F/A-18 be specific 2.5.2 open beta

creature

DCS:

I recommend being a little more specific about what version is required to use the F/A-18.

There is a clear message saying DCS world 2.5.2 is required. It is actually 2.5.2 open beta.

Maybe this was my own ignorance but I wasted 5 hours of the day figuring out that the beta version was needed. I was was under the impression that it was just DCS World and I could not figure out why it would not update to 2.5.2. I finally figured it out on the forums (my thanks to the forum) and I am still waiting for all the downloads to be completed. A little frustrating considering the cost and also the time I could have saved if I was aware of this and downloaded the Open Beta when I pre purchased the F/A-18. Again my own ignorance may be to blame, but I can't imagine that I am the only one who had this unexpected set back.

Creature

Please do not confuse this with a "rant" or a complaint. Simply a statement. DCS puts out a quality sim and obviously also a great deal of time and effort to produce high quality simulation. I want to be clear that is not over looked.

C

I went back and the only place i could find that the Open Beta version was required was on the page displayed after the "buy" button was clicked. It is at the bottom of the features bullet points. FYI

Edited by creature

When you go to the store and scroll to the F/A-18 module, you'll see it quite clearly states that open beta is required.

Third paragraph down...

"DCS: F/A-18C Hornet early access will first be available on DCS World Open Beta"

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

When you go to the store and scroll to the F/A-18 module, you'll see it quite clearly states that open beta is required.

Third paragraph down...

"DCS: F/A-18C Hornet early access will first be available on DCS World Open Beta"

Can you just tell me where you are seeing that on the store? It escapes me at the moment!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Directly above the chart that lays out localizations. Also, release is still on 2.5.0. Open Beta is the only place to find 2.5.2.

Sorry, if that is relating to my question, then I'm no further forward! What chart? What localisations?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

open beta is currently 2.5.2.17978.385

2.5.2.17978.385 or greater will be required for the hornet.

Capture.thumb.JPG.b5a6cd32ec287bb19b7a7a43526875f7.JPG

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry, I don’t understand what’s going on in this thread! I am simply asking where the statement in post #3 shows on the web store. I can’t see it.

Edit: ok, I see it under Home>Eshop>Modules, but it doesn’t say that on the main Products>Planes page, or under the Hornet details page.

I think this could be very confusing for people less familiar than ourselves with how DCS works.

Edited by imacken

Ii don't want to be polemical...but in my opinion is really obvious that a beta product (like the early access Hornet) comes first to Open Beta.... confirmation of obvious things never hurts and it is free..i know..but i really don't understand a lot of complains here on this forum (not referring specifically to the OP here)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Ii don't want to be polemical...but in my opinion is really obvious that a beta product (like the early access Hornet) comes first to Open Beta.... confirmation of obvious things never hurts and it is free..i know..but i really don't understand a lot of complains here on this forum (not referring specifically to the OP here)

The reason is that to non-DCS familiar people like us, it is not at all obvious that the early access modules require the beta build.

For example, despite what Wags says, if someone visits the DCS site, clicks on https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/ there is nothing there to suggest beta required, then if they click on ‘Detail’ https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/hornet/ there is nothing there either.

You say ‘it is obvious that a beta product comes to Open Beta’, but that is not obvious at all. I - and maybe you - have quite a few beta products running on the release version of Windows.

We can all see that this causes confusion with some new-to-DCS users, and we should do everything to encourage new people to DCS.

Personally, I feel that a mention of Open Beta required on the 2 pages I linked to above, would be useful.

I agree with all of you, I have always supported the DCS team but as already mentioned, I will not buy more products in pre-order just to avoid any inconcenienti the $ 20 difference is not worth it ...

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

We can all see that this causes confusion with some new-to-DCS users, and we should do everything to encourage new people to DCS.

That's all I was getting at, because I am one of those people:))

On a side note. Finally got it loaded and the F/A-18 is a wonderful example of hard work. Now if you will excuse me, I am going back to flying it:))

C

I'm also brand new to the DCS world; although have been monitoring its development throughout the years. Hadn't checked on current status in quite some time. Wow! 2018 has been a killer year for advancement and expansion! DL'd 2.5 to check things out on my older rig. Blew tires on the 25T and torque flipped the P51 many times...sold! :-)

I agree that for us newbs, the single beta-requirement reference deep within the site was far from obvious. I too scratched my head for 12 hours wondering why 2.5 wouldn't update and my new Hornet wouldn't appear. Finally figured it out. Now kicking tires and lighting fires...and calculating how to best leverage the bonus program in my planned purchases! ;-)

Was lucky to snag Hornet just hours before the sale ended. This is the start of a beautiful and expensive friendship. ;-)

Keepin' Canopy Up 'Only" When Wheels Down,

Saint

Edited by Saintan

Wayne Saint

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

"Do Unto Others BEFORE They Do Unto You..."

Apache, Comanche, Falcon, Hind, Intruder, Lightning II

Nighthawk, Rafale, Raptor, Strike Eagle, Tornado, Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You have to assume that a noob stumbles across this page, likes it, buys it and then reads.

The usual drama, some things you cant type large enough.

See it out of the eyes of the guy on the other side of the counter and assume he's got good will and money but zero knowledge, that's a good start for a good service.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Whoops. I notice the warning of Open Beta is a bit more vague than it was a few days ago so I now own a Hornet and new scenery I can't use. Once it goes live will I be able to use the license key? Surely I don't have to buy this again?

Any way to have both DCS World and DCS World Open Beta installed at the same time?

I don't mind waiting one bit, I will mind if this purchase is not going to carry over to final release.

HP Omen 870-244, GTX 1080, 32GB DDR4, 1TB OS, 500 GB NVMe SSD, TM Warthog

Hi Bob follow this

1. open windows explorer and move to the folder where you have DCS World installed.

2. Select the bin folder, don't open it and hold down the Shift key while right clicking on the bin folder

3. You will then see a menu with either something like "open powershell window here" or "open cmd prompt here", depending upon the version of windows you have. select whichever one you have

4. If it is the cmd variant, go to 5 below. if it is the powershell variant, type "cmd" and hit return

5. Type "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta" and hit return

6 click Yes if you need to and that should download the openbeta version of the software and install it over the top of your release version

7. if you need to go back to the release version, repeat steps 1-4 above and then type

"DCS_updater.exe update @release"

I have done and its work

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

will we be able to fly the Hornet in the "stable DCS"? :cry:

That's exactly what I wish to know!

I bought the pre release Hornet, thinking (wrongly now it seems) that my 2.5 "stable" DCS world would run it!

I don't wish to do "Beta" testing and furthermore, I object to paying for a product that only runs in a "beta" world! (Even if I did save $20). More transparency in the advertising and fancy videos would be appreciated. Something like, "You may only run the Hornet in the Beta version of DCS World, 2.5.2"! "So don't buy it unless you wish to run the Beta"!

The good thing, to calm my frustration is that by the time the Hornet can be flown on a stable DCS World, they will have added all the extra weapons (not in the early release) that will make it a complete product!

Edited by Accipiter
clarity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Hi Bob follow this

1. open windows explorer and move to the folder where you have DCS World installed.

2. Select the bin folder, don't open it and hold down the Shift key while right clicking on the bin folder

3. You will then see a menu with either something like "open powershell window here" or "open cmd prompt here", depending upon the version of windows you have. select whichever one you have

4. If it is the cmd variant, go to 5 below. if it is the powershell variant, type "cmd" and hit return

6 click Yes if you need to and that should download the openbeta version of the software and install it over the top of your release version

7. if you need to go back to the release version, repeat steps 1-4 above and then type

I have done and its work

None of the above is even necessary. Just download and install the Beta version if you already have the stable version. The only thing you might have to change is where it gets installed if you don't like the default location the installer uses. If you choose to change its install location, just make sure you don't select the same base "DCS***" folder that the other one is installed in. You will then have two versions of DCS that run independently of each other, and update independently of each other. When you install modules, you will find that you can have modules that you own installed on both (subject to the afforementioned compatibility specifications of a couple of them) without even using an extra activation. No need for command line stuff. Both versions can coexist peacefully and easily on the same machine. :D

Its my understanding that once the Beta is to a point where its reasonably problem free, another update for the stable version will be released that will bring the stable up to the same, basic version (like 2.5.2) as the Beta. At that point, updates continue for the Beta, but the stable stays where it is until the next time ED feels the Beta is ready for prime-time. It seemed counter-intuitive for me too, but with both versions installed now (and I was also convinced they couldn't coexist) I can easily try the new updates and new modules for the Beta, and still go back to the stable when I want to if something gets broken in the Beta.

Nobody is going to have to buy a module twice. :smilewink:

Edited by eaglecash867
Added more info

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi Bob follow this

I have done and its work

Thank you for the post but I just went ahead and installed the Open Beta, works like a Champ!! What a beautiful jet and beautiful scenery, brings back so many memories from the olden days of flying F-18s around. In sims.

Thanks!

HP Omen 870-244, GTX 1080, 32GB DDR4, 1TB OS, 500 GB NVMe SSD, TM Warthog