New pc, new instal

My apologies if this is the incorrect section. I also tried the search function but it produces reams of non relevant postings so I will just toss it to the experts.

Just purchased the components for a dedicated Dcs pc.

I9, 2080ti 64Gb ������ ram. I also ordered 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

My question, load windows 10 on the big M.2 drive and everything DCS related on the 500gb m.2?

If not, can someone suggest the best layout for software loading for efficiency keeping in mind im of the older generation so it may not be so obvious to me?

Thanks tons, looking forward to hitting the sky!!

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I'd put windows on the 500gb.

It should be enough for Windows and most applications a general user would have. I have a 256gm for my windows drive and am fine unless I get lazy and save onto desktop.

I have about 300gb of games, but I only have the hornet in terms of dcs downloads.

Best option would be just check you're old computers space used and where it's used. That should tell you how to make it work.

If it happens that one is nvme and the other isn't, then if it's mostly for dcs, then put Dcs on the nvme. (Nvme is faster)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

I'd put windows on the 500gb.

+1 I'd suggest the same, DCS is able to use more space than Windows, my livery collection alone is 45 GB :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks! I will reverse my plan and put windows on the smaller m.2!

I purchased several modules from ed during the sale and will be primarily using the index once up and running. Is steam required for the index? If yes does that go on os drive or DCS drive?

Again, literally 1000’s of page’s already in the forum but its hard to get through it all and know what is still relevant vs what has since been superseded.

Thanks for your help and patience!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Put Windows on the smaller M2 drive and install ALL your games and hardcore apps like Adobe CS or Office2019 etc. on the big M2 drive. The games+apps on the big drive will never run together, so nothing battles for I/O.

I may suggest to put the PageFile of fixed 64GB size on your 2TB Sata SSD.

That way, you have all possibly colliding I/O split up, as much as your Chipset allows.

:thumbup: for the 64GB and multiple SSDs, whoever assisted you did a good job !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, I don't know, whoever assisted did a bad job, OP said he have 64mb RAM :lol:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Thanks, been picking a lot of smart folks brains!

Is there a problem with 64 mb ram? I know most people say 32 is fine but by shit canning all the fancy RGB stuff, I had a little extra coin left over and it really didn’t cost that much extra.

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

Put Windows on the smaller M2 drive and install ALL your games and hardcore apps like Adobe CS or Office2019 etc. on the big M2 drive. The games+apps on the big drive will never run together, so nothing battles for I/O.

I may suggest to put the PageFile of fixed 64GB size on your 2TB Sata SSD.

That way, you have all possibly colliding I/O split up, as much as your Chipset allows.

+1 To this

I have windows on the 500 GB M.2. Windows is also quite small, around 30 GB. Maybe a bit larger now with all the updates.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't see the new PSU?

You must be struggling Demon

giphy.gif

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't see the new PSU?

Not exactly sure where your going with this but if it’s what I think....

Of course the rest of the components are new and matched as well. Last non laptop unit around these parts had a math coprocessor ???? so not planning on reusing anything.

Wasn’t really relevant to the question at hand so I didn’t list it all out.

Was there something you’re getting at that I missed?

Thanks for everybody’s assistance!!!

You might have misunderstood Demon's short post and intention, he's a real good guy and he's da PSU Guru in here. Nobody that I know know's more about those little power boxes than he does. I assume he just wanted to counter check you got a good one that overall fits your picture of high quality and longevity. At least you'd get some detailed info about your PSU, a very critical part in modern PC's with high core count chips and beefy GPUs.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You might have misunderstood Demon's short post and intention, he's a real good guy and he's da PSU Guru in here. Nobody that I know know's more about those little power boxes than he does. I assume he just wanted to counter check you got a good one that overall fits your picture of high quality and longevity. At least you'd get some detailed info about your PSU, a very critical part in modern PC's with high core count chips and beefy GPUs.

I’m obviously new so must have missed that.

Went with a 1200w platinum fully modular.

Figured it should do the trick but admittedly have very little knowledge

So his input is welcome. I can always return what I have.

Thanks!!

You must be struggling Demon

Cant sleep!

?width=400&version=845501

The power supply serves as the beating heart of the computer.

giphy.gif

I’m obviously new so must have missed that.

Went with a 1200w platinum fully modular.

Figured it should do the trick but admittedly have very little knowledge

So his input is welcome. I can always return what I have.

Thanks!!

Platinum?

tenor.gif?itemid=13594441

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

That’s what the box says. I have watched a ton on YouTube about parts selection and communicated with many folks who know more than me on the subject.

This unit seems to have good reviews and I figured if gold was good, platinum must be better.

I guess we shall see how that logic plays out.

I was more concerned about having enough wattage than anything else, not really sure what the certification stuff really means other than it is apparently important enough to be included in most product advertising.

Now if I can only find a place to source a swiss army knife and a cpu installation tool? Anyone have a contact number for the Verge??

What parts are in yet ? time to get going ?

I personally just drop the CPU in the socket by hand, never used any of those CPU installation tools tbh. It's pretty simple, WATCH the triangle marker, align it with the corresponding marker on the socket so it's correctly orientated and let it drop in softly, done.

I have no idea why you would need a Swiss Army Knife, even if it has a Philips PH2 head for screws it will not serve you well..other than for opening all those boxes :)

If all goes well, all you need is a PH2 screw driver, nothing else ( ok, you need a knife for all those boxes ).

Edited by BitMaster

PSU certification means that the PSU will generate less heat (notably for a big, fast CPU and monstrous 2080Ti), the components will last longer because they operate in a cooler environment, the components are better (best) quality. https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx#

I mean, it's a Porsche in your room!

200.webp?cid=790b761131dc30cc26dc60df7cc6a20af3159856528cd5fa&rid=200.webp

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

What brand and model is your PSU ?

Just post the whole damn list, we love PC-Parts P()rn :D

Great to hear, thanks. The swiss army knife was a reference to the scarry how to build a pc video by the Verge. Just a shot at humor.

Still awaiting delivery of a few components. Getting anxious to start the project as I love new experiences! Oh and then time to install DCS and give her a try.

Thanks all!

Biggs make sure you install drivers for your peripherals (HOTAS, Headset?) before plugging them into your computer. Your computer doesn't know what these devices are, and will give them "generic" drivers which will give basic functionality, but cause a lot of problems down the line (i.e. DCS doesn't know your Warthog HOTAS because windows gave it the title "Generic USB Game Device 12345").

I don't know about VR headsets but for the HOTAS it's an absolute pain to delete the driver and install a new one.

Carefully read the instructions that come with your hardware. Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer website. If you put in the effort early you really don't have to think about it again!

Great advise thanks. Would have just plugged my virpil stuff and probably screwed my self from the start.

Will list out all the components I picked out when I get a chance.