vikhr stop tracking the laser

If I've been playing a mission for an extended amount of time the vikhrs will stop tracking the laser. I'll have a clear lock on a tank or something and they just hit the ground 200 meters in front of the KA-50. Is there any workaround to get them to track again, other than hurry my slow ass up and complete the mission? Maybe a switch a need to set after re-arming from an airfield?

Thanks, Jeff

Processor: i7-8700K CPU @ 5.1GHz (OC)

Memory: 16384MB RAM DDR 4266

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI FE

VR: PiMax 5K+

HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO

HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50

I've just been leaving it on once I get to the target area. Is there any indication that when the laser is cool enough to turn back on? I've switched it off for a little while then back on but didn't seem to help. I'll try to only use it when firing and see how that goes.

Can someone give me a rundown on this laser cooling thing? When is this an issue? I just leave it on, and it works fine. Just an overview? How this laser cooling thing plays with the LASER SWTICH on the left side, the laser measuring distance, and when it guides a Vhikr.

I've read stuff about that you should turn it off, and what's the reason for this?

Just a summary? :)

Ah that link was very informative.

I think this was getting me:

"2) Wait for the countdown on hud to complete after each lase, before using the laser again. "

I was in manual mode and would track and fire as fast as possible. I'll give it a go tonight.

In my long experience with the Shark, you can get away with two and a half sorties . That means you go out; use up 12 vikhrs, go back and rearm, use another 12. Go back and rearm it will fail by the 6th vikhr.

By then the laser has burned out

My standard practice is that on the 2nd RTB, I shut down the engines (you can leave electronics on) and do a repair.

• Like 2

You can extend it out past 2.5 sorties if you do some laser micro-management. When lasing for range, turn it on, lase to get the range, then turn it off immediately after you get the range info. When guiding a Vikhr, it will stay on for 6 seconds past the expected time to impact, so turn it off immediately after the Vikhr hits. That's a lot of micro-management though, so I wouldn't bother and just do a full repair after every 2 sorties or so.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:18 AM, arkroyale048 said:

In my long experience with the Shark, you can get away with two and a half sorties . That means you go out; use up 12 vikhrs, go back and rearm, use another 12. Go back and rearm it will fail by the 6th vikhr.

By then the laser has burned out

My standard practice is that on the 2nd RTB, I shut down the engines (you can leave electronics on) and do a repair.

How do you shut down the engines?  The cut off valves?  Or Stop button?  And what's the procedure for restarting the engine?

And why is it that this laser "burnout" only affects Vikhr.  Cannon still works, rocket piper still works, and even Kh-25ML still works.

• ED Team
13 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

How do you shut down the engines?  The cut off valves?  Or Stop button?  And what's the procedure for restarting the engine?

Use the red cut-off valve levers. The Stop button just interrupts the engine Start sequence. Of course the APU has its own APU Stop button right next to it, so don't confuse the two.

For restarting the engine(s), you need to start the APU first (since the APU powers the engine start sequence), and then just start them as you would any other time. But I believe you also need to have the APU off as well for a repair, so don't start it until the repair is finished.

I would also move the yellow engine power levers back down to IDLE first. You don't necessarily have to since this is just a game, but if you leave them in AUTO the engines will just accelerate immediately after they finish spooling up during start.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

8 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Use the red cut-off valve levers. The Stop button just interrupts the engine Start sequence. Of course the APU has its own APU Stop button right next to it, so don't confuse the two.

For restarting the engine(s), you need to start the APU first (since the APU powers the engine start sequence), and then just start them as you would any other time. But I believe you also need to have the APU off as well for a repair, so don't start it until the repair is finished.

I would also move the yellow engine power levers back down to IDLE first. You don't necessarily have to since this is just a game, but if you leave them in AUTO the engines will just accelerate immediately after they finish spooling up during start.

Thanks.  I thought you have to shut it down in certain way to cause damage to initiate repair.

Seems like throttle levers need to be lowered for restarting procedure anyway.

So the repair doesn't start if there's no damage.

Problem is I just re-arm, go out, and laser goes out after 2 Vikhr forcing me to come back.  I'd like the laser to be repaired anyway when I re-arm as a reset.

Is there a good way to cause a damage so I can force a repair?

31 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

So the repair doesn't start if there's no damage.

Problem is I just re-arm, go out, and laser goes out after 2 Vikhr forcing me to come back.  I'd like the laser to be repaired anyway when I re-arm as a reset.

Is there a good way to cause a damage so I can force a repair?

1) Only turn on laser when needed. Overheating problem solved. 

2) Literally anything. Land too hard, slam your nose into the ground, let someone shoot you etc. 

Edited by razo+r

42 minutes ago, razo+r said:

1) Only turn on laser when needed. Overheating problem solved. 

I do.  But as others have said, it still lasts 2.5 sorties if I only use Vikhr.  If I use laser for rockets and cannons, it lasts 1.5 sorties.

42 minutes ago, razo+r said:

2) Literally anything. Land too hard, slam your nose into the ground, let someone shoot you etc. 

Said "good" way.  Meaning controlled and quick repair.  I can think of many ways to cause damage too.

Edited by Taz1004

If it only lasts 2 sorties, then you seem to keep it on more than needed. Like I said, only keep it on when needed, so shortly before and during firing a Vikhr, after than immediately off again. (It's also no shame if you don't immediately follow one Vikhr with another. You can give it some time to cool inbetween too)

What is a "good" way? The three examples I provided can all be done at the FARP/Airbase and are controlled. You can't control it more than that.

And it does not matter what type of damage you take. Repair will be 3 minutes regardless.

Oh, and I found this. Maybe this is the "good" way you want: 

Edited by razo+r

8 hours ago, razo+r said:

If it only lasts 2 sorties, then you seem to keep it on more than needed. Like I said, only keep it on when needed, so shortly before and during firing a Vikhr, after than immediately off again. (It's also no shame if you don't immediately follow one Vikhr with another. You can give it some time to cool inbetween too)

What is a "good" way? The three examples I provided can all be done at the FARP/Airbase and are controlled. You can't control it more than that.

And it does not matter what type of damage you take. Repair will be 3 minutes regardless.

Oh, and I found this. Maybe this is the "good" way you want: 

Thanks.  That is much better way.