Frigate landing training mission.

I tried the "Courier" mission, in which you have to land on a Frigate.

I managed to do it, but damaging the front gear.

Have you got a training mission just to try Frigate landing without doing all the mission from start? I admit it, I can't use the mission editor… :music_whistling:

Time to learn mission editor.

Agreed!

That's the perfect opportunity: There's a clearly defined task, and it should only take a few minutes to set this up.

I know the ME looks daunting at first, but the icon with a ship on it and the icon with a chopper on it are pretty self explanatory, and most of the dialog that pops up as soon as a unit is placed is also pretty straightforward really.

And then, when one starts to add some spice to the mission, like a different time of day, different weather, maybe some ambient traffic... it's really easy to get hooked. :thumbup:

@nessuno0505, if you need any help in particular, let us know.

Yes! I've done both the mission... and the landing!

In autumn rainy weather!

Now it's time to add some feature, in order to better learn the editor.

For example:

- is it possible to assign an ATC channel to the frigate, in order to ask for landing during approach?

- how can I make the frigate to shoot some signal flare when I approach? In "courier" mission they do such way.

I'd like to add something else, I don't know, I'm thinking about it...

- is it possible to assign an ATC channel to the frigate, in order to ask for landing during approach?

I thought it was, but couldn't find a way to do it; I couldn't even set ATC freq for a carrier. Hopefully someone else knows how to achieve this, if it's even possible.

- how can I make the frigate to shoot some signal flare when I approach? In "courier" mission they do such way.

That one is quite simple. :)

You need:

- your chopper

- the frigate

- a trigger zone with the appropriate size, let's call it "flare zone"

Now the steps are as follows:

- Create a new trigger ("Set rules for trigger", the icon located just below the weather icon)

-- Type: once

-- Event: No Event

- Conditions:

-- Unit inside moving zone

--- Unit: your chopper

--- Zone: "flare zone"

--- Zone Unit: the frigate

- Actions:

-- Signal Flare on Unit

--- Unit: the frigate

--- Color: your choice :)

--- Bearing: your choice :)

And that should be it. Note that this will only work once. If you want to launch a flare whenever the chopper goes below a certain range, the type should probably be "Switched Condition", but that's best held up for a later time. :)

For the signal flare I don't Need they flare any time I'm at a certain distance. The idea is they flare when they see me from the distance, in order to be seen (at night, for example) and then stop flare when I begin approach. So maybe I Need a larger trigger area in which they start flare, and a narrower area in which they stop flare when I get closer. Is It possibile?

I Hope the ATC Channel could be assigned, I'll take a look at the manual.

For the signal flare I don't Need they flare any time I'm at a certain distance. The idea is they flare when they see me from the distance, in order to be seen (at night, for example) and then stop flare when I begin approach. So maybe I Need a larger trigger area in which they start flare, and a narrower area in which they stop flare when I get closer. Is It possibile?

I see.

The flare event only happens once anyway.

I guess the easiest way would be to use, for example, 3 trigger zones (large, medium and small, let's say 5000m, 3000m, 1500m) and use 3 triggers.

The first trigger would launch a flare once you enter the large zone.

The second trigger would launch a flare once you enter the medium zone.

The third trigger would launch a flare once you enter the small zone.

That way you'll get a total of 3 flares as you approach.

There are certainly more elegant ways, for instance you could have the frigate flare continuously as long as you are within a certain range, but then, in order to make it look good, it would probably make sense to use flags and "Time since flag" in order to get a flare every 5 seconds or so. Totally doable, but already a bit advanced. ;)

Another question: is it possible to set an ADF channel on a frigate or a carrier, in order to navigate towards it? And if so, can I prepare my ka-50 ADF device in mission editor to match the ship channel? So that in mission I choose for example ADF channel 1 and it matches with my ship set channel? Now in my mission I start in flight near the frigate, but I could cold stard on the Kuznetsov, take off and ADF navigate towards the frigate and then land on it.

I tried the "Courier" mission, in which you have to land on a Frigate.

I managed to do it, but damaging the front gear.

Have you got a training mission just to try Frigate landing without doing all the mission from start? I admit it, I can't use the mission editor… :music_whistling:

I am using DCS since 2012 iirc, and the ME is still my biggest enemy.

It is sad, that DCS needs a MIT Ph.D in ME to come up with some nice missions.

I refuse to use it until better times. The current state does not do justice to us and DCS.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It is sad, that DCS needs a MIT Ph.D in ME to come up with some nice missions.

Oh, I didn't know I had that Ph D, where can I get the signed copy from MIT? That'll certainly open up some new opportunities. :D

Kidding aside, the ME is clunky, but also extremely powerful. The basics can be learned pretty quickly, and the rest depends mostly on your determination and imagination. If you're even remotely interested in mission building, consider it a challenge, like learning a new aircraft module. ;)

Yes, ME takes a bit of practice, but again, you have to start with simple missions and add complexity as you are progressing. Most new mission builders are often starting with ME thinking they will be able to do some crazy complex stuff right out of the box and failed miserably (did that too).

10 years ago, I remember asking for someone to build a mission for me where I could just start cold and dark my Ka50 from Kutaisi airport. I was freaking clueless with ME, not even able to do something as simple as this (today of course I think it is ultra simple). The craziest part is that someone much nicer than me actually build the mission and sent it to me. It probably took him about 20 seconds to do but wow, that was really kind.

Edited by BaD CrC

Another question: is it possible to set an ADF channel on a frigate or a carrier, in order to navigate towards it?

Had to double check, but I don't think ADF/NDB/VOR can be set up for ships, except that some US ships like the Tarawa and the Nimitz Class Carriers can have a TACAN.

Judging the ME is kind of a relative thing. I've built missions in several different sims/games and find DCS ME to be the best of them. Much more powerful and friendly than the Arma3 ME for instance. There's a learning curve that has nothing to do with the interface. It's a question of becoming comfortable with the concepts of design and logic. Stick with it. Once you break the knowledge barrier it's very rewarding. After getting comfortable with the ME interface you can then take it to the next level with LUA scripting. It's not that difficult to learn and gives you complete power to do virtually anything you want with your missions. ED invests extra time in giving us the tools we need to be creative. There's a lot of great information and good people in the Mission Builders' Corner that can help.

(disclaimer: I'm not a PhD)

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm