How I get 45+ fps in VR (2.5)

dg6546

I think this guide will be for beginner who have just started playing DCS in VR. I have been struggling in this for a year and I think this will be helpful for you. :) Although I know totally no theory behind these settings, this is the best setup for me to balance between graphics and performance. Sorry for my broken English.:book:

Current spec:

8700k + gtx 1080ti

1. Trun V-sync off!

I didn't think this would affect my VR experience. IT DID.

V-sync caps your FPS in 90, which is 45 for each eye in VR headsets. Turn it off helps a lot!!

2. Turn off MSAA

MSAA is such a FPS killer. Surely it gives you much better graphics (especially in cockpit), it is not worth to use too much resources and cause stuttering.

Turn it off in game settings->graphics

3. SteamVR supersampling is different from in-game PD(pixel density) setting

Try lowering PD in Setting->VR to but not lower than 1.2.

If you are still suffering from low fps, tune your resolution in SteamVR settings->application. The value will be between 80-100.

4. Turn your preload radius, trees, clutter and visible range down

No more explain on this. Big impact on performance and make nearly no difference.

Trees: about 80% is enough. The lower the value, the weirder trees popping up.

Clutter/glass: Just shut it off. Big performance hit while you on ground. Tuning down the value only gets weird glass popping up just like trees.

Visible range to medium(or high if you can).

Preload radius to <20000

5. Use this mod!

Credit: Kegetys

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

This mod can limit your machine not to render image outside your vr headset. Also improve on rendering shaders.

For me those setting are enough to get >45 fps (~50 in average)

Nvidia settings are not necessary for me.

Hopefully this will be useful for you. Cheers:thumbup:

1. Trun V-sync off!

I didn't think this would affect my VR experience. IT DID.

V-sync caps your FPS in 90, which is 45 for each eye in VR headsets. Turn it off helps a lot!!

That's not really how it works; 90fps is 90fps rendered in both eyes. I'm now sure what VR headset you're using but if you are using Oculus the capped frame rate is managed by Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) which, if you are unable to render 90fps, will cap fps to 45 and insert composite frames to create the illusion of a higher frame rate.

If you're on Oculus, turn ASW off and you'll let FPS run free between 45 and 90. Doing so will remove any of the artifacting introduced by ASW but you'll see some ghosting. The jury is sort of out on which one is better, seems like personal preference.

Another note - SteamVR is awful, don't use it if you can avoid it and definitely don't use SteamVRs super sampling in addition to the pixel density you can set within DCS.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I think you can run more eye candy than that and still maintain 45.

I get 45fps with the same GPU and a slightly less powerful CPU, and I run PD at 1.5, MSAA at 4x, and similar preload/tree settings. Slightly lower FPS on the ground at times, but mostly stable at 45.

Funny thing was, even with lowest graphics settings, I was still stuck at 45, just with lower GPU usage. I basically added GPU heavy items until usage came closer to 100%, with very little impact on FPS.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thanks for the post! My FPS seems to be capped at 45 no matter what, and now I'm thinking it's some kind of a Vsync. I'm pretty sure it's off in game and in the Nvidia CP. What else can force Vsync?

You are running in ASW. I think 1070 is not powerful enough for DCS (even 1080)

I think you can run more eye candy than that and still maintain 45.

I get 45fps with the same GPU and a slightly less powerful CPU, and I run PD at 1.5, MSAA at 4x, and similar preload/tree settings. Slightly lower FPS on the ground at times, but mostly stable at 45.

Funny thing was, even with lowest graphics settings, I was still stuck at 45, just with lower GPU usage. I basically added GPU heavy items until usage came closer to 100%, with very little impact on FPS.

My graphics card is the zotac mini one... slightly lower core clock so yup :alien:

Getting FPS >45 (not capped at 45 since ASW) is much more fluid for me. I rather it looks uglier than having stutter. It made me feel sick.

That's not really how it works; 90fps is 90fps rendered in both eyes. I'm now sure what VR headset you're using but if you are using Oculus the capped frame rate is managed by Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) which, if you are unable to render 90fps, will cap fps to 45 and insert composite frames to create the illusion of a higher frame rate.

If you're on Oculus, turn ASW off and you'll let FPS run free between 45 and 90. Doing so will remove any of the artifacting introduced by ASW but you'll see some ghosting. The jury is sort of out on which one is better, seems like personal preference.

Another note - SteamVR is awful, don't use it if you can avoid it and definitely don't use SteamVRs super sampling in addition to the pixel density you can set within DCS.

I have looked at this online before and I can tell it is totally wrong. I know no theory behind this but as soon as I turned off vsync, my FPS is not capped at 45 anymore.

I had a rift but unfortunately it was broken. Now I own a vive and I must use steamVR (Facepalm)

For Oculus Rift users:

To enable ASW, press right CTRL and numpad 4 while in-game.

To disable ASW, press right CTRL and numpad 1 while in-game.

Test with it on and off. A quick way to tell which works better for you is to look straight down at the ground while flying over a town. If the image is stuttering when you look down at the town and its buildings, you probably need to press right CTRL and numpad 4. If it's nice and smooth, you can probably go ahead and press right CTRL and numpad 1.

• 1 month later...

Anybody else notice a drop in clarity following the recent hotfix? I certainly have. Installed a 1070ti two days before hotfix and turned up the details and was pleased with the results then following the hotfix shimmer is back and visuals not good.

Edited by FA_Crazy-Canuck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anybody else notice a drop in clarity following the recent hotfix? I certainly have. Installed a 1070ti two before hotfix and turned up the details and was pleased with the results then following the hotfix shimmer is back and visual not so good.

Actually initially yes but after about 30 minutes or so flying NTTR and Caucasus maps DCS is looking and preforming pretty good. Actually for me DCS in Rift VR got better 2 updates ago, I don't know what or why it just looks and feels better to fly in.

Have you deleted the FXO and metashaders directories, that sometimes can help.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

2. Turn off MSAA

MSAA is such a FPS killer. Surely it gives you much better graphics (especially in cockpit), it is not worth to use too much resources and cause stuttering.

Turn it off in game settings->graphics

It never ceases to amaze me how many people suggest this. Maybe our eyes work differently?

IMHO, DCS in VR without MSAA is just not acceptable: the shimmering and jaggies are dreadful and completely ruin the experience.

I've just gone from a 1070 to a 1080Ti, and still it is very difficult to get 90 fps in VR with 4xMSAA (and that's with very little going on).

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

It never ceases to amaze me how many people suggest this. Maybe our eyes work differently?

IMHO, DCS in VR without MSAA is just not acceptable: the shimmering and jaggies are dreadful and completely ruin the experience.

I've just gone from a 1070 to a 1080Ti, and still it is very difficult to get 90 fps in VR with 4xMSAA (and that's with very little going on).

I have to agree. Even at PD 2.0, I still have shimmering and jaggies that make my eyes bleed.

I'd much rather run PD 1.0 with MSAA on.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I did try this but it didn't do anything for Rift so back to 4* MSAA.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Disabling shadows completely seems to help.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

That’s odd. I don’t notice shimmering at MSAA x2. As above, for me, looks terrible with no MSAA.

Do try turning off shadows. I was sure that improved frame rates.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

And my latest testing 2.5.0.15365.345 v 2.5.3.24436. All settings the same, same mission, 4xMSAA, PD 1.3., all other settings mostly low.

DEFERRED SHADING OFF in 2.5.0.

You want > 45 fps - here's a clue (I wish there was some way I could have forward rendering back.)

944674146_dcs2.5.0.15365.345benchmarkgtx1080Ti20181121_01.thumb.png.97df054f5e78c15d6840f05d2f1e5cac.png

2070479865_dcs2.5.3.24436benchmarkgtx1080Ti20181121_01.thumb.png.96a4a8a9c865e0e27f5dee84dcabf0f4.png

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals