TM TPR Issues

Guppy

So first I'd like to note that I am likely doing something wrong here, but I cannot figure out what it is. I have a few messages into Jabbers as I was debugging my issue, but I figured I'd open it up to the community as I'm sure some of you have the pedals, too.

Behavior of issue:

- Break pressure is always at 50% on both pedals. I can see this in the Control panel, too.

- Pressing "w" (wheelbreaks), overrides the pedals and the pressure falls to 0%, in game.

- Pressing either pedals break, even slightly to engage the axis, when released sets the break pressure to 50%. I can register additional breaks from 50%-100%. but I cannot do 0-50%.

- When I go to assign the break axis in game, pushing the pedal will not assign it. I attribute this to only being able to move the pedal 50-100%. In most games, like DCS, you must move an axis in its full range to tell the game what axis to use. I cannot. So I have to select the axis from the drop down. When I test... I see it moving the 50-100%, but I again, cannot move it to the 0-50%.

Troubleshooting done:

- Uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled

- calibrated and re-calibrated using the downloaded tool.

Workaround

- I've gotten them to work as they are supposed to by using the TARGET software. My problem with it, though... is that I do not want to use the TARGET software. Additionally, the reviews I've seen no one has really used it either.

Additional information:

When I originally installed them I did not download any of the drivers, tools, calibrations software, what name you. I plugged them in, launched the windows calibration tool and went at it. I'm not sure if doing that has created some issue between what I did with windows and when I downloaded the drivers and all that crap.

Thoughts anyone before I try reaching out to Thrustmaster?

Edited by Guppy

You calibrated with Windows, DON"T DO THAT!

Go back into windows and reset calibration from that tab and restart your PC. That should fix your 50/50. Never ever use that windows calibration tool.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Panther, when you say go back into windows and reset the calibration from the tab. I do not see where to do that. When I open up the Game Controller Control Panel... When I click properties for the TPR it just shows the Thrustmaster TPR Control Panel Properties.

Are you saying to uninstall the TPR Pedals, head into the windows calibration and reset then?

I figured it out Panther - your direction helped with a bit of research on my end. Please find my write-up. I also sent it off to Thrustmaster incase anyone else gets stupidly excited like me and goes rogue.

BEHAVIOR:

When pressing down the break pedals, games and windows only register 50-100% of the axis movement even though the full range is being applied on the physical pedal itself. This causes games to incorrectly register the axis @ 50% all the time unless pressed. Then it cycles from 50 to 100%.

LIKELY CAUSE:

Using Windows default calibration software (Game Controllers) to calibrate the pedals prior to downloading and installing:

1) Drivers from TM website (Package Drivers - Hotas Warthog - 2018_TMHW_1 + Firmware) and

2) Calibration utility (T.RJ12 USB ADAPTER_Calibration tool (v1.11))

Additional detail:

When I initially setup these pedals I immediately plugged them into windows and calibrated there. I tried a game, noticed I had issues... then I went to your website and downloaded #1 and #2 above. I did not follow the printed instructions in your booklet - i went rogue.

HOW TO RESOLVE:

a) Launch the Package Drivers installation software. This will uninstall the TPR Pedals and their associated applications.

b) reboot your PC

c) Launch Windows calibration software (Game Controllers)

d) click on TPR Pedals from the list, click properties, Settings tab, Click Reset to default

e) reboot PC

f) Install #1 and #2 above

g) FIXED

ADDITIONAL NOTE:

If the user has not downloaded and installed #1 and #2 above, but are having issues with axis movements because they only used the windows calibration software (game controllers). Instruct user to follow steps c) through g) above. Essentially they need to wipe their current calibration in windows and start with the drivers/calibration utility.

I have tested this multiple times and have been able to reproduce every single time.

• Like 1

Glad you were able to get it sorted. My apologies for not being clear enough in what I was trying to instruct you to do. I have tested a lot of hardware over the years, and have discovered that the windows calibration tool doesn't work properly for a lot of hardware. This isn't just flight sim gear, this includes racing hardware as well.

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Are they worth the money? I’m thinking about. Getting them and a huey collective and use the tm wh. Stick like I have it

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Are they worth the money? I’m thinking about. Getting them and a huey collective and use the tm wh. Stick like I have it

They are absolutely wonderful to use. They feel great. As Jabber's review states the most annoying part is adjusting them. But once you get them to where you like, they feel so good.

There's really no alternative to them in terms of realism. Yeah, slaws are great but they dont move realistically. These do.

Has anyone got these to work with the TARGET Script editor?

I think I'm they're short an axis.

X and Y for joystick

Z and RZ for left and right throttle's

Slider for nozzles in Harrier

According to the Device analyzer I'm left with Rx, Ry, and Throttle

Rx and Ry could be brakes i guess

And I guess Throttle for rudder

Any thoughts?

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

So far as I know were still limited to 8 axis per controller. A full set of warthog and pedals accounts for 10.

You probably don’t need to manage pedals through target but if you actually do...or want to... you have to sacrifice 2 other axes to use rudder and brakes.

I’m running a profile right now that sacrifices the microstick on the throttle. Do you want to do that?

First comment out these 2 lines as shown (assuming they're in your standard / default script to start with)

//MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

//SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

//MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

//SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

Then you can add in the rudder & brakes like this:

MapAxis(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_RUDDER, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_RUDDER, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_RIGHT, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_LEFT, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&TFRPHARudder, TFRPHA_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

Note, my system uses RZ and Throttle for the throttles. You could substitute DX_THROTTLE_AXIS in for "DX_Z_AXIS" on the TFRPHA_RUDDER mapping.

Has anyone got these to work with the TARGET Script editor?

I think I'm they're short an axis.

X and Y for joystick

Z and RZ for left and right throttle's

Slider for nozzles in Harrier

According to the Device analyzer I'm left with Rx, Ry, and Throttle

Rx and Ry could be brakes i guess

And I guess Throttle for rudder

Any thoughts?

Edited by Teej

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

So far as I know were still limited to 8 axis per controller. A full set of warthog and pedals accounts for 10.

Is that a game restiction or TARGET limitation?

You probably don’t need to manage pedals through target but if you actually do...or want to... you have to sacrifice 2 other axes to use rudder and brakes.

I don't want to do that. Do you know how to separate the TPR Pedals from the TARGET combined controller?

I tried adding the line

Exclude(&TFRPHARudder);

, but that had no effect. The TPR pedals don't show up in DCS controller page.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Not DCS or TARGET - it's a Windows / DirectX / DirectInput limit - 8 axis, 32 buttons (DX buttons) per controller.

You can try this instead of your exclude...

Configure(&TFRPHARudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

I dug into the target.tmh and commented out all the references to "&TFRPHARudder" that the compiler complained about.

So TARGET doesn't even know of the existence of TPR Rudder and the rudders act as a separate controller.

I will try your approach as well when I fix my .tmh

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

That was going to be my next suggestion (removing the entry from the .tmh)

Enjoy!

T

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not without having and digging into your files. Those should've done the trick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m having an issue with mine, where every time I restart the computer the Thrustmaster TPR isn’t recognized by DCS (or it just isn’t there in the Axis controls) and I have to quit DCS, unplug them and replug them in and then restart DCS and it’s there. Any solutions so I just have to turn on my computer like my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and everything else I use?

i9-9900k / ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI / Ripjaws V 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 / EVGA XC Ultra GeForce RTX 2080 Ti / Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD / Windows 10 / Oculus Rift S

Had problems like that too...mine was caused by having too many joysticks installed that were not being used anymore... The only way I was able to fix that problem was to delete them from the registry. This can really **** up your system if you are not careful!!!

How I did it was to open RegEdit in start, run...

Then navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/Joystick/OEM

There you will probably see a bunch of "VID_..."

Basically delete all the ones that dont have an OEMName...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Had problems like that too...mine was caused by having too many joysticks installed that were not being used anymore... The only way I was able to fix that problem was to delete them from the registry. This can really **** up your system if you are not careful!!!

How I did it was to open RegEdit in start, run...

Then navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/Joystick/OEM

There you will probably see a bunch of "VID_..."

Basically delete all the ones that dont have an OEMName...

What would be considered too many unused controllers?

I'm replacing my rudder pedals with the TM TPR pedals. If I can avoid messing with the registry, I'll be happy.

What would be considered too many unused controllers?

I'm replacing my rudder pedals with the TM TPR pedals. If I can avoid messing with the registry, I'll be happy.

Another thing you could try, is to go into windows game controllers and select advanced for the TRPs and make them the preferred device. that should move them to the top of the list of game controllers dcs recognizes first. at least thats my understanding of it...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Ok, this is what I did.

Unplugged the old rudder pedals and plugged in the new TPR pedals.

Started up the computer and windows recognized the new pedals.

Started DCS and...yes they are recognized. Just need to fine tune the curvatures.

So basically Plugged and Played.

For reference:

My controllers/USB devices are:

SteelSeries Keyboard

One wired mouse for switches/knobs on the left console

One wireless mouse for switches/knobs on the right console

TrackiR5

Wireless headset

Thrust master Warthog throttle and flight stick

Thrust master TPR pedals

One external WD passport

The computer is a basic Cyperpower bought from Amazon.

Hopefully this helps anyone thinking about the TPR pedals

They are awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still having trouble and about to tear my hair out over this. I have the TM Hotas and the TPR pedals. I understand the axis restriction, but that's not a problem with any generic pedals I use. I even go into DCS settings and try to reset the axis, and I can't seem to get it to work. It seems like the tpr pedals think they're part of the throttle.

Is there a reason why you're leaving them in profile? Take em out and program them separately in DCS and everything will work without issue as you'll then have have two devices and all the axes you'll need. There is no loss leaving them out because you don't need any fancy programming to set up the pedals but with the pedals in the profile you will not have enough axes no matter what you do, you'll have to compromise somewhere. Also remember that once in game you'll have to remove all the axis assignments because they're going to be wrong and set them yourself. You'll have two devices, the HOTAS being one virtual device and the pedals the second. It helps if you take a picture in target to reference where it has assigned the axes on the HOTAS so you can reference it in DCS or you can just go into free flight and trial and error fiddle it there. The pedals can be set simply by selecting the axis and then entering by moving the pedals themselves. Make sure you're selecting the pedals and not accidentally assigning to the HOTAS. The same will work for some of the HOTAS axes but some will have to be done by selecting from the drop down. I'm traveling so I cant post pictures of my settings page but you'll figure out what I'm talking about easily enough once you get in there. Everything is going to start working fine once you get the pedals out of the profile.