Any chance of cockpit textures upgrade? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
Raisuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Karma-701 View Post
Since it inst really that old compared to some other modules if they spent the time to re texture, I hope they'd Modify it into the F-5EM. and relegate the US based E model to FC3 level.
I don't need that much glass. I'd take an F-5N or two, though. The AN/APG-69 is a huge step forward.
Raisuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
nessuno0505

With all my respect to everyone, but I think it does not worth to ask ED/BST for an upgraded version. The F-5 is a finished module and it is F-5E3. On the other hand, to ask for updated cockpit textures is worths and needed: if you try to fly the f-5 by night you'll soon realize that it is not optimized for the new 2.5 rendering engine, and something must be done, sooner or later.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Ralphk

yeah i noticed this as i am trying to learn the module now... cockpit texture and lighting sucks!
Ralphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Nealius

The cockpit textures look fine to me. It's the exterior lighting that needs work. The anti-coll light is seizure inducing.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
Chuck_Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Karma-701 View Post
Since it inst really that old compared to some other modules if they spent the time to re texture, I hope they'd Modify it into the F-5EM. and relegate the US based E model to FC3 level.
While I'd love to see an F-5EM, this would almost certainly require a lengthy development time and the re-writing of a lot of code. It isn't just quality of life upgrades, but almost an entirely new aircraft in the shell of the original F-5E.

Per Wikipedia, the F-5EM includes no less than the following upgrades, which are extensive.
- Grifo F radar in a larger nose section
- INS/GPS
- Aerial refueling system
- Electronic warfare systems
- HOTAS
- Glass cockpit displays and HMD
- RWR
- Encrypted comms
- NVG compatibility
- OBOGS

It would come down to producing almost an entirely new module.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
brianjmac

The F-5 has become a regretable purchase for me. The quality really is subpar but what is most dissapointing is that there are no plans to bring it up to better standards. DCS as a whole is forever evolving and improving. The same should apply to the aircraft. It seems like you buy an aircraft and fly for a bit but it is soon outdated and unsupported.
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel i5-7600K @4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11GB | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4/3200MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB and 250GB | ASUS Prime Z270-A | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 | Dell 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz GSYNC | Saitek X-55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset
brianjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 AM   #17
000rick000

Surely you mean visual only subpar? Yeah it's not PBR. If you're only after visuals "War Thunder" exists. I find the F-5E to be a great module. It's actual really good. From a flight model standpoint and from a training standpoint. Like the T-38, if you can fly this jet well in formation, and employ it in AA and AG all the other aircraft you fly will fall in line. Teaches good BFM cross checks, especially fuel management. I really like the F-5.

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
DmitriKozlowsky

F-5EM upgrade would be cool, and welcomed. But this is F-5E-3 sim module. Is it not? Not F-5EM. F-5E is a VFR aka daylight fighter/attack. It has no night/all weather attack sensor & avionic suite. No radar altimeter, no AG radar (not even locked beam ), no guided AG missile, no self lasing, no TPOD, no FLIR, not even night vision goggles, nor NVG compatible cockpit lighting. AG rocket delivery computer gets 'confused' when carrying different rockets on separate stations. In that case manual DEPR does not really work. No ILS. TACAN approaches in bad weather or night. Otherwise its all visual. Radar is OK for terminal intercept. I have never seen it detect anything airborne in 40nm search mode. At 20 nm search it works. 5nm and 10nm dogfight modes are fine.
At night, over PG water, with no horizon due to clouds, it must be flown on instruments head down. Formation lights, nav lights, and even anti-col strobe don't look right. Anti-col light is also not occluded by geometry.
However its range is quite good. Good loiter time above 20K.
Against Gen 4 opponent , not much of a chance. no ECM and limited countermeasures good maybe for single missile evasion. Only two AA missiles. But AIM-9P5 is all aspect , and I suspect its internal code and PK is same as DCS AIM-9M. I have little trouble killing SU-24M , even when Fencers have R-60M for self defense.
It is a daylight platform and that is that.
That said, ED could maybe add NVG and compatible cockpit/instrument lighting. Helmet mounted NVG don't require any special sensors on the aircraft, just lighting that is green/amber filtered.

IMHO, F-5E module is a MUST or HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, for serious DCS pilot. It should be paired with sophisticated Gen 4 module such as A-10C, M2KC, and AV8B/NA. Learn and practice on F-5E, then transition to A-10C, M2KC, or AV8B/NA. My favorite and #1 module currently is AV8B/NA. I am holding off F/A-18C, as it is not complete, and I own M2KC module but have not learned it. If I am away from DCS for more then a week, I first warm up by flying F-5E missions.
For certain, for those who find FC3 a bit too simplistic, but A-10C, M2KC, and AV-8B/NA as more then a handfull managing avionics, sensors, weapons, while flying, F-5E is the module to have fun with. Flight model is excellent. Handling characteristics are realistic but easy and straightforward. Cross-wind T/O and landing do require old school stick & rudder skill. T/D require careful settling rates to avoid damage. I have zero regrets having bought F-5E. It was on sale for $24, and it was money well spent. Good job ED/BST.
If ED/BST offer an avionic upgrade module to F-5EM suite, I'd get that. Mirroring a real world mid-life upgrade that F-5E in Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwn(ROC), ROK (S. Korea), and NATO air forces underwent.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmac View Post
The F-5 has become a regretable purchase for me. The quality really is subpar but what is most dissapointing is that there are no plans to bring it up to better standards. DCS as a whole is forever evolving and improving. The same should apply to the aircraft. It seems like you buy an aircraft and fly for a bit but it is soon outdated and unsupported.
Really mates, sometimes I can't understand people letting statements like this without further prove or something to support such a claim. F-5 still gets updates and patches every now and then, model is more than finished and this little aircraft is such a joy to fly. I mean, when you get a F-5 I have to guess people know what they are buying, a 70's barely supersonic light fighter with limited ground attack capabilities built to fulfil third World needs mostly or training purposes, and so that's exactly what you get when buying this module. Indeed we get one of the latest variants of the model, I can't imagine what the comments would be should we got the F-5A radarless Vietnam era variant, dissapointing? disgusting? crapyard material?

The module is AWESOME, the aircraft itself is what it is and module gets that to the slightest detail, it's a really fun ride and nice to master either for light combat or just for a stroll. Cockpit could be better? I don't think so, didn't notice last time I sat in a real F-5 cockpit and everything was there exactly the same, but newer lighting features would be welcome, fine and agree while it's not such a big deal in order to enjoy the module. Better textures? Well, any overhauling would be welcome, but the model is good enough and I don't see where it is such an old and outdated one, my GTX1080 doesn't let me see any further, sorry, maybe you all game @8K 60" monitors and ultrahigh textures I can't see . Not only that, I don't know of any other sim offering this kind of aircraft in such a high quality and fidelity to compare and say this one is so bad as you say.

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 12-10-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurlimann View Post
Hi

Considering that the A-10 and the P-51 are getting new textures, is there any plans to revisit the F-5 cockpit as well? While the textures are definitely not bad, when coming back from flying the hornet it is just obvious that they are not as good as in the latest cockpits. Would be a shame to let this wonderful module get old texture wise.

thanks!

Agree!
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote