Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?

wagdog

Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?

• Trustmaster HOTAS
    • VR!

Eaglecash, supersampling (i.e. raising pixel density) and msaa don't work good together; if your 2080ti can handle msaa and reverb native resolution without raising pixel density, then surely you have a boost in performance. With my 2070 I keep PD 1.2 and no msaa, and I have about the same performance than with PD 1.0. The big frame dropper Is the combination of the two (msaa and PD). That said, I was quite satisfied even with Rift cv1 that for sure had a poorer visual quality, so I think It Is personal preference and expectations. VR should be tested before buying, because we are all different one each other. Nevertheless, for what I'm concerned I totally agree with you: flying in VR is like flying a plane, flying on a monitor is like watching an interactive movie about flying a plane. I Just wait for a couple of gloves to interact with my phisical hotas and the cockpit without intermediaries, and then I can gladly die! :smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm playing in "serious" mode (Campaigns etc) I use my Rift S with my TM Warthog, as I now have all the systems pretty much down pat. Using mouse click in the cockpit works ok for me too. However, learning it, or a new ac (eg Hornet now) and doing tutorials etc then I need to keep pausing referring to stuff, switching over manuals, to Vaicom Pro etc to see why that's not working (or check that it is) then I prefer the freedom of Track IR and the real world.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

I just dropped a pair of CBU-97's over a convoy with my A-10C in VR and bailed out over the impact zone. While slowly gliding down it was a quite impressing view of the mess i created. After landing on the ground a walked the battlefield on foot and watched how the other guys on the server finished the job. Priceless experience in VR! And the sound was also amazing.

You can walk around!? No way!!! I will try that at once... what about getting out of a cockpit and walking is that possible?

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

Thanks for the reply.

I have an older X52(non-Pro). It’s not great, but it does work. I recently got a decent PC and 35” curved monitor.

That’s why I’m asking; I want something better for my control setup. But, I don’t want to dump my money into the TM HOTAS / TrackIR if a decent VR setup is going to be a better next step.

get VR and get the T16000M Hotas if the Warthog is too much$$. VR is totally worth it, and the T16 does a pretty decent job

I have both, so clearly a bias statement..... but....... Both.

Didn't start with the TMWH, but started with VR as I am a loyal and fanatical iRacing driver. Started with a Thrustmaster T-Flight 4 HOTAS (PS and PC compatible). So I was already massively immersed with the VR and made it work with the T-Flight, using a host of modifiers and others tricks for controlling (or trying) all the aspects of the A10C.

After many, many months of that, I purchased the TMWH and can say that is was an immense difference. Not sure I could quantify which would be larger, the VR or the HOTAS as again, I haven't known anything other than VR for DCS.

But I can say that the TMWH is impressive enough, that I have two of them. One still brand new in the box, never been opened (heard they had some quality/longevity issues and was gifted one for my birthday a year back - so never exchanged/returned it just in case). Point there is, they are a very solid bit of kit. And now, you have the opportunity to get the Hornet stick as an add-on.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

VR - Simply the immersion and 1 to 1 tracking and the SA that provides in the 3D space cannot be compared to 2D. It also has distinct advantages both in terms of general flight (on the tank), ACM and CAS.

Its like comparing jets to propellers.

People that say about spotting - i play with Rift S its excellent. Also there is now VR Zoom options.

Go VR you will not regret it. Put it this way i have an high end 55inch display that is never used anymore!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I have both a RiftS and TrackIR I use the VR for intense sessions and the TrackIR for when I just want to kick back and not put the VR gear on and fly a mission.

If you want to know which is more "immersive" there is no question the answer is VR. It can not be truly experienced until you try it.

what kind of graphic card do you need for VR to be a good experience?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

what kind of graphic card do you need for VR to be a good experience?

Depends on what you mean with a good experience. I user a Rift S with a GTX 1080 and I am quite happy with the experience. But it would definitely be a better experience if I had an RTX 2080TI.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

I recently switched to VR and will not be going back. I actually tried my TrackIR again last night while setting up VoiceAttack, the game looks so beautiful but all the immersion is gone in 2D.

I had a choice when I picked up my Rift S, get a video card now or get the Rift S and get the video card later. I couldn't help it and went for the Rift S instead figuring if it didn't work with my 980ti I could return it and upgrade the video card. Rift S never made it back to Best Buy..lol

After tweaking some settings and OC'ing my 980ti I have a decent enough experience that I can wait until I save up for a 2080 Super.

As for the T16000M I also own this stick, throttle, and rudder and after multiple purchases and quality issues with the X-52 Pro (I bought three at $150 each and all of them went out of whack in about 6-8 months) I am very happy with the T16K. The rudders do take some getting used to but once you get used to it they work very well.

In short, I fully recommend VR, the feeling of being there, the feeling of falling, the immersion is just incredible and well worth it. I will never go back to TrackIR again.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy your DCS experience.

Recent industry stats put VR usage still well under 1% of the PC game market. Until that number is WAY higher it will remain a niche product. Nice, but YEARS to maturing and a mainstream market, if not decades. Many smart people in the industry are saying it may not even continue in its maturity unless significant market acceptance takes place.

Please don't shoot the messenger. It's just the reality from 10000 feet. IT's a chicken and the egg situation.

Why complicate your life? Learn how to fly and blown S$t up and worry about being cool down the road.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Recent industry stats put VR usage still well under 1% of the PC game market. Until that number is WAY higher it will remain a niche product. Nice, but YEARS to maturing and a mainstream market, if not decades. Many smart people in the industry are saying it may not even continue in its maturity unless significant market acceptance takes place.

Please don't shoot the messenger. It's just the reality from 10000 feet. IT's a chicken and the egg situation.

Why complicate your life? Learn how to fly and blown S$t up and worry about being cool down the road.

Would that be called a self-fulfilling prophecy, or a self-defeating one?

There's currently not enough interest to sustain advances in VR technology, so the solution is to add to that problem by not participating in it. Got it. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Would that be called a self-fulfilling prophecy, or a self-defeating one?

There's currently not enough interest to sustain advances in VR technology, so the solution is to add to that problem by not participating in it. Got it. :thumbup:

Yeah... There's usually one... So I should go out and spend a bunch of money on VR hardware and juicing up my system to support that hardware with yet more money to make it work, knowing that a few years from now developers may have no choice but to not support VR, as they can't make any money in it. With all due respect, a fairly arrogant response to my observation. You pass judgement on my choices, as they fail to benefit your choices. Your comment comes across as a bit immature and a wee bit selfish to me.

Consumers will ultimately decide. I believe their collective decisions are beginning to be seen and noticed in the market. Your and my personal views really won't make much difference. Early adapters choose to take the risks. Good for them, and you. Passing judgement on those that choose not to... well...

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Yeah... There's usually one... So I should go out and spend a bunch of money on VR hardware and juicing up my system to support that hardware with yet more money to make it work, knowing that a few years from now developers may have no choice but to not support VR, as they can't make any money in it. With all due respect, a fairly arrogant response to my observation. You pass judgement on my choices, as they fail to benefit your choices. Your comment comes across as a bit immature and a wee bit selfish to me.

Consumers will ultimately decide. I believe their collective decisions are beginning to be seen and noticed in the market. Your and my personal views really won't make much difference. Early adapters choose to take the risks. Good for them, and you. Passing judgement on those that choose not to... well...

The only person who seems to be passing judgment on anybody else is you. I don't have a problem with your choosing not to participate in VR. I just think your argument is a self-defeating one.

Relax buddy. Try not to get so offended. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Well it’s about immersion for me, hence VR. 2D can never compete with 3D for me. And for the record, I don’t think you look cool wearing VR. Probably the opposite. But when you are in a dog fight, or spotting ground targets and rolling in, or literally just flying in general - it’s about the experience. Plain and simple. Oh, and you can learn to employ weapons on target when using VR.... Flight sims and racing sims are a whole different animal with VR, and the good type difference.

Your industry statistics may very well be correct, but haven’t bothered to verify because it doesn’t matter to me - I’ve made my choice, and others shouldn’t base their choice from statistics - they should base them from feeling and desire.

Yes, VR requires more “horsepower or thrust” from your PC, and is most likely more expensive in the end - compared to a $500 peripheral. But you can get more use from that, across more games/programs - compared to a single peripheral.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the self justification.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I do not care about the future of VR, but I do care about its present, and I greatly enjoy It! One day will we play with 4k VR headsets, eye tracking and hand tracking with haptic feedback (I hope so) or Will we all come back to play on a flat monitor screen? I do not know, but what VR offers me right now Is more than I could ever dream of in my childhood, and I am grateful It exists.

I'm a l*o*n*g time simmer. When I place my VR headset on (Rift S), and my headphones, and I activate my chair bass shaker ("Buttkicker"), and I turn on flight radio chatter, I *am* in the plane and I *am* both the hunter and the hunted. The only thing the simulation now lacks are actual g-forces and 360 degree physical movement. Ah maybe some day but for now I am getting a ride I never even knew could be.

I know it stinks that one must have a powerful rig and that can cost. But if you can get there (read: built it yourself!), you will never look back. And looking at a flat screen is like looking at a photograph of a party. In VR, I am in the party.

One definite downside to VR, and I say this with all sincerity. It killed my 2 d gaming. Again think party photograph vice being there. On a positive side, when a new game drops on steam, if it isn't VR, pass. Saved a lot of money so far.

DCS in VR is the only way I fly.

Edited by flameoutme

Yesterday I bought a Rift S since I have a rather low spec PC for VR and even with the limited FOV and rather fuzzy scenery it's a great experience, even for a RW pilot like me.

I can't imagine what an unbelievable experience it must be for people who have never flown a high performance plane IRL.

TIR doesn't provide even 10% if the immersion of VR.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I have to opposite problem as flameoutme. Buying a Rift has cost me money. I stopped flight simming years ago when I became a pilot IRL, and a flat screen just wasn't the same thing. Then I got a Rift and stumbled upon DCS. Now, instead of being satisfied buying two year old games on Steam cheap during sales, I have spent WAY too much money on peripherals and DCS modules, which even on sale, aren't cheap. VR was that much of a game changer for me.