Having a hard time with the radar

bkthunder

Hi guys, I'm having a really hard time trying to spot, lock and shoot down targets in the F-18 right now.

I confess I haven't dug deeply into the natops, but given the basic AA radar functions we have now, I think it's pretty straightforward and I should be able to fight much better than this.

The main issue is, it seems, the radar is just losing targets and losing lock very easily.

For example, I have 2 F-15's flying a constant heading/speed/altitude in front of me, I see the two blips on the scope, then after another scan, the targets disappear and the radar doesn't "see" them anymore. Yet, they are still exactly where they were before.

If I manage to lock one up, a slight bank on my side makes me loose the lock.

Another example is a dogfight: I am close in behind a MiG-15, have the radar in vertical acquisition mode, the MiG-15 right in the middle of the hud, yet my radar has an incredibly hard time getting a lock, something on the F-15 I would have instantly...

Same with the other ACM modes.

I don't know, is it just me, the F-18 has a crappy radar, or is the radar heavily WIP and I should just keep away from AA for a while??

Thanks

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I'm having a really hard time trying to spot, lock and shoot down targets in the F-18 right now.

I confess I haven't dug deeply into the natops, but given the basic AA radar functions we have now, I think it's pretty straightforward and I should be able to fight much better than this.

The main issue is, it seems, the radar is just losing targets and losing lock very easily.

For example, I have 2 F-15's flying a constant heading/speed/altitude in front of me, I see the two blips on the scope, then after another scan, the targets disappear and the radar doesn't "see" them anymore. Yet, they are still exactly where they were before.

If I manage to lock one up, a slight bank on my side makes me loose the lock.

Another example is a dogfight: I am close in behind a MiG-15, have the radar in vertical acquisition mode, the MiG-15 right in the middle of the hud, yet my radar has an incredibly hard time getting a lock, something on the F-15 I would have instantly...

Same with the other ACM modes.

I don't know, is it just me, the F-18 has a crappy radar, or is the radar heavily WIP and I should just keep away from AA for a while??

Thanks

Hi BKthunder,

You are not alone. I have the same issues as well. Hoping someone could shed some light on this will be appreciated.

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

dont compare the lock time in acm mode with fc aircrafts or even other "full real modules" like the mirage, because it seems that the f18 radar is the only one simulating the up abd down movement while in vertical mode....so you have to wait until the antenna finds the target...and you cannot use the vertical mode for quick 60° scans while rolling the plane like in the other modules....the hornets locking mechanism is the most realistic one in dcs but this comes with disadvantages against all other planes...

dont compare the lock time in acm mode with fc aircrafts or even other "full real modules" like the mirage, because it seems that the f18 radar is the only one simulating the up abd down movement while in vertical mode....so you have to wait until the antenna finds the target...and you cannot use the vertical mode for quick 60° scans while rolling the plane like in the other modules....the hornets locking mechanism is the most realistic one in dcs but this comes with disadvantages against all other planes...

I see your point, but if it was just related to the antenna moving up and down, this wouldn't happen in boresight mode (forgot what it's called in the F-18). But it happens even when the radar is pointing straight ahead. It just takes a very long time to lock, and sometimes doesn't lock at all.

I have a feeling the real one performs a little better than this, but I'm happy to see I'm not the only with such difficulties.

OT/ I'm sure they will sort it out and we will finally have a properly simulated radar in DCS, something I've been waiting for years and years. I also hope they will somehow make the FC3 radars a little less of an all-seeing laser beam :) /OT

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

the hornets locking mechanism is the most realistic one in dcs but this comes with disadvantages against all other planes...

OT/ I'm sure they will sort it out and we will finally have a properly simulated radar in DCS, something I've been waiting for years and years. I also hope they will somehow make the FC3 radars a little less of an all-seeing laser beam :) /OT

That is exactly what worries me currently! :cry: I have no problem with a "realistic" radar on the F/A-18C, but, and that is a big but, if any other FC3 plane or DCS level module has it "unrealistic" as in "superior lock time, better lock in general and perfect acquisition modes" what would be the result?

Everybody flying F-15C and Su-27 again? Or "Hornet only"-servers?

If that current performance is how it is IRL and not related to WIP, we definitely need to reduce the accuracy of the "arcade" FC3 radars... which on the other hand will leave a lot(!) of FC3 players very unhappy.

I had the assumption, that with a realistic radar you should be capable to stand your ground against a MiG-29 or Su-27... :(

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That is exactly what worries me currently! :cry: I have no problem with a "realistic" radar on the F/A-18C, but, and that is a big but, if any other FC3 plane or DCS level module has it "unrealistic" as in "superior lock time, better lock in general and perfect acquisition modes" what would be the result?

If that current performance is how it is IRL and not related to WIP, we definitely need to reduce the accuracy of the "arcade" FC3 radars... which on the other hand will leave a lot(!) of FC3 players very unhappy.

I had the assumption, that with a realistic radar you should be capable to stand your ground against a MiG-29 or Su-27... :(

Yeah I agree - and if the F-14 comes out with a radar closer in in-game performance to the Mirage's than the F/A-18C's (and the 18 doesn't get improvements), then I have a feeling the Hornet is going to be the red-headed step-child of PVP. It could end up just being used as a faster A-10C, rather than a true multi-role plane.

Isn't the FA-18's radar on par with the F-16's, and thus inferior to the radar of the F-15 or F-14? Bigger radome, bigger, more powerful radar?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Having the same problems and not believing it all to be fully realistic but rather not yet honed out WIP.

What kills it most for me is the inability of current STT to keep lock while maneuvering:

F-Pole jousting is impossible, even when trying to maneuver smoothly, the lock (and Sparrow) will always be lost way prior to reaching gimbal limits.

I see your point, but if it was just related to the antenna moving up and down, this wouldn't happen in boresight mode (forgot what it's called in the F-18). But it happens even when the radar is pointing straight ahead. It just takes a very long time to lock, and sometimes doesn't lock at all

the lock process takes about 1~2 seconds for all acm modes abd in bvr for my experience...qualitatively this is realisitc but i dont know the real amount of time...notching targets are hard ir impossible to lock even in biresight mode...some tests would be usefull for that...

one advantage of the f18 radar compared to others is the ability to slew the radar in lock mode and it will find and lock any target within the beam and up to the max radar range...

Seriously FFS can we stop this crap of comparing to FC3 etc when the module and especially the radar are all WIP.. doh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gifmegalol.gif !!!

This above for now....:D

We might see eventually....? A big bump with the tech in many areas of all the aircraft to bring them inline.

People will still scream about amraam this and amraam that:D

Continue...;)

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Seriously FFS can we stop this crap of comparing to FC3 etc when the module and especially the radar are all WIP.. :doh::doh::doh::huh::huh::megalol: !!!

the basic new mechanics in the lock mechanism will not change IMO...i guess some W will be IP to improve the lock stability, and slave antenna to tdc angle in tws and hopefully also in rws....

Couple of things to aide in the radar usage....

Click on the horizontal azimuth OSB and set it to 60 degrees.

Click on the OSB and set the scan rate to 4 bars.

Next you want to click on the OSB for DATA and then in the top right change the number to 16 or 32. That is how long the memory will keep a target in the "system" before dropping it.

This is how I fly most flights and I generally don't have any issues picking up aircraft and staying locked. I will change the vertical and horizontal scan rate depending on what I am looking for and if I know a close approximation as to where a target is.

For instance if I am looking for an SU-27 flying low, and I got a recent BRA call, I will set the scan rate to 20 degrees with 1-2 bar vertical scan.

Since this is a more modeled radar system you have to get into the habit of operating the radar itself. You now also know why so many aircraft have dedicated radar operators in the back seat....

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Sorry, but that´s wrong. In real life this radar (APG-65) achieves lock-on in ACM-modes VERY quickly. The currently used time is way too high and will be fixed. See the bug section.

Do we have a member or two who has acually flown or worked with this aircraft? Maybe they could chip in here.

If I am not mistaken, a member who has flown IRL a plane with the APG-65 radar has already replied.

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

If I am not mistaken, a member who has flown IRL a plane with the APG-65 radar has already replied.

who?

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Having the same problems and not believing it all to be fully realistic but rather not yet honed out WIP.

What kills it most for me is the inability of current STT to keep lock while maneuvering:

F-Pole jousting is impossible, even when trying to maneuver smoothly, the lock (and Sparrow) will always be lost way prior to reaching gimbal limits.

The M-2000C has been there during development.

Guys, you bought an early access module, don't expect it to be at the top of its game from the start :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I have targets at the same level as I am, who disappear suddenly and not come back until I am hit by their missile (I am not moving or banking at all!). I thought that I was doing something wrong, but this is happening time after time even after I read the radar chapter in the quick manual twice.. There is no way a real F-18 can act like this. Dropping targets that are coming level and head on to you is not acceptable. I think there is a bug somewhere with something but I cannot put my finger on it..

I have targets at the same level as I am, who disappear suddenly and not come back until I am hit by their missile (I am not moving or banking at all!). I thought that I was doing something wrong, but this is happening time after time even after I read the radar chapter in the quick manual twice.. There is no way a real F-18 can act like this. Dropping targets that are coming level and head on to you is not acceptable. I think there is a bug somewhere with something but I cannot put my finger on it..

Post a trackfile, there are many things you could be doing wrong, unknowingly, that is leading to the issue you are seeing.

Also reference my previous post, I do not experience the issues you are seeing when operating the radar.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT