Chuck's DCS: F/A-18C Guide

Charly_Owl

Excellent work. Thank you.

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Does anyone have a Warthog HOTAS profile, I'm having issues getting TDC to bind to axis; can't slew to any targets :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SPECS:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 MoBo, Intel i7 3820 CPU, 16GB Corsair Dominator Ram, MSI GFX 680 Twin Frozr 4GB, OCZ 250GB SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD, OCZ 700watt PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler, Win7 Pro 64, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog FLT Controls, Saitek Combat Rudder Peddles, TrackIR5/Pro-clip

Thanks for this amazing manual Chuck, this is really helping me learn the systems on this fantastic aircraft. I've noticed two tiny typos on Page 84 Shore Landing VFR ...

Point 4. "... try to do pull a number of Gs" etc

Should this be ... "... try to pull a number of Gs" etc

Point 5. "Slow down to 250kts at fly at 600 ft

I guess this should be ...

"Slow down to 250kts and fly at 600ft"

I hope this is not too trivial

Many thanks

Great piece of work!

One small(?) request. Would it be possible to add the proper trim settings for carrier takeoffs depending on AC weight? I´ve no idea if this is best placed in the Startup section or Carrier takeoff, but I think it´ll help people getting those nice hands-off carrier launches. :)

There is a revision history available on the Mudspike page: http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Also, I can't take donations since the Eagle Dynamics End-User License Agreement forbids it.

"All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, narrative, locations, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audiovisual effects, methods of operation, any related documentation, and add-ons incorporated into the Program now or in the future) are owned by TFC, affiliates of TFC or TFC's licensors.

[...]

Except as expressly set out in this Licence or in clauses 4.1 and 4.2 below, or as permitted by any local law, you undertake to use the Program for your own personal use, and you shall not:

[...]

(e) exploit this Program or any of its parts commercially"

Edited by Charly_Owl

Thank You!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Thanks for the great guide! I like them a lot. For all my aircraft I use your guide cause it helps me to understand the procedures in a clear way. I have one question. Is the table on page 29 right? I thought slighty slow and slow should be changed with each other. But maybe I am wrong of course. I'm quite a newbie with the hornet ;)

Just a little heads up: I added IFF section in Radar & Sensors section, updated the radio tutorial, radar section, carrier operation procedures, catapult takeoff trim table, and AoA Indexer tables. Revision is dated 21/06/2018.

Thanks so much!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks, Chuck, awesome as always!

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Awesome work again, Chuck, thank you so much for your huge contribution to this community!

I'm not yet through in depth, but so far came across the following:

(re.: Rev.21/06/2018 )

- I was looking at the Carrier Ops Parts 5&6 and couldn't find the carrier takeoff weight trim table.

I found it on p.72 in the Start-Up Procedure where it makes sense as well - but maybe you could add it repeatedly or at least reference it in Part 5.

I know the relevant pages are already cramped, but personally I wouldn't consider it bad form to just copy the whole p.72, give it a new header and repeat it completely somewhere between p.77-80.

- max. trap weight 33.000 lbs should be mentioned somewhere in Part 6.

- p.91 2.: No Landing Lights at all and no other ext. lights during daytime in carrier ops!

- p.93 9.: You correctly state to forget about airspeed later in p.95 Pic.10 - but in consequence, you shouldn't mention "140-150" kts when discussing on-speed AoA here.

Being below max. trap weight will always give you less than 140 kts, maybe better leave any speed values out completely here.

- p.97 bottom right: "AoA Indexer and the Meatball both telling you that I am too fast."

correct: AoA Indexer telling you are too fast, Meatball telling you are too low.

Meatball can't tell anything about speed, only about glidepath.

- p.99 14.: reads as if selecting full MIL was the only standard practice.

I think in the lecacy Hornet there were many cases and good reasons to go full AB upon touchdown, e.g. turbulence (possible windshear) or slower acceleration due to increased drag by external stores (empty tanks & racks).

Maybe change it to read selecting "at least" full MILL or go AB, depending on circumstances.

- Somewhere in Part 6 you maybe should mention the importance of wind speed across deck for carrier landing ops.

A new user or server host setting up his mission with stationary ship and no wind will run into trouble because some of the concepts (e.g. start turn abeam Rounddown or aim for Crotch) don't apply in this case.

Youtuber Lex Talionis mentions a desirable wind speed across deck of 25-30 kts through accumulated wind and ship speeds.

Edited by Shadoga

I didn't see it, but has anyone mentioned that the seat should be safe until you are on the runway threshold, not armed as soon as you get in the jet.

Its step 1 in Start up Procedures, arming the seat. Step 1 should be making sure it's safed.

edit: Page 60.

Edited by ThorHammer

thank you for the guide. Can please anyone explain the whole AoA indexer thing again? for me it seems all the other way around as described in the guide. p 28...the AoA is the angle between the W symbol and the velocity vector...the AoA bracket shows the best AoA for landings, between 7,4 and 8,8 degree. with increasing speed the AoA decreases right? So when the velocity vector is above the bracket im too fast right? the guide is not consistent: in the screenshot the symbol shows the green lines above the yellow circle in the AoA indexer when the AoA is too small. the table to the right says this symbol lights ub with too high AoA and is called slow although the correponding speed in the screenshot is too high (163).. additionally the order from on speed to fast in the table is not consistent with the order from on speed to slow...

I think the table should be corrected by the following: fast symbol should be slow. slighly fast symbol should be slighly slow, slighly slow symbol should be fast. slow symbol should be slighly fast.

Charly_Owl thank you very much

There is a revision history available on the Mudspike page: http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Also, I can't take donations since the Eagle Dynamics End-User License Agreement forbids it.

"All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, narrative, locations, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audiovisual effects, methods of operation, any related documentation, and add-ons incorporated into the Program now or in the future) are owned by TFC, affiliates of TFC or TFC's licensors.

[...]

Except as expressly set out in this Licence or in clauses 4.1 and 4.2 below, or as permitted by any local law, you undertake to use the Program for your own personal use, and you shall not:

[...]

(e) exploit this Program or any of its parts commercially"

Charly_Ow

Thank you very much for all that work and hours you have spent simply to help me and this community.

You definitely deserve a lot of appreciation:book:

JB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel® Core™ i7-6850 CPU@3.60GHz @4.068

Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX Motherboard

64 bit operation System- RAM 32.0 GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OC 8GB

- Disk Drives KINGSTON SVP200S37A 1tb/WDC WD 10EZEX-00ZF5A0 - Samsung ssd 1tb 840 series.

- 3 Samsung 27"SyncMaster 3D Game monitors - Windows 8.1 Pro - TM Hotas Warthog-Trackir5 pro-Saitek Rudder Pedals-Cougar MFD.

Just WOW!

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

...So when the velocity vector is above the bracket im too fast right?...

Not necessarily. It depends on what you did to get it there.

The chevron above the circle (green) is pointing down to tell you to reduce your AoA. The red chevron below the circle pointing up is telling you to increase your AoA. Think of it that way it's far less confusing.

The Navy uses the chevrons to indicate the direction in which you need to move the AoA. Just to confuse things, the Air Force, uses the chevrons to indicate the direction in which you need to move your speed.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

My Logitech 3D pro will not fire weapons? Everything else works fine help?

I have 24 products and all work fine except the F/18c. I can not fire any weapons with my Logitech 3D pro. Thought it was the stick but it works well with all other products . Help