Set up your graphics

ickyline

Thank you majapahit,

Slazi, my 1050 ti may not be cutting edge, but runs everything else from Arma 3, Prepar 3d to GTA5, and flat-out beautiful and smooth. The problem is the newest DCS engine needs what all other engines seem to have standard, optimization, working shaders--. I run Prepar 3d v 4, and it is dropdead beautiful with its advanced cockpits, massive amounts of trees and traffic.... Why not DCS after nearly 2 decades? Love DCS, but its not balanced and not a good running system.

So, has anyone heard any more news or info on Devs actually optimizing, fixing the memory leaks, trying Vulcan, replacing the defunct shaders, broken AA or anything else that might lead one to hoping they don't need to disable everything, have access to Nasa's Kray super PC or spend as much on a graphics card as they do on a new PC just to run DCS like you see in the 'promoted' videos?

I'm really invested here owning many of the aircraft already and having saved over a year for this new Ryzen 5. Searching through forums I see nothing bit people like me suffering the stutters and all their many attempts to remedy, but ZERO-zero-zero from devs on offering any hope the next decade won't be as fruitless as the last nearly two decades have been.

Is there any good news, please brighten my month someone☺?

You are comparing the wrong games to this sim. Arma has a game world that can be flown over in minutes. 200 sq mi for Altis vs 90,000 sq mi for DCS maps. The same holds true for gta 5, which looked cartoony to me but I digress. Those games do not ask the computer to do as many things either. Arma is an infantry sim that had other things added. You will never have the fidelity of physics, damage, sensor, and weapon modeling that you do in DCS. All of that takes up resources and will hit your frames in a way shallow pretty games don't. Even your 1 dedicated flight sim prepare is only a flight sim. It does not have the added combat systems layer modeled onto it.

Face it your 1050ti is low end. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is out of its depth when playing overly complex games. A large Steel beasts scenario would bring your system to it knees. The same goes for the Witcher 3 at max, battlefield 1 at max, etc will put a lot of sub 60 pain on your card, and those don't even tax your overall system as much.

I am not saying that this game is perfect, it's not, but your hardware setup is a compromise between cost and and visual fidelity.

Thank you Hasler,

I respect what you are saying. I totally get your words. Points made.

My real question is still, is there any posted optimization incoming, any further talk of Vulcan implementation, or any hope of improving fps for the 80% not looking to invest $3K into a new DCS dedicated gaming rig?

I am also seeking info for options to lighten the CPU load. Less trees, lighter mesh, anything that will actually work. Tired of seeking and tweaking instead of playing. One session runs smooth, the next a stutter fest. Surely the game can be streamlined, optimized or options included that really provide framerate relief.

Gotta run, check back in later, thank you men.

Majapahit,

I have tried Nvidia Inspector with your suggested settings. It has helped. It was definitely worth the minor learning curve. I appreciate the help and the time that you took to help me out. I wish more things like this were out there☺

Still have some stutter issues. But I am hopeful to hear DCS Dev news soon addressing Vulcan, memory leaks, optimizations etc.

Anyone else out there with a tried and true tweak for the latest DCS World Alpha or Beta?

My real question is still, is there any posted optimization incoming, any further talk of Vulcan implementation, or any hope of improving fps for the 80% not looking to invest $3K into a new DCS dedicated gaming rig?

I haven't followed this thread in-depth, so apologies if the following has already been suggested.

Take a look at the Next Q&A? thread; NineLine is gathering topics to ask someone from ED/TFC. A lot of questions/suggestions already go the direction about future development, and I'd definitely be interested in the near and mid term optimizations and bugfixes. If you ask your question there (or in the appropriate follow-up thread, where the actual questions are probably going to be gathered), there's a chance someone from ED/TFC who is actually in the know might answer it. :thumbup:

With 2.5, a lot of DCS users have voiced more or less severe performance problems, so I'm really hoping this is something ED are going to address.

Then again, my rig is about 6 years old, with RAM and GFX card having been replaced within the last year, and DCS (both 2.5 stable and 2.5.2 OpenBeta) runs quite fine for me, with a rig that's certainly well below the 3000$ mark. Time consuming as it may be, tweaking the settings to fit the current hardware can make DCS run more or less okay even on older systems.

I think I took about one afternoon to look up various tweak and optimization guides, test settings, runs DCS again and again and again and measure FPS. IIRC that boosted my FPS from 40ish to 60ish. With FPS now locked at 30 via options.graphics.maxfps = 30 in autoexec.cfg, I'm really happy with the overall performance in any map, though I haven't played on crowded MP servers lately.

Majapahit,

I have tried Nvidia Inspector with your suggested settings. It has helped. It was definitely worth the minor learning curve. I appreciate the help and the time that you took to help me out. I wish more things like this were out there☺

Still have some stutter issues. But I am hopeful to hear DCS Dev news soon addressing Vulcan, memory leaks, optimizations etc.

Anyone else out there with a tried and true tweak for the latest DCS World Alpha or Beta?

If you want to test if your card is the source of stutters, in Nvidia Inspector you set

Texture filtering - Quality from 'Quality' to 'Performance'

you're screen will be less optimized through less size bitmaps

if the stutters go away it's (mostly) your cards capabilities (bus width and speed, versus IO)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Majapahit,

To Clarify what you are explaing to me:

If a weak video card then Texture Filtering Quality setting will cause more stutters.

and

If Strong video card then Texture Filtering performance setting should = even less stutters

Did I get this correct?☺

Thank you

Yurgon,

I thank you for your answer. I followed the link you provided. I see the 9 pages of people asking many questions with zero response from any devs as yet. The most frequent question still being will DCS be optimized to ever run better.

My question, keeping in mind please my being new to posting here, but having been involved in DCS back from the start almost 2 decades ago, my question is this;

Do the devs ever respond, and if so then where do i find that at please?

Thank you friends.

Majapahit,

To Clarify what you are explaing to me:

If a weak video card then Texture Filtering Quality setting will cause more stutters.

and

If Strong video card then Texture Filtering performance setting should = even less stutters

Did I get this correct?☺

Thank you

Indeed, at least that is my experience, but 'weak' or 'strong' in this case has more to do with Video RAM and the IO speed.

Texture Filtering Quality simply renders smaller bitmap sizes (which are blurrier) and when the stutters disappear it has to do with less RAM IO speeds mostly, or just less RAM (or the simpler architecture).

This is what I noticed as the difference between DCS 1.5 and 2.5, DCS 2.5 behaves a lot like the old FSX and now P3Dv3 (32bits) where 12 FPS or 20 FPS and stutters were quite 'normal' ... and indeed this has to do with graphics engine and code optimization, but are exactly the hardest part of game development. If only that was simple.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Do the devs ever respond, and if so then where do i find that at please?

Just a few weeks ago, NineLine asked Producer Nick Grey a bunch of questions from the community: Questions from the Community for Nick Grey - Answers!

The thread I referred to (Next Q&A) seems to prepare for something similar, so hopefully we'll either see a thread gathering the actual questions, or maybe already a thread with the answers, sometime soon. :thumbup: