Weekend update Panther tanks

Kev2go

so panther model looks nice. AUSF G , yeah?

Panther.jpg

but will we get a version with sideskirts installed? I realize due to parts shortages not all panthers had them bolted on ( or some torn off in combat), bust still nice to have, as application of them was a based on factory specifications, therefore considered standard issue, not a field mod.

apart from giving some extra protection in the area between the hull and tracks, it sure looks much more pleasing, like a complete tank. :thumbup:

PanzerV_Ausf.G_1_sk.jpg

Panther%2001.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I like it better without the side skirts. The top line of the track is much more visually appealing. I say no...don't need no girly skirt that makes it look like a toy even in IRL.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I like it better without the side skirts. The top line of the track is much more visually appealing. I say no...don't need no girly skirt that makes it look like a toy even in IRL.

why not both.....

to me that huge gap between track and the hull looks off. sideskirts make it look more complete Tiger 1 has its skirts why cant the panther? Panther looks nothing like a toy tank. wut??? The Panther Is the grandaddy of the MBT. It put mediums like the Sherman and T34 to shame. capabilities and looks wise.

Besides sideskirts did serve a purpose To hide that gap, and therefore protecting it from shaped charged warheads that could be fired from a portable anti tank launcher like the Bazooka or PIAT. causing them to detonate prematurely. and lessen chances of penetration in that area.

anyways regardig other armor also hoping we see the king tiger

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Panther Is the grandaddy of the MBT. It put mediums like the Sherman and T34 to shame. capabilities and looks wise.

Granddaddy? Surely the T34 holds that title - two years earlier than the Panther, and definitely the first appearance of sloped armour and Christie suspension. The Panther just took the best of the T34 and ran with it. Have to agree though the Panther wins the armour beauty contest hands down - with or without the miniskirt!

Something that just occurred to me, are there going to be standard 'blank' templates for the tanks, for modders to create other paint schemes?

If so, it would also be awesome to have a system like the bort-numbers for aircraft, but for turret-numbers and unit insignias.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Granddaddy? Surely the T34 holds that title - two years earlier than the Panther, and definitely the first appearance of sloped armour and Christie suspension. The Panther just took the best of the T34 and ran with it. Have to agree though the Panther wins the armour beauty contest hands down - with or without the miniskirt!

sloped armor alone doesnt make one automatically grandady of the MBT.... so no... the T34 is not the grandaddy of the mbt any more than the M4 Sherman. Panther was simply a next gen design. compared to both those tanks. Panther utilized technologies that made it a step up from those designs, and had some features that would not be seen in western or russian tank designs until some years post ww2.

The panthers combined more than just impressive sloped frontal armor, but good armament( the KWK 42 75mm was more powerful than the 88mm kwk36 on the Tiger 1) ,as well as technologies, and a good balance of mobility. The Optics on the Panther were one of the best. , Panther Gs had chemical filtration suite to protect from poison gas weapons ( basically a forerunner to NBC protection systems), as as well as some being fitted with infrared night fighting devices,; something that would not show up until the 50s-60s on western designs. So yea the Panther is very much the grandaddy of the MBT. At least the characteristics represented in Western Philosophy of one.

also for beautiful comparison : Panther (Center) meets his kid (Right) and Grandkid (Left) ;)

wlvb7N9.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Already planned

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2828056#post2828056

I hope that the combined arms part of DCS WWII will be fun! We haven't seen any screens of allied tanks yet though but I'm sure those are in the works.

Really nice.

also hats off to ED for giving the Tiger 2 its Sideskirts.

Heres to wondering if theyl include the M26 Pershing as a Allied US tank, since it only saw limited use in the late 45.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

why not both.....

to me that huge gap between track and the hull looks off. sideskirts make it look more complete Tiger 1 has its skirts why cant the panther? Panther looks nothing like a toy tank. wut??? The Panther Is the grandaddy of the MBT. It put mediums like the Sherman and T34 to shame. capabilities and looks wise.

Besides sideskirts did serve a purpose To hide that gap, and therefore protecting it from shaped charged warheads that could be fired from a portable anti tank launcher like the Bazooka or PIAT. causing them to detonate prematurely. and lessen chances of penetration in that area.

anyways regardig other armor also hoping we see the king tiger

Check the roadmap, some tanks confirmed

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

I would be a bit surprised if they included the M-26 Pershing as its been said that the Normandy map is supposed to be just after the invasion. It's just an assumption, so it certainly could be wrong, but I imagine that they would keep most ground units to be from around that timeline. That being said, it would be nice to have some later units for mission designers to make late war scenarios. I figure most of the allied tanks will be shermans and some TD's (maybe hellcats or wolverines?) with the possibility of British tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get British tanks. Either way I can't wait to see everything integrated!

I would be a bit surprised if they included the M-26 Pershing as its been said that the Normandy map is supposed to be just after the invasion.
Yes, but so so. Still first Bf109K4 were released in November IIRC, so it's a post-D-Day map but that doesn't mean it cannot go forward into 1945. Of course I'm not sure every unit will be included, but more probably than not they won't at least at map release. Devs cannot model everything I guess.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I would be a bit surprised if they included the M-26 Pershing as its been said that the Normandy map is supposed to be just after the invasion. It's just an assumption, so it certainly could be wrong, but I imagine that they would keep most ground units to be from around that timeline. That being said, it would be nice to have some later units for mission designers to make late war scenarios. I figure most of the allied tanks will be shermans and some TD's (maybe hellcats or wolverines?) with the possibility of British tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get British tanks. Either way I can't wait to see everything integrated!

yes its Normanyd map, but its from 1944 up to 1945. so may be possible. Like pointed out the K4 was introduced late in 44, and was not avialbe for use during June 6 Dday or immediate battles that took place afterwards.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Good to see these big ticket tank models, but I do hope that we have a varied mix of the more mundane and routine type vehicles present in 1944, e.g. period trucks, half tracks, gun tractors , AAA, cars, etc. , including civilian versions. Horse and cart would also be great. Nothing quite as unrealistic as Normandy swarming with King Tigers.

Ya I hope they branch out and include more options for all the reasons you guys mentioned. I would be very pleased if they did the major ground units up to the end of the war so we can have a variety of scenarios. I just try to temper my expectations, that way if I'm wrong I get more excited :thumbup:

Check the roadmap, some tanks confirmed

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

Sad to not see any PzKpfw-IV's, Stug-III's, SdKfz-251's, nor any allied fighting vehicles at all :(

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

That list is what has been mentioned in posts or development pictures and is not actually an "internal" list created by ED. Since ED has not talked about nor shown allied vehicles (aside from a WWII truck and B17) there will be nothing on the roadmap made by Silver Dragon. It is sill a great list to look at because Silver Dragon does such a good job to keep it updated when new stuff is announced or shown.

Sloped armor wasnt anything new, and in fact it has been used long before. Often however, mostly likely because of internal space considerations and the lack of really powerful AT weapons, they could opt for simpler vertical plates.

As for how original the T-34 itself was, take a look at the French FCM 36... familiar lines? The T-34 did little more than to took progression one step further into a more potent BT series like fast tank and then evolved from there, and as we can see, with strong French roots - the V2 diesel itself was based on a French airship diesel engine.

In fact the Panther took very little from the T-34, apart from the general hull shape which was strongly inspired and carried over of course, with a lots of rethink. The Panther for example has a front drive, torsion bar suspension with interleaved large road wheels (giving its famous riding characteristics) fuel tanks in the rear sides of the engine, a mid turret with a turret basket and ammo in the sponsoons and escape hatches at the top of the hull, and of course retained the petrol engine.

In comparison the T-34 had the fuel in the sloped sides, ammo under the frontal mounted turret and without a turret basket, with the rear mostly occupied by a giant diesel engine and a rear drive, a rather simplistic Christie suspension with basic breaking/turning methods.

As for the Christie suspension, it wasnt favoured, largely because it gave poor suspension characteristics and eats up the hull sides a lot, and even in the Panther, eventually everyone went with torsion bar suspension until replaced by hydraulic suspension in the latest MBTs.

FCM36_0643.jpg

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

They cant show you everything at once, your head would explode ;)

Wait! I have to ask first ..

kRp6Zjw_700wa_0.gif

Okay, I'll risk it. Let it rain on me!

WdNjado_700wa_0.gif

:D

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler