What's the current situation with the ASP?

Alexander Seil

I haven't touched DCS in a while due to various issues with 1.5 when it initially came out. So, a few months ago I recall there was a lot of disagreement whether the ASP functions realistically, whether it functions according to what's written in the manual and whether the manual matches reality.

So, have recent updates sorted this out? Is it now "stable?" I don't want to put in 40 hours into practicing bombing runs with a gunsight that might see a complete overhaul of its functionality in subsequent patches. All the YouTube videos seem to be a year old, too, so I can't tell what, if anything, has really changed. :joystick:

No you can't use it for bombing realistically.

In the real life you would take the bombing parameters from the table (which we don't have), adjust the gunsight elevation (which doesn't work) and try to fly the bombing profile manually as precisely as possible. Pretty much like it's done in the L-39, just faster.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No you can't use it for bombing realistically.

In the real life you would take the bombing parameters from the table (which we don't have), adjust the gunsight elevation (which doesn't work) and try to fly the bombing profile manually as precisely as possible. Pretty much like it's done in the L-39, just faster.

You can use manual mode to achieve that. Unfortunately in automatic mode there is still a CCIP solution that shouldn't be there. It should be exclusive to game mode.

I bomb in manual mode and depress the pipper to the bottom of the ASP. I do not have any bomb charts though. I try to do steep dives and use the radar in fixed beam mode to get an idea of range to the target.

'Frett'

I'm still trying to figure out manual bombing with the L-39 i suspect it is even harder on the Mig, the F-86 on the other hand is more accurate because of the auto release.

since the Mig-21 is equipped with a radar, does it also have auto release mechanism like the one found on the F-86?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

since the Mig-21 is equipped with a radar, does it also have auto release mechanism like the one found on the F-86?

No.

It allows for calculated impact point delivery of forward firing A/G ordnance (also works without radar turned on, which shouldn't be the case afaik). However, there is no calculated impact point for free fall bombs in any mode. (yet there is CCIP for bombs in the current version, that is I believe the point of the OP).

'Frett'

You can use manual mode to achieve that. Unfortunately in automatic mode there is still a CCIP solution that shouldn't be there. It should be exclusive to game mode.

Ah, so it works only in manual. Makes sense, it's not 100% obvious from the documentation, but I guess the elevation is controlled electrically in auto by the ballistic computer. But it can't compute boms trajectory, only rockets and gun.

You can turn off displaying CCIP solution in MiG-21 special options in settings menu.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

To clarify, I am, of course, asking about the ASP without any gameplay aids. What's utterly confusing to me is that it should be, in principle, possible to provide some sort of rough A-G guidance for "average" bombs and rockets in still weather - you have the altimeter, the speed and the descent rate, which should be enough assuming you're flying over a surface that's flat as a table, so it's not immediately obvious what role the radar's fixed beam mode plays in any of this and how ranging is done.

Does anyone have an original Russian Mig-21bis manual? I only have a manual volume that deals with maintenance and general flight characteristics.

EDIT: I also have an English manual for a training variant, Mig-21UM, not sure how close that would be.

Edited by Alexander Seil

In my opinion a similar table if entry speed, altitude, dive angle and sight settings should be issued.

The Mig-21 module has been released as an advanced model and thus simulation and documentation should reflect this.

I really like the Mig-21 modulr and thus I find emphasise should be on fixing radar and ASP-sight bugs.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

To clarify, I am, of course, asking about the ASP without any gameplay aids. What's utterly confusing to me is that it should be, in principle, possible to provide some sort of rough A-G guidance for "average" bombs and rockets in still weather - you have the altimeter, the speed and the descent rate, which should be enough assuming you're flying over a surface that's flat as a table, so it's not immediately obvious what role the radar's fixed beam mode plays in any of this and how ranging is done.

You also need something to compute the trajectory from this data you listed and present it to the pilot. MiG-21 was not equipped with such device. It's electromechanical ballistic calculator supported only unguided rockets, not bombs. It used information from various sources, radar gave you the best accuracy but it was not mandatory for A2G rocket runs.

You can turn off displaying CCIP solution in MiG-21 special options in settings menu.

Really I thought u only could turn off pipper following locked IR target..?

Never saw an option for CCIP solution in the options for the MiG-21Bis.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Since the very latest 1.5 stable patch I feel the bombing solution has been destroyed and is pretty much useless now. To actually even get to see the pipper now you have to come too close to the ground forcing you to pull such a manouvre that you lose the rest of your stores.

This was not the case before the patch.

Perhaps the MiG-21 didn't have a great bombing solution IRL, but nonetheless I'm unhappy how it is now. Before the latest 1.5 stable patch the bombing worked in a, to me, believable, reliable and somewhat accurate fashion. Much like the SU-25.

Also, something that possibly has something to do with this. Before the patch, a couple of weeks ago, I ran the bombardment training mission. In it, they talk about the "range stick", and how when in level flight, it's all the way to the right. When diving and getting closer to the ground the range stick closed in and you had plenty of time to plan, manouvre and release.

This has also now changed, after the patch. The ranging stick is now not all the way to the right in level flight and it seems jittery and unreliable when going in for a bombing...

Pleeease fix this and go back to how it was before the latest patch.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

Since the very latest 1.5 stable patch I feel the bombing solution has been destroyed and is pretty much useless now. To actually even get to see the pipper now you have to come too close to the ground forcing you to pull such a manouvre that you lose the rest of your stores.

This was not the case before the patch.

Pleeease fix this and go back to how it was before the latest patch.

+1 The bombing pipper is to low down the hud, level bombing is a guess work & you left with insane dive angles, even if "Realistic ASP" is unchecked.

Can LN comment on it, explaining what you have done? the procedure for how to bomb now?

Thanx!

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

My observations from a few quick flights today (bombing only).

The span circle can't be reduced to a pip and can't be altered at all in auto.

A solution in auto still works even after the bombs have gone (it use to return to center).

In manual, the pip use to bob up and down the plumb line and was difficult to use but is now fixed correctly and depresses to 7 deg. which is correct.

In manual bombing, I make my own tables from trials on the range.

In auto I use I a shallow dive at high speed to reduce the G at pull up.

For rockets, I use auto as it is nearer to real life.

At the moment, apart from the span ring, auto looks the same as it was.

For realism, use manual when bombing.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

At the moment, apart from the span ring, auto looks the same as it was.

For realism, use manual when bombing.

I can't agree. Before, I could come in on a relatively shallow angle and high speed and see the pipper in good time. This does not work anymore.

Even in really high angles the pipper is not shown until you're basically too close.

I can't agree. Before, I could come in on a relatively shallow angle and high speed and see the pipper in good time. This does not work anymore.

Even in really high angles the pipper is not shown until you're basically too close.

I'll have another look at it and compare it with a shallow dive vid I did last year.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143738&page=2

The obvious difference is the depress angle is reduced, but that was altered on a previous update.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I flew the aforementioned profile (15 deg dive angle) around 20 times and the results were exactly the same, dead tanks.

Apart from the previously listed points, I find the sight still usable.