Pledge options for payable aircrafts

Havner

I don't fully understand the idea behind pledge options.

It's said that the 3 main aircrafts (P-47D, Spitfire Mk IX, Bf-109K) will be free. All payable aircrafts are in stretch options. There are $20, $30, $40 pledge options for payable aircrafts.

What happens to them when only $100k will get reached? No payable aircrafts then. Will the mentioned pledge options get something more than the $10 pledge?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't fully understand the idea behind pledge options.

It's said that the 3 main aircrafts (P-47D, Spitfire Mk IX, Bf-109K) will be free. All payable aircrafts are in stretch options. There are $20, $30, $40 pledge options for payable aircrafts.

What happens to them when only $100k will get reached? No payable aircrafts then. Will the mentioned pledge options get something more than the $10 pledge?

Ilya clarified this in one of his early posts (I can't be bothered to dig it out), but this is the breakdown of aircraft by pledge level, assuming you don't own any of them in DCSW beforehand:

$0-19

P-47D

Spitfire Mk Ix

Bf109K

$20-$29

P-47D

Spitfire Mk Ix

Bf109K

One extra (from P-51*, Dora*, achieved stretch goal flyables)

$30-$39

P-47D

Spitfire Mk Ix

Bf109K

Two extra (from P-51*, Dora*, achieved stretch goal flyables)

$40+

P-47D

Spitfire Mk Ix

Bf109K

P-51*

Dora*

Achieved stretch goal flyables

* P-51 and Dora at these levels are only licenced for DCS WWII

$100+ DCSW Pledge

P-47D

Spitfire Mk Ix

Bf109K

P-51 (Immediately and including use in DCSW)

Dora (On release of the module and including use in DCSW)

Achieved stretch goal flyables

I've ignored the various multiple pack options, as if you are pledging at that level, you wouldn't be worrying about $10 vs $30 pledges :)

Now clearly if no stretch goals are reached, a $30 pledge is the same as a $40 pledge, but that's my understanding of the structure. From a risk/reward perspective, the $100 pledge is only $20 more than buying the P-51 and Dora modules at full whack, and given they are supplied before the project as a whole is released (or gets into trouble, depending on how optimistic you are!), might represent an attractive way of buying both whilst supporting the KS at the same time...

From a technical perspective, I'm not sure how they are planning to be interoperable but to also enforce the licence conditions of DCSW vs DCS WWII, but it's not an insurmountable technical challenge.

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Ok, thanks for clarification. This makes some sense.

But I didn't get it from anywhere that the P51 and Dora are included in the payable options as DCS WWII only. That was the cause of my confusion. It could've been made more clear somewhere.

This is the only mention of a separate license I've found (in the updates page):

We are also adding DCS World licenses to kickstarter rewards. You will receive the P-51D and the FW.190D with DCS WWII; but if you select the appropriate reward, you will also receive those licenses for DCS World.

But it doesn't say that those DCS WWII only are included in the payable options.

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dug up the quote :)

Evening everyone!

FREE for everyone:

P-47

Spitfire

Bf.109K

Paid on release

P-51 (from DCS World)

FW-190D (from DCS World)

If you back at a $20 level, you can pick a P-51 or FW-190D.

If you back at a $40 level, you will have both.

If you already own a DCS World P-51 and/or FW-190, then obviously no one wants you to have to pay for anything twice.

If we reach stretch goals, then the story changes.

Free aircraft list will most likely not change.

Backing at $20 still gets you one of the larger variety of paid aircraft.

$40 or above still gets you ALL of the initial flyables.

None of the aircraft released in future updates are covered by any of this.

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Yeah. I'm reading a thread "Business model behind this project" and still can't fully comprehend the idea. 3 planes for free. No real difference between $10 and $40 pledges (the stretch won't get reached it seems and P51/Dora don't really count as most interested people will have them anyway).

Oh well. Still, I'll be happy to help them. But would probably pay more if all of the things mentioned above would have been constructed better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think that any module will be only flyable in WWII. That was never specifically stated, indeed the opposite has been stated repeatedly: Any module will be cross-compatible between World and WWII. The only thing that is compatible with this original guarantee AND luthier's later posts is, in my opinion, that the $20-$40 pledges get you the ED modules at release of WWII, therefore as licenses for WWII, whereas at $65 or $85 you get the ED modules at successful completion of the Kickstarter, therefore as licenses for World (since WWII won't be released at that time).

What core - WWII or World - the license is for is ultimately not important, I suspect, since cross-compatibility is supposedly always guarnteed, so phrasing it that way certainly added a lot of confusion to an already confusing situation... Communication is really lacking overall though in this Kickstarter, unfortunately.

I don't think that any module will be only flyable in WWII. That was never specifically stated, indeed the opposite has been stated repeatedly: Any module will be cross-compatible between World and WWII. The only thing that is compatible with this original guarantee AND luthier's later posts is, in my opinion, that the $20-$40 pledges get you the ED modules at release of WWII, therefore as licenses for WWII, whereas at $65 or $85 you get the ED modules at successful completion of the Kickstarter, therefore as licenses for World (since WWII won't be released at that time).

What core - WWII or World - the license is for is ultimately not important, I suspect, since cross-compatibility is supposedly always guarnteed, so phrasing it that way certainly added a lot of confusion to an already confusing situation... Communication is really lacking overall though in this Kickstarter, unfortunately.

It's an assumption based on the following quote:

I also don't own either the P-51 or the Dora. If we were to include them in kickstarter rewards today, the people who do own the planes wouldn't just do it for free. I'd need to buy licenses from them; in essence you'd still just be buying the planes and your payment would be split between DCS WWII budget and paying for the licenses.

In other words, this would probably add some money to the project, but a large chunk of backer money for this particular reward would not be going to the project.

Now this is over 2 days after he posted my original quote. So he can promise them in WWII but can't include licences for them in the rewards (as they stood at that time). That leads to the conclusion that whatever deal he had to use the Mustang and Dora only covered DCS WWII, otherwise he would either not be able to offer them as rewards at all, or giving them would be no problem as he already factored in the licence costs, neither of which were the case.

Anyway, this is all speculation (on both sides) unless there is an official statement, and Ilya is MIA at the moment....