RED FLAG - An F/A-18 NTTR Mission by Sedlo

Sedlo,

What are the "Extra Coors" mission completed and RTB conditions?

target destroyed and players leaving the AO?

Last night my bombs exploded elsewhere leaving target intact, but somehow I managed to come back at Nellis alive. But no "Extra coors" call for me.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Roger, new version 1.31 up now... fixed a few voice over issues.

Thank you!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Can't recall exactly, but there should be one bombs on target, another for bombs released in target area, then another for bombs not on target.

Sedlo,

What are the "Extra Coors" mission completed and RTB conditions?

target destroyed and players leaving the AO?

Last night my bombs exploded elsewhere leaving target intact, but somehow I managed to come back at Nellis alive. But no "Extra coors" call for me.

• 1 month later...
Mission updated to version 1.5 > added an enhanced randomized threat environment, the ability to receive AWACS Link 16 data, tweaked some scripts and triggers.

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300770/

Appreciated, testing tonight :D

Thanks for the quick update sedlo, i've had a hard time finding a server/mission in which to really evaluate the new DL - will be fun to fly this again with the new toys.

I hope this means that as new toys become available you find the time to incorporate them into your work. A certain campaign I particularly enjoyed could benefit from some updating ;)

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Mission updated to version 1.5 > added an enhanced randomized threat environment, the ability to receive AWACS Link 16 data, tweaked some scripts and triggers.

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300770/

Well, mission flown. I don´t remember if in previous versions, you have set wind to zero. Turbulence is ok, but I don´t know if the no wind scenario is due to the hornet roll bug.

Fog was quite heavy when landing.

There is a "Sidearm" reference in the briefing which I guess it´s a copypaste thing from the Harrier version.

After refuelling, I didn´t know how to call the F10 radio item to re-contact Darkstar, with push button 7 left in use. I just flew to WP5 and marshalled here, then I heard on the radio the AO update and carried on with the mission.

I think you edited the initial fuel quantity, when I hit the tanker, I had barely wasted half of the external tanks. With previous versions, with no refuelling, I used to jettison the external tanks during marshalling @ WP5

SA page worked fine. It helps a lot.

After a furball over WP12, I didn´t get any more messages on the radio.

All in all, great fun. I survived, put some bombs on target (I guess, I will check the track tomorrow), ran out of flares, shot two fox 2 and some gun rounds and didn´t mess up at landing.

Thank you!!

After refuelling, I didn´t know how to call the F10 radio item to re-contact Darkstar, with push button 7 left in use. I just flew to WP5 and marshalled here, then I heard on the radio the AO update and carried on with the mission.

I think you edited the initial fuel quantity, when I hit the tanker, I had barely wasted half of the external tanks. With previous versions, with no refuelling, I used to jettison the external tanks during marshaling @ WP5

Ya, same here. There is definitely a bug after refueling where you should be redirected to Darkstar but aren't. I had to check the frequency list and repeatedly call done refueling in an attempt to find the right frequency. Managed to find it about 90 seconds before push, so voice overs went off rapid succession - AO update in 5, followed immediately by AO update, then extra butter, extra something... then like 15 seconds later extra adventure.

Everything work out fine, though trying to read the new... I won't spoil it, but lost a wing while zoomed into the SA page attempting to decipher what I was seeing.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Hey Guys! Double checked the mission, while I updated the AWACS to work with the Datalink, I forgot to update the friendly fighters. That has been fixed with new version 1.52.

I've test flown the mission a couple of times, and I can see how it might not be clear what to do. After you've finished refueling, you are meant to use the radio menu, F10 option to check out from the tanker.

Once that happens, the voice over tells you to push Channel 16 left (287.8). Once you switch your radio over, the check in should happen automatically.

I've added a text box in game to remind you to tune your radio to Channel 16 left (287.8) after you refuel. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

SEDLO

Edited by Sedlo

Hey Guys! Double checked the mission, while I updated the AWACS to work with the Datalink, I forgot to update the friendly fighters. That has been fixed with new version 1.52.

I've test flown the mission a couple of times, and I can see how it might not be clear what to do. After you've finished refueling, you are meant to use the radio menu, F10 option to check out from the tanker.

Once that happens, the voice over tells you to push Channel 16 left (287.8). Once you switch your radio over, the check in should happen automatically.

I've added a text box in game to remind you to tune your radio to Channel 16 left (287.8) after you refuel. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

SEDLO

Once the transfer is completed?

Not quite, The radio menu should become active as soon as you switch to the tanker frequency.

The reminder to use the Radio Menu / F10 happens once you back away from the tanker more than 300ft or so.

So you get inside 10nm of the tanker, Sally controller tells you to switch to tanker frequency, and by then the new F10 radio item is added?

Almost!

Sally Control will direct you to push to the tanker. Once you switch your left radio to 295.4, the F10 option is added.

When you are within 300 ft of the tanker, a message will pop up, reminding you that once you're refuel is complete to contact Darkstar via radio menu / F10.

Once you call complete with the radio menu / F10 you should switch to Channel 16 / 287.8 on your left radio. If you don't, a pop up should come and remind you to do so.

Almost!

Sally Control will direct you to push to the tanker. Once you switch your left radio to 295.4, the F10 option is added.

When you are within 300 ft of the tanker, a message will pop up, reminding you that once you're refuel is complete to contact Darkstar via radio menu / F10.

Once you call complete with the radio menu / F10 you should switch to Channel 16 / 287.8 on your left radio. If you don't, a pop up should come and remind you to do so.

Interesting, I will check it later.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Congratulations Sedlo for this strongly built and really interesting mission. I can hardly imagine the amount of work it takes.

I played it several times. Overall it works pretty well but I have some comments :

1- The behavior of our wingman is totally insane. I know it's a common DCS problem and not specific to this mission but it's amazing. How is it possible to have so smart AI ... except when the AI is your wingman ? He does anything except what would be useful and finally he reaches bingo fuel and ejects despite 3 tanks and the AAR ?!? Unbelievable ...

2- Labels are disable even after editing the mission and checking the option. I can understand it's less realistic but in real life I don't have a 1920x1080 pixel vision.

3- I suspect some troubles with the AAR F10 option. As I said, I played the mission several times and it seems that if you send your wingman to the tanker or contact it after the question "Would you refuel ... or not ..." but before the message at 10 miles from the tanker, either you have nothing (no F10 message, no F10 option in the menu) or you have the F10 message and the F10 option but very late after refueling. In all cases, if you switch to channel 16 you can follow the mission normally and have the appropriate messages starting at 8h42.

4- I'm a bit confused concerning the landing. The tower requests a left-hand break. For me it's a left turn (to keep the runway in sight on my left) similar to the carrier CASE I. I did that and ... I had a message explaining I've done a right-hand break ... I probably misunderstood something ...

5- Finally I have a question : since the last stable DCS version, in most missions, our own waypoints no longer appear on the F10 map but it's not the case in this mission. Do you know why ?

Thanks again for this mission.

• Like 1

Congratulations Sedlo for this strongly built and really interesting mission. I can hardly imagine the amount of work it takes.

I played it several times. Overall it works pretty well but I have some comments :

1- The behavior of our wingman is totally insane. I know it's a common DCS problem and not specific to this mission but it's amazing. How is it possible to have so smart AI ... except when the AI is your wingman ? He does anything except what would be useful and finally he reaches bingo fuel and ejects despite 3 tanks and the AAR ?!? Unbelievable ...

2- Labels are disable even after editing the mission and checking the option. I can understand it's less realistic but in real life I don't have a 1920x1080 pixel vision.

3- I suspect some troubles with the AAR F10 option. As I said, I played the mission several times and it seems that if you send your wingman to the tanker or contact it after the question "Would you refuel ... or not ..." but before the message at 10 miles from the tanker, either you have nothing (no F10 message, no F10 option in the menu) or you have the F10 message and the F10 option but very late after refueling. In all cases, if you switch to channel 16 you can follow the mission normally and have the appropriate messages starting at 8h42.

4- I'm a bit confused concerning the landing. The tower requests a left-hand break. For me it's a left turn (to keep the runway in sight on my left) similar to the carrier CASE I. I did that and ... I had a message explaining I've done a right-hand break ... I probably misunderstood something ...

5- Finally I have a question : since the last stable DCS version, in most missions, our own waypoints no longer appear on the F10 map but it's not the case in this mission. Do you know why ?

Thanks again for this mission.

Hi R.MES!

Thanks, I'm glad it worked well (for the most part). I'll address the comments below:

1. Yep, the wingman is almost completely useless in this mission. Things have changed with DCS since this mission was first made, and it's a bit of a hit or miss situation now. Best not to rely on them, or just send them after some bandits in the meantime. I'll have to have another look at this mission in the future.

2. I've set this mission to be black dot labels for all aircraft to try and make it real as I can. But in order to set black labels, it will prevent the player from selecting the normal labels. I was told that having black labels would be something incorporated in DCS soon, but it haven't happened yet. I'm hoping that this change happens in the near future, so perhaps this can be addressed soon.

3. I'll have another look at the refuel option, I'm not sure if there has a been a DCS change yet. The way it was originally written is for "Alley Cat" to ask you if you want to refuel, you then answer with the yes or no. Once Alleycat tells you to push to the tanker frequency, you then push to tanker and THEN send your wingman to refuel. That way worked for me in the past, I'm not sure if there have been changes that made that different now.

4. Sounds like you did it right. If you were close to the base and you were offset to the right, that trigger may have fired. (if you're not overhead the actual runway (21L if I recall), then you may accidently fire the wrong trigger. Have a look if you've got TACVIEW, or if you recall being offset the right at all.

5. No idea at all! Could be a carryover of a mission written in an earlier version?

Thanks for your comments, I will have a dig into this mission on the weekend and see if there is anything I can adjust.

Cheers for now,

SEDLO

(BTW, sorry it took a day for the response, it seems the email notifications aren't working with the new forums)