GPU Considerations, RTX2060 vs GTX1080Ti

Hello Everyone.

This will be my first post here, but I need a second opinion on a matter.

I recently got into the world of VR, which is quite amazing if I must say so my self. Using the Rift s at the moment.

In preperation for VR I pretty much bought a new pc summer this year.

It is made up from a

Intel I5 9600k, running on 4.7ghz with watercooling

16gigabyte of high performance ram (don't remember the brand of specs at the moment)

2 Samsung Evo850SSD, one being a regular and the other m.2

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II motherboard.

ASUS DUAL-RTX2060-6G-EVO GPU

I had orginally not planned on buying a new GPU, as I had a GTX980 from before.

But I found a little extra money, So i invested in the 2060 card as a budget upgrade.

How ever I find that I have been having problems getting DCS to run properly in VR, I have been trying most guide around to try and run it well. But unless I turn everything way down. It will simply not run smooth.

I found a ad with someone having a 1080ti who want swap for a weaker card, this is the 11gb edition, So i would imagine it would be quite the upgrade compared to the 2060 that I have, even if the 2060 is 2 generations newer?

He is asking roughly 250-300 dollars cash inbetween for the trade?

What are your opinions on this? would it be worth it in the performance? I would probably need to upgrade my PSU aswell, as I am not sure if it would be powerfull enough to feed the 1080ti

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in Advance.

Yes, I think it's worth it. BTW, it's only 1 generation newer, not 2.

You can look online to see the 2 cards being compared across many games to have an idea how much more you can expect. Just make sure the card really works aka is in a good condition.

ANother thing would be to check your resell price for the 2060 on ebay and also look for other 1080ti's being sold, that will give an idea if 250-300 dollars are fair, or not.

True 650 Watt should suffice, your energy consumption should roughly be 50% of that while flying DCS VR. Just make sure you have a GOOD power supply that really delivers what it says.

If you want to buy new, rather grab a 750-850w Platinum grade.

If you list your current PSU and your budget to renew, Demon will for sure chime in and give you good advice what PSU fits your needs and budget. A Seasonic Prime or Focus Plus are what I would suggest. I use Seasonic for every build where longevity and stability is a concern. Expect somewhere 80-140$ for such a PSU, depending on the Tier/Quality of it. Dont buy a 50$ PSU, they all suck, hands down.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The gtx1080ti is basically a huge performance card compare to the Rtx 2060 card despite a generation below the 2000 series cards.

I am surprised you are having stuttering issues with the rtx 2060 when used with a Rift S.

My odyssey plus is doing well with my gtx 1060 with medium graphic setting.

But in any case, if the 1080ti is deemed good and with no issues, it is a good upgrade when compared to the 2060.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Consider warranty's, a lot of 1080ti's were used heavily during the mining craze, a shortened lifespan might result .

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

NVIDIA suggest a 600w for a 1080Ti, but with an I7 at only 3.2Ghz. Your run at 4.7Ghz. 650w is your minimum. Get a 750w if you can.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3714338&postcount=52

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3713321&postcount=51

Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, and more. Corsair VX, TX, TX V2, TXM. Anything OEM of Seasonic or Super Flower (Europe, Asia). Flextronics, Channel Well and Sirtec are good too. https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

How ever I find that I have been having problems getting DCS to run properly in VR, I have been trying most guide around to try and run it well. But unless I turn everything way down. It will simply not run smooth.

What are your expectations on running properly in VR?

With my setup (see signature, i only upgraded to the 32MB RAM very recently, can't tell the difference between 16 or 32 i must say), i can run it decently but not on 80 FPS (80Hz refresh for the Rift-S). I can have 80 at high altitude or in less demanding pit's (A-10C or so) with not much going on, dropping to 40 for other situations. My test mission for the moment is F-16C Instant Action Take-Off mission.

Current VR settings: Terrain and Textures: High, Water Medium, Vis Range: High, MSAA 2x, Anisotropic 16x, all shadows (terrain and cockpit) OFF because i find that i have way to much shimmering from them, PD currently set to 1.5, 1.6 seems OK also, ASW ON.

If set PD higher then 1.6 i see FPS dipping below 40 regulary and this causes stutter so i want at least 40 steady. PD at 1.6 seems to be the limit so i keep it at 1.5 to have a little headroom.

The F-16C Instant Action Take-Off mission always stutters right after take-off, always on the same view points in VR (i can exactly tell when it's going to happen) and then i see the FPS drop quickly and raise again. This does not happen in the same mission in 2D. There it is smooth all the way.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks for the input everyone.

My expectations are that it will run in such a way that I will not percive the wold to get "chopping" when i look out to the side. And that I will at least be able to make some sense of the instruments in VR

Currently it runs very smooth if I run down the setttings all the way down low. I have experimented quite a bit, And Have gotten to a point where I feel I will not be able to get the visuals I want to be able to enjoy VR in DCS as I should.

I also see someone saying used 1080ti's used for mining, which was also one of my concerns, but I found another seller who deals in used parts, and he has a pair of 1080tis which he claims is from a data center which was never put in use, and has documentation for it.

The other good thing is that he is willing to sell all kinds of old computer parts i've been hoarding for years....so I will only have to pay 130 for the swap of the parts (including the 2060) for the 1080ti.

I am hoping to get my hands on the 1080ti next weekend. I will issue my report when I do after some testing :)

Once again thanks for all your input guys