plans in addition to the flight plan loaded by the ME. I exited mission, saved it with a new name then unpacked the .rar file into a folder on my desktop.

1.) I located the "Flight Plan" data in the settings.lua file in the "CDU" folder. (Had to experiment with exactly what lines need to be copied)

2.) I copied the data of 1 flight plan and pasted it below the original.

3.) I changed the "Number" and a "waypoint"

4.) I saved the settings.lua and then copied it back into the original RAR file.

5.) Opened mission and checked the CDU and found the NEW mission and found the waypoint number I changed had actually worked.

I have not verified the changes will work with a cold start aircraft, only "a takeoff from ramp started " That comes tonight.

So in theory, this works. Now the question is, would it be easier to modify the .lua file at once and copy it into the .rar or simply use prepare mission to load what flight plans I want then copy the settings.lua between missions?

Thoughts, Comments, notes?

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Well, thought:

While user initiative and creativity are great, we need this properly implemented as a built in feature. But, honestly, as long as I consider this to be a must-have, I believe that the issue can easily be considered as a "polishing the sim" and should/will not be addressed before the 2.5. But I am cheering for this to be properly implemented.

BTW Kudos for efforts :)

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

• 2 years later...
I used "Prepare Mission" to get in the plane and created 3 unique flight plans in addition to the flight plan loaded by the ME. [...]

Excellent write-up! :thumbup:

I did this to add some pre-defined range borders as flight plans for our squadron, and it works like a charm.

Some caveats I came across:

When using prepare mission, the ME tends to store additional information about the aircraft's current position, about the first waypoint, a list of predefined IPs, and some other stuff, in CDU\SETTINGS.lua.

I manually set all of these back to what I think are the defaults, or removed them entirely, so that aircraft in other spawn locations don't start with positional errors.

I also removed a whole bunch of folders from the mission file (DSMS, IFFCC, MFCD, SADL, TAD, TGP) to make sure these don't overwrite anything.

Works like a charm. Finally no more entering the same flight plans over and over again for squadron training. :)